JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The magazine information is very incorrect. (This is for Portland, but the other cities have similar statutes)
<broken link removed>

Copied and pasted from another forum:

Follow my logic:
166.170 State preemption.
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.
(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 &#167;1]
166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.
(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 &#167;4; 1999 c.782 &#167;8]

Note that nowhere in ORS 166.170 - 176 is there any authorization for a "county, city or other municipal corporation or district" to restrict or prohibit the possession or transportation of ammunition, or magazines (empty or not)...only firearms.

A magazine is NOT a firearm...it is a component, and as such is specifically exempt from regulation by the above mentioned political subdivisions.

IMO, so long as the magazine is not attached to the firearm then neither Portland nor any other political subdivision has any lawful authority to dictate whether it may contain ammunition or not as to do so would be regulating the 'possession' of ammunition, and (firearm) components.

It is worthy to note, however, that Portland's ordinance probably is unenforceable as it conflicts with state preemption regarding the possession and transportation of ammunition and firearms components....something the state HAS NOT specifically granted governmental subdivisions the authority to do.

Yet.
166.170 State preemption.
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly. (2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 &#167;1]

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 &#167;4; 1999 c.782 &#167;8]

A magazine is NOT a firearm...it is a COMPONENT.

Neither Portland nor Beaverton, nor any other city, county, or municipality has the authority to regulate or prohibit carry of a loaded magazine so long as said magazine is NOT inserted into the firearm, as to do so would be regulating the 'possession, storage, or transportation of firearm components (and) ammunition' . Authorization to do so MUST be EXPRESSLY granted by state statute, which means it would be listed in the ORS's.

It's not.

Such prohibitions on loaded, unattached magazines, IMO, directly conflict with state preemption and are unenforceable.

EDIT: Also, this remains untested, I Am Not A Lawyer, etc. But from what I can gather, the poster of the quotes I've provided above would be logically and legally correct.

Carrying a weapon is an inherently dangerous activity, and we must always DO SO AT OUR OWN RISK, although this part of the thread outlines a particular risk that isn't necessarily the first one that comes to mind...

Slightly off topic,

What are the laws regarding carry if you are drunk? Either publicly or in case of a DUI?

Also, what effect does a misdemeanor have on carry status? Or if you are carrying while committing a misdemeanor?

No no, Oregon is an open-carry state. Meaning that you don't even need a CHL to carry a handgun, as long as it's NOT concealed.

Now, there are seven cities in Oregon where the city gov'ts have enacted "loaded weapon carry bans", so that any carried handgun MUST have an empty chamber and an empty [inserted] magazine/cylinder.

However, those bans specifically exempt CHL holders, so you're good whether you choose to conceal or not.

The main legal effects of the CHL is that it makes concealed carry legal for the CHL holder, as well as exempting you from local "loaded weapon" carry bans enacted by city governments and bans against carrying firearms in certain public buildings.

They can't take away a CHL [in Oregon, at least] because of two factors: one, that open carry is completely legal in Oregon (so if you see someone openly wearing a pistol in a holster, don't freak out! It's completely legal!), and two, that concealed carry in Oregon does NOT mean concealed ONLY carry.

TL;DR - you're good, don't worry about it.

last Month a Lady had a CHL but took an open carry gun to a kids soccer game. FREAKED people out, and had her CHL revoked.:huh:

last Month a Lady had a CHL but took an open carry gun to a kids soccer game. FREAKED people out, and had her CHL revoked.:huh:

If you are referring to the national news story. That was a woman in PA, not OR. She had here permit revoked, due to a clause in the state legislature that allowed for the revoking of the permit for ill fit individuals, the judge saw her to be ill fit. This ruling was over turned and she was given back her CHL. She was later shot buy her husband in a murder/suicide.

Slightly off topic,

What are the laws regarding carry if you are drunk? Either publicly or in case of a DUI?

Also, what effect does a misdemeanor have on carry status? Or if you are carrying while committing a misdemeanor?

I wouldn't want to be in that position on any side. I thought it was illegal to carry while drinking, drunk, ect.

Not that a drunk guy is going to stop and say "Oh, better go home and drop off my gun!"

Don't know for sure either.. But I doubt you'll get much sympathy from the court if you carry while committing a crime (at least one you intended to commit)

Once but got it re-instated.they found out I had a couple black belts,at least that was the excuse.The chief said I didn't need it.I quickly got it squared away and he was looking for another job.apparently I wasn't the only one he had revoked.seemed he was on a roll to strip everyone of their right to carry.Some of the reasons he gave was.walk into a bar,have a drink,packing or not,you lose it.run a red light(any traffic violation)you lose it.pretty much anything he deemed was the reason..this was back in the 80's.

I thought it was illegal to carry while drinking, drunk, ect.

There are no laws regarding carrying @ bars, etc. in Oregon. Although individual establishments can have their own rules not allowing ANY guns, CHL or no.

I have never heard or read any specifics regarding carrying under the influence. DUI and public drunkenness are misdemeanors.

Obviously you will get a ration of sht from the police, and rightly so... but what does the law actually say?

Just curious,what government buildings cancannot carry in? My wife and I have been having this debate for awhile now. She works at a bank and said she saw someone carrying inside(through there shirt),I didn't think it was legal to carry in any government building.

You cannot carry in any Federal buildings, incl. the Post Office, Social Security office, etc.

I think any State office would have restrictions, at least have something posted on the door. Ive carried in the DMV and have never seen any signs? Not sure about the Unemployment office or DHS or something else????

County and City are okay unless posted near the entrance.

But then again, you may want to give the sheriff's office a call and ask them to be sure.

Just curious,what government buildings cancannot carry in? My wife and I have been having this debate for awhile now. She works at a bank and said she saw someone carrying inside(through there shirt),I didn't think it was legal to carry in any government building.
A Bank isn't a federal building and I sincerely hope I'm not the only one that carries while doing business in a bank. Talk about a target of opportunity especially the way crime is rising lately.

I keep reading all of these news articles about armed roberies and think to myself. Do these idiots really have a clue of how dangerous that is. At anytime a person with a CHL could take them out of the gene pool. And their taking this risk for what a couple hundred dollars!?!?!? They're either crazy or r e t a r d e d if you ask me.

A Bank isn't a federal building and I sincerely hope I'm not the only one that carries while doing business in a bank. Talk about a target of opportunity especially the way crime is rising lately.

I keep reading all of these news articles about armed roberies and think to myself. Do these idiots really have a clue of how dangerous that is. At anytime a person with a CHL could take them out of the gene pool. And their taking this risk for what a couple hundred dollars!?!?!? They're either crazy or r e t a r d e d if you ask me.

+1:s0155:

Is it written anywhere Oregon's or Multnomah's procedure for revoking a license? I can't seem to find any statutes that list reasons for revocation.

ORS 166.293 - basically, anything that would cause a permit application to be denied is grounds for revocation. The Sheriff needs to serve you with a notice of revocation, and you can file an appeal petition with the county court.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top