JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time to start stocking up on Wheat Berries and grinding our own flour.
1647283443118-png.png

That orange bag?

That is vacuum packed 20# of whole wheat flour. I also have several largish packs of dry yeast in the freezer.

Sometimes Costco has the flour packed like that, sometimes they don't. Last time I looked, they did not. I think I gave my kids the same thing to store at their house (they have the bread maker, I don't).

I think before bread/etc. disappears off the shelves, it will get quite a bit more expensive - between inflation, low harvest, high fuel prices.

I also store some oats and Farina for breakfast. Rolled oats go a long ways, and Farina does too - I mix them together. Rolled oats are a good filler for other meal components, like meat loaf. I suppose you could grind them too for baking.

I did notice, last night, a few things had increased in price.

In other news:

You can't make this up. Now they are talking about sending out inflation checks to everyone. It is obvious the goal is the destruction of the dollar. So sad they blame gas hikes and inflation on Putin. Sadder still is most people believe the constant brainwashing via CNN and others. Bought out corp/gov 'news' since 1996.

The bottom line is the vast majority of people gobble up every lie like candy so we are headed further into a decade of decline and tyranny. Food pricing bad now? Wait a year. Other than that, enjoy the buffet.

Miserable disgusting incompetent in in the White House.
Administration littered with incompetent affirmative action appointments.
Administration littered with Dem garbage recycled from prior Dem administrations.

According to these people we are required to have food shortages, energy shortages, high energy costs, 180,000 illegal aliens a month crashing our borders, federal appointments based on skin color rather than content of character/competence, cover ups of the Biden crime family operations.......and on and on.

The case for active resistance is getting stronger every day.

We normally buy canned beans but they are running at least 50 cents a can these days, even on sale. I bought a pound of dry pinto beans for a buck. This morning I am trying to cook them in the instapot. If they come out well I am going to stock up on about 10 pounds or so of them and buy some more rice to use as extenders for ground beef and chicken dishes. I finally scored some eggs on sale but I had to buy the 60 pack at Safeway ($5 Friday deal). We will be eating more eggs than usual for the next month.

Edit: 30mins in instapot was not enough, I am throwing another 15mins at them. I did not soak these beans before cooking them.

2nd edit: adding another 15min was more than enough time. Next time I will try 35 or 40mins from the start.

Last Edited:
We normally buy canned beans but they are running at least 50 cents a can these days, even on sale. I bought a pound of dry pinto beans for a buck. This morning I am trying to cook them in the instapot. If they come out well I am going to stock up on about 10 pounds or so of them and buy some more rice to use as extenders for ground beef and chicken dishes. I finally scored some eggs on sale but I had to buy the 60 pack at Safeway ($5 Friday deal). We will be eating more eggs than usual for the next month.

Edit: 30mins in instapot was not enough, I am throwing another 15mins at them. I did not soak these beans before cooking them.

2nd edit: adding another 15min was more than enough time. Next time I will try 35 or 40mins from the start.
Lentils cook much faster and have better nutrition. You can cook red lentils into paste (very easy to do - just cook a little longer) and mix it with ground beef as a meat extender.

I ordered a flour mill (Mockmill 100), and getting ready to buy grains to store. The grains can be stored for years (if not decades) as long as they are keep dry and free of bugs. The idea is to mill the amount of flour that you will cook with because the milled flour will go rancid after about a week once the flour is exposed to oxygen. The flour can be stored in a freezer to extend the shelf life for mayby a month or so. The flour you buy from the store has been bleached and processed to remove many of the nutrients and vitamins to extend the shelf life. Milling your own flour has all of the nutrients and vitamins and taste great.
Ron

I ordered a flour mill (Mockmill 100), and getting ready to buy grains to store. The grains can be stored for years (if not decades) as long as they are keep dry and free of bugs. The idea is to mill the amount of flour that you will cook with because the milled flour will go rancid after about a week once the flour is exposed to oxygen. The flour can be stored in a freezer to extend the shelf life for mayby a month or so. The flour you buy from the store has been bleached and processed to remove many of the nutrients and vitamins to extend the shelf life. Milling your own flour has all of the nutrients and vitamins and taste great.
Ron
You can buy vacuum packed whole wheat organic flour at Costco.

Also, there is a LDS store near St. Paul (or you can buy it online - it costs more though) where you can by canned hard red or white wheat in #10 cans:

Reminds me of "pink slime". Yummy. o_O
As long as it is properly burnt to a crisp. :D

Your typical "hot dog" or even some "sausages" (Bar-S brand) are basically very finely ground meats - AKA "pink slime".

Lentils mixed with ground meat are probably better for you - same with oats. Try it with meatloaf.

I used to work with a lot of Indians (from India, not Native Americans) who often ate foods where lentils or lentil "paste" was a major part of the dish. Chickpeas too (humus). Hominy is a good thing to mix in with a dish - the processed cord soaks up flavors and can be ground into cornmeal for making cornbread/tortillas/tamales/etc. - hominy is also much more digestible than canned yellow corn.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top