JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got my CHL in the mail yesterday and now that I just started carrying, I'm wondering if anyone's actually gotten their CHL suspended or revoked because someone spotted your gun.

Over the weekend, I've been a little on the paranoid side and have constantly been checking to see if my shirt wasn't caught behind the handle. I have a P2000 and carry IWB, but I'm still a little concerned.

Is "printing" enough for you to lose your license? Or if someone actually does spot your gun (or thinks he sees a gun), is it just your word against theirs? Does there need to be evidence (video surveillance or picture) of you carrying a gun or can you be detained until police arrive?

No no, Oregon is an open-carry state. Meaning that you don't even need a CHL to carry a handgun, as long as it's NOT concealed.

Now, there are seven cities in Oregon where the city gov'ts have enacted "loaded weapon carry bans", so that any carried handgun MUST have an empty chamber and an empty [inserted] magazine/cylinder.

However, those bans specifically exempt CHL holders, so you're good whether you choose to conceal or not.

The main legal effects of the CHL is that it makes concealed carry legal for the CHL holder, as well as exempting you from local "loaded weapon" carry bans enacted by city governments and bans against carrying firearms in certain public buildings.

They can't take away a CHL [in Oregon, at least] because of two factors: one, that open carry is completely legal in Oregon (so if you see someone openly wearing a pistol in a holster, don't freak out! It's completely legal!), and two, that concealed carry in Oregon does NOT mean concealed ONLY carry.

TL;DR - you're good, don't worry about it.

I doubt it. Not sure though.

I was pretty paranoid for a while. And now, 8 years later I can honestly say that I am so used to it being there that I actually went into the post office once and forgot about having the gun!@!!!!!

One bit of advice though, be careful about checking your gun in public. You mention about checking to make sure your shirt didnt get caught on the grip or something... You could give yourself away depending on how you check it. Even if you arent exposing it, moving towards your hip w/ your hand is a pretty recognizable motion, and that could cause as much trouble as actually showing it.

Fine choice of a carry weapon.

No, as long as you're not holding it or purposely displaying it aggressively, you've got no worries about brandashing. Use your head.

Even though you MAY have law enforcement called on you, and depending on how old you are, etc, you will probably be hassled. Yet, you cannot have your license revoked.

Surely the others here will explain how the open carry/unloaded/loaded/concealed carry laws apply in Washington County.

No no, Oregon is an open-carry state. Meaning that you don't even need a CHL to carry a handgun, as long as it's NOT concealed.

Now, there are seven cities in Oregon where the city gov'ts have enacted "loaded weapon carry bans", so that any carried handgun MUST have an empty chamber and an empty [inserted] magazine/cylinder.

However, those bans specifically exempt CHL holders, so you're good whether you choose to conceal or not.

The main legal effects of the CHL is that it makes concealed carry legal for the CHL holder, as well as exempting you from local "loaded weapon" carry bans enacted by city governments and bans against carrying firearms in certain public buildings.

They can't take away a CHL [in Oregon, at least] because of two factors: one, that open carry is completely legal in Oregon (so if you see someone openly wearing a pistol in a holster, don't freak out! It's completely legal!), and two, that concealed carry in Oregon does NOT mean concealed ONLY carry.

TL;DR - you're good, don't worry about it.

+1

I had a Portland PD stop me once and threaten to arrest me. After we were done he stated that he would see to it that Multnomah County revoked my CCL. That never happened.

ORS 163.170 section C I believe is the statute that gives us the right to open carry.

+1

I had a Portland PD stop me once and threaten to arrest me. After we were done he stated that he would see to it that Multnomah County revoked my CCL. That never happened.

ORS 163.170 section C I believe is the statute that gives us the right to open carry.

Talk about feeling the heat. The reasoning seems purely emotional with these people, as they have no logical reason to want to take weapons away from law abiding people such as ourselves.

epkptp, I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of the most recent edition of "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws" by Kevin Starrett, who is the head of the Oregon Firearms Federation. It very clearly explains our gun laws, and includes the text of the relevant ORS.

epkptp, I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of the most recent edition of "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws" by Kevin Starrett, who is the head of the Oregon Firearms Federation. It very clearly explains our gun laws, and includes the text of the relevant ORS.

<broken link removed> is one place you can get it. Also, try OFF's booth on the next PDX Gun Show.

Thanks, I'll check out the book.

That's strange, I thought I heard my CHL instructor say something about open carrying in Portland and Beaverton being illegal? He meant open carrying with a loaded gun? I'm really confused now...

That's strange, I thought I heard my CHL instructor say something about open carrying in Portland and Beaverton being illegal? He meant open carrying with a loaded gun? I'm really confused now...

my instructor said the same thing. but as long as you poses a valid CCL you can open or concealed carry in Portland and Beaverton. PM me if you have any questions...

Yes, he meant LOADED open carry.

Although the purpose of carrying an unloaded weapon (essentially reducing it to the level of a misshapen hand club) is clearly a matter of debate, the part of the city ordinance which attempts to ban loaded magazines is plainly unenforceable, and on quite shaky legal ground (read: specifically barred by the State Legislature, which reserves for itself the ability to regulate firearms components, of which a magazine is one).

Technically, you could have an empty chamber, and two (or more) loaded magazines in pouches on the other side of your body. Anything goes down, slap a mag in, rack the slide and you're good to go.

what do you mean we dont have a brandashing really!!!! so what does that mean not that im going to but were aloud to point and stuff?

Whoops, missed that one -- I was meaning to reply to both of these in my previous post.

No, you're not allowed to point your weapon at another person, unless they constitute a threat etc. etc. That's covered in the Menacing statute.

And, about the "stuff" -- I don't know. ;)

hahah AND STUFF sorry dont know why i said that but i thought brandashing ment pointing at your firearm or say hey stop i do have a gun thing along those lines. am i mistakin?

The only Oregon bill I could Google up about it used the phrase "holding the weapon in a threatening or aggressive manner".

The bill didn't pass the Oregon House though, thankfully, since we already have a "Menacing" statute, which pretty much covers the same thing.

Fortunately, the language from the Menacing statute - ORS163.190 -"if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury" as well as all the other assualt and firearm type statutes, are covered by "Justification" which'd be ORS162.190 - ORS162.265, those are the statutes which cover self-defense in Oregon.

Whatever you do, just make sure it follows the letter of the law; that way, when the police interfere with you exercising your rights (if you're unlucky) you can sue the pants off 'em!

Yes, he meant LOADED open carry.

Although the purpose of carrying an unloaded weapon (essentially reducing it to the level of a misshapen hand club) is clearly a matter of debate, the part of the city ordinance which attempts to ban loaded magazines is plainly unenforceable, and on quite shaky legal ground (read: specifically barred by the State Legislature, which reserves for itself the ability to regulate firearms components, of which a magazine is one).

Technically, you could have an empty chamber, and two (or more) loaded magazines in pouches on the other side of your body. Anything goes down, slap a mag in, rack the slide and you're good to go.

The magazine information is very incorrect. (This is for Portland, but the other cities have similar statutes)
<broken link removed>
B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

And here is a link to sites for each individual cities statutes. But again like it's been said, CHL holders are exempt from the ban on "loaded OC" within those 7 cities.
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads