JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Exactly the reason I will buy a Savage that has acceptable accuracy, trigger pull etc. out of the box:D All I need it to do is poke a hole in whatever I'm aimed at.:s0155:

Yep that is a great way to go. The guns I have built up, costing, well I am not going to talk about cost, really don't do much or any better then some of the guns you can pull from a box these day.

I only do it because I enjoy the process.:D

That and I really like old Iron.

Yep that is a great way to go. The guns I have built up, costing, well I am not going to talk about cost, really don't do much or any better then some of the guns you can pull from a box these day.

I only do it because I enjoy the process.:D

That and I really like old Iron.

Someday I may enjoy that kind of luxury.... but.... with 4 kids, a full time job and being a volunteer firefighter I'd rather be able to shoot guns with what little spare time I have then make them look good:p

Someday I may enjoy that kind of luxury.... but.... with 4 kids, a full time job and being a volunteer firefighter I'd rather be able to shoot guns with what little spare time I have then make them look good:p
Ah yea, I get that very well. I havn't built anything new since the coming of my awesome twins.

Have a couple striped actions ready to go........

I'll get back to my 6.5-06 project some day.

Usmc asked to clarify, so here I go:

I do not consider myself an "expert". e/e asked for credentials, and so I provided some.

My stipulation remains as original: I believe the Remington is a better gun. Outta the box a better gun. I believe that in the majority and based on my experience the Remington will outshoot the Savage. Not every time, not every gun, but in the majority, and certainly in my experience.

I believe the Savage is a very good rifle. I believe e/e made the right choice for his purposes: the average guy who wants a new gun and is trying to save some money. Very important to a family man. Very important. More important than a claimed measure of "better gun" from a (not self-proclaimed) internet "expert", based on nearly 40 years experience. Especially when that experience has told e/e repeatedly that the Savage is a very good rifle and probably the best for his purposes.

As for "when you want to get serious"... I believe persons of lengthy experience and knowledge of both guns, and seeking a gun that has a nearly unequaled reputation for accuracy: in the field, competition, and military worldwide, would choose the Remington. (IF he wasn't a family man, trying to save money: MUCH more important than any rifle's reputation.)

I believe this choice would be made even if the buyer intended to leave the rifle box/stock. But serious riflemen with lengthy experience rarely if ever leave ANYTHING box/stock. The Savage and the Remington both can be improved dramatically even on a limited budget and limited skill. Neither gun "needs" it. It is what we do to realize the very best of our equipment.

My questions weren't an attempt to rile you Spit, I hope you realize that. In my book, you having 40 years of experience vs. my 30 years on this earth, makes you pretty much an expert! I haven't customized a single rifle, so once again, you're experience is much more than mine.

With that said, the Remington contract with the military was more political than practical. Had the military stayed with the Winchester Model 70 that was the original "sniper" rifle, we would probably be having this discussion about that rifle instead of the 700.

For every 1 Savage lover, there are probably 2 Remington lovers. Everyone needs something a little bit different than the next person. I too believe that e & e made the right decision for himself. Most important is that he is happy with his rifle, and that it does everything HE needs it to.

All I see here is Remington vs Savage. Does the Mauser MkX come in 7mm?. I have personal knowledge of a basic model in .30-06 that shoots = or < m.o.a. without gingerbread add-ons. The M98 has been proven in conditions most of us will never see the like of. Just a suggestion.

iusmc2002, and all:

Second guy here who thinks he may have offended me in some way, and I guess some of it is my fault. I don't do a very good job of "forumspeak": I talk on here the way I would talk to you face-to-face, and even that, I will admit is more abrupt and to the point than is comfortable for most people.

My statement that I am not an expert, is exactly that; I do not consider myself one. In no way was I taking i-2's consideration of me as an expert as an affront or challenge.

"Forumspeak", in my opinion is much too replete with people "walking on eggshells" around each other. Far too replete with, "IMHO", "Just my $.02", or "I'm just sayin'", and smiley face (and other) icons utilized when their purpose is to "smooth over" something the sender has stated. (I do use icons, but never to smooth over an opinion.)

On the other hand, the recipient of an opinion is very often way too thin-skinned: Tell a guy his .270 is adequate for chipmunks and crows, and nobody with any respect for an elk would ever carry one even in the general direction of where elk reside, and he reacts as if his little sister got hit with a dirt clod containing a rock deliberately inserted.

I will certainly lose in my crusade here for all to say what you think, be respectful but not condescending, and your well-considered opinion needs no entreatments or decoration to stand on its own. But I will crusade on---for direct, honest and respectful exchange. I will continue to be too direct: here and face-to-face.

I yield the soapbox.

Okay, I don't yield the soapbox, but different subject:

RevJen45's post initially struck me as off the trail, but he actually brings up something very relevant, and we shouldn't forget that e/e originally asked about a Mossberg gun before we all dragged him down SAVREM lane.

The Interarms MarkX guns are not to be overlooked. They are based on the tried and true 98 Mauser action, and generally, fit and finish are superb. If you can find one built prior to the Bosnian conflict, the quality is extremely good, and the barrels of very high quality. (If I am not mistaken, these guns came out of the Czech Republic or Yugoslavia.)

I also believe they are a sort of derivative from the old British Parker-Hale line of commercial Mauser sporting guns. I think most of the MarkX's are marked "Manchester England". The Parker-Hale established itself as an extremely high-quality gun for the money, and very accurate.

I have two of the Interarms Mini-MarkX rifles. One is original, in .223, and the other began is life as caliber 7.62x39. I had it rebarreled to .25 PPC.

The fit and finish on these miniature mausers is not to be equaled. High-luster blue, flawless polish, and wood-to-metal fit is excellent. These are also impressive shooters, as anyone who's owned one will attest. Unfortunately, the factory they came out of was the first thing blown to smithereens at the outset of the Bosnian War.

Now here's where I get off the Remington boat: (maybe this is what Mookie was referring to, in part): Remington has chosen to put their name on what they call the "798" and "799": these are Mauser actioned (large and mini) guns (again I believe out of Yugoslavia). Perhaps the factory was rebuilt.

However, the fit and finish on the 798's and 799's that I have seen is absolutely deplorable. They are not guns I would be proud to show someone and claim they were mine. I believe Remington is putting their name on a crude over-under shotgun as well. All bad ideas, that cost Remington a lot of respect in my eyes. The concept was good: the fact the guns look half-baked is a huge problem where reputation is concerned.

So I was talking to a friend of mine at church yesterday and he had a Rem 700 with a stainless barrel he sold to me. I should have talked to him a few weeks ago:rolleyes:
Is it bad of me to talk about guns at church? How's the saying go? ...... God, guns and family:D

Hey Spitpatch..
I don't know you from Adam. Nor do I have a dog in the REMSAV debate, as I'm a WINRUGMAR guy....
But I've enjoyed the heck out of reading your posts and your use of our language.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Mark

e/e:
Well, now. "Ah say, Ah say, Seems summa whut I wuz sayin' stuck under that baby blue bonnet of yours, Boy!" (Foghorn Leghorn).

I sincerely hope the 700 7mm you bought from a friend is not the one your friend had that he loaded for. (Same friend? Same gun?)

What model? Stainless barrel/blued receiver?.

Congratulations! You won't regret it.

e/e:
Well, now. "Ah say, Ah say, Seems summa whut I wuz sayin' stuck under that baby blue bonnet of yours, Boy!" (Foghorn Leghorn).

I sincerely hope the 700 7mm you bought from a friend is not the one your friend had that he loaded for. (Same friend? Same gun?)

What model? Stainless barrel/blued receiver?.

Congratulations! You won't regret it.

Different mutual friend. The guy I bought this from said he 'sighted it in' once right after he bought it this summer. Fired two shots at 100 yards and they both went through the same hole right on the bulls eye. He figured that was good enough.
This 700 has a stainless barrel but a blued/black receiver. Has it been re-barreled or is it normal for the receiver to be a different color? Another interesting thing is that the serial number on the receiver is four digits (22xx). I haven't researched that but wouldn't that make it a rather old model? Seems to me that most firearms nowadays have 5 or 6 digit serial number often times with a letter or two thrown in for good measure.
Anyway, I'm really excited to have it and am hoping to fire off a few rounds this weekend!

Some of the newer models indeed do have a dark receiver and stainless (silver) barrel. This is good where the 7mm Rem is concerned, since it is definitely what is called an "overbore" cartridge, and can be hard on barrels if it is shot very frequently. Remington actually initially came out with stainless barrels on the 700 for the 7mm, and tried really hard to blue the stainless with mixed results. These old stainless barrels are marked as stainless on the logo, even though they are "blued".

Though I am a 700 fan, I never really paid much attention to serial number research, as I never considered them collector's items. The presence of a "safety lock" feature on the cocking piece might indicate a newer receiver, but this is not gospel either, since my most recent one doesn't have it. With a 4-digit # on yours, I'd bet it is a very early receiver, and has been rebarreled. This is also a plus, since if done correctly, extra attention was probably given to headspacing, etc. Is it a Remington barrel? What stock is on the gun?

Happy shooting!

Some of the newer models indeed do have a dark receiver and stainless (silver) barrel. This is good where the 7mm Rem is concerned, since it is definitely what is called an "overbore" cartridge, and can be hard on barrels if it is shot very frequently. Remington actually initially came out with stainless barrels on the 700 for the 7mm, and tried really hard to blue the stainless with mixed results. These old stainless barrels are marked as stainless on the logo, even though they are "blued".

Though I am a 700 fan, I never really paid much attention to serial number research, as I never considered them collector's items. The presence of a "safety lock" feature on the cocking piece might indicate a newer receiver, but this is not gospel either, since my most recent one doesn't have it. With a 4-digit # on yours, I'd bet it is a very early receiver, and has been rebarreled. This is also a plus, since if done correctly, extra attention was probably given to headspacing, etc. Is it a Remington barrel? What stock is on the gun?

Happy shooting!

It is a remington barrel. The stock is (I assume) walnut with a small cheek piece. Not is big of a cheek piece as I've seen on other rifles but nice to have none the less.
The barrel is not free floated. Is that something I could do/have done if I wanted to. Would it affect accuracy much?

It is a remington barrel. The stock is (I assume) walnut with a small cheek piece. Not is big of a cheek piece as I've seen on other rifles but nice to have none the less.
The barrel is not free floated. Is that something I could do/have done if I wanted to. Would it affect accuracy much?

Most of the time, not always, free floating help.

Easy to do. I generally use a wooden dowel that is just bigger than the barrel, wrap in 220grit sandpaper, sand evenly down until free float is achieved.

If doing that, glass bed would also be good.

However reading your post on two shots through the same hole, maybe not worth missing with if it works.

Dittos on don't mess if it ain't broke. Shoot it first, preferably with a handload that has shot well in your buddy's 7mm.

Dittos again on not doing the freefloat unless you glass bed as well. I would only depart from Gehrheart's technique in that I would use a bit rougher grade than 220 to get what I needed to get out of the way, then finish with the 220.

e/e: if you decide your gun could benefit from a glass bed job and free-floating, I can talk you through it. Your only expense will be the glass bed kit, sandpaper, patience, time, and borrowing a dremel tool. (I like Brownells Acraglas Gel). Other threads have shown that techniques/materials are nearly as varied as the posters on the threads.

It is not something to do without guidance, unless like me you have to learn things the hard way.

Yea I generally start with a rougher grade, however, I have not seen said stalk nor how much would need to be taken off. And this would be his first attempt, working from the whole so reliable Internet:D

Can start with 80 or 100, just be care full not to take to much out.

I have been using Devcon Aluminum epoxy putty on the last couple jobs and very pleased with it.

Redoing a stalk for an all original 1920 Remington model 30 right now (there is something you don't see often)

Thanks for the advice gents. If it isn't pouring down rain too hard this weekend then I hope to have a chance to test fire. I'll let you know the results.

I do finish carpentry for a living so I know how detrimental it can be to remove to much material. No matter how many times you cut it it never gets longer:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top