JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are fun, I picked up a shop smith as a drill press, disc sander & lathe, it does a pretty good job at it too. Craigslist often has them priced fairly reasonably.

Well, at 3/4 hp you have plenty of steam for a machine that small. 4 position tool posts aren't the easiest for adjusting tool height but the tools can be shimmed. I'd run 1/4" hss tools if youre going to hand grind them (less material to remove). You'll want a pedestal/bench grinder for tool grinding. Most low end grinders come with stones that are too coarse and too hard but ypu can get by if you dress them regularly (to expose new sharp rocks. Hard wheels don't break down as fast so the rocks get dull).
Since it has thread cutting capability, learn to chase threads. It's a useful skill. There are a lot of YouTube videos. Most of the ones I've looked at weren't very good, especially when chasing internal threads but they'll get you started. You can learn speeds and feeds by playing with it. Just remember, if you're using high speed steel tools, either lathe bits or drill bits, if you're cutting steel and getting brown or blue chips, you're going too fast. Red chips are right out unless you like regrinding tools a lot. Aluminum is much easier and more forgiving but some things gotta be steel.

Looks like youll want a small #2 Morse taper shank drill chuck for holding drill bits in the tailstock. I say small because you dont have a lot of length between centers and the drill chuck will use some of that.

Good on ya for taking the plunge. I would have recommended something a bit larger if you could swing it but you'll have fun with this. The metal cutting lathe is about the closest thing to real magic you can get ;)

what 'ownerus' say's. I have an older Grizzly model that is one size larger than yours with 9" throw and 20" work length . small lathes are Soooooo handy for small trimming/cutting/truing up faces and threading . just have to get used to taking smaller bits off the work .
Just get to know your Ways, because will/won't ? ( it's ChiCom built ) . will flow +/- a few thousandths in and out moving down your tailstock positioning . I have even muzzle threaded 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 pistol and short barrel on mine and does great .

For cutting and 'weight' you will find small Lathes at 300 Lb. and then boom they will jump to you moving 1200 Lb. with a forklift.. There not much in-between size 'Small and Big' for Lathes ....LOL .

Yea, instant tool holder, the wall, the ceiling, your forhead..............
They can throw a key pretty far! LOL

I have not heard it in a while but I know I would still recognize that sound when someone fires up a Mill and the Drawbar Hammer is still there. Watched a guy reach up and grab one one time. He did hit the power but one of those act first, think second, he tried to grab it. He got lucky that it got him in the palm rather that the back of the hand so no real damage. Lot of pain. After we made sure nothing was needing hospital I said "well I bet you'll never do that again". He did laugh through the pain as he was showing me I was #1 with his good hand :)

I just bought a Grizzly 8688 mini lathe but would love some hands on help. I live in SE Salem.

If no one here is close and wants to show youtube would be almost as good. It's really not anything "hard" to do safely as long as some common sense is used. It should be a lot of fun while you learn. When I went back to School for CNC training 20 years ago the instructor had what many did not like as a way of running his class. No matter where you were on the knowledge line he had you start with basic stuff. Handed you 4 pieces of tool steel blank and you had to make a right, left, radius, and thread tool. Then you used the tools you had just made to make a set of T-Slot bolts out of round stock. A lot of the younger guys did not like this. I was old enough by then to just do what I was told. I actually had fun doing it. A lot of the guys doing this had never used a Mill or lathe. As long as they did as told no one got hurt. After making the T-Slot bolts he had us make a Machinist Hammer. I still see that hammer now and then when looking for a tool. Brings back fond memories of making it. Enjoy the new tool, you will have fun learning it.

When I bought my place years ago, I inquired about getting 3ph brought in. Being strategically located between the 3ph runs they'd have to extend the lines about 1/4 mile in addition to transformers etc. The quick guess was about $5k. In other words, ain't happening. I already had a converter for my one machine that needed it at the time so no big deal. If you're going to go bigger, don't let 3ph scare you off. There are several ways to skin that cat. Theres solid state ones that I've never used but i think end up being one per machine. There's mechanical rotophases that are essentially a big 3ph motor with some starting capacitors and stuff so it will start on single phase. It then generates a pseudo 3rd phase. Runs motors pretty well, not sure how they'd be on computer circuitry on a straight 3ph cnc. My only cnc is single phase so no problem there. They'll run several machines at a time if they're sized right. Rotophases are available commercially. Also there's guy near Newburg who makes (or did) a pretty nice one at a better than others price or you can build your own. Some guys pony a single phase motor onto a 3ph one just to spin it for starting. There's also some stuff on the net if you want to make your own. Opens a lot of options in acquiring bigger and used machines.

Do realize you've stepped into a bottomless pit. There is literally no end to the tools you'll "need". Lathes... mills...grinders.. drill presses..welding equipment... bigger lathes/mills... measuring tools... CAD programs...air compressors... forklifts. And endless cutting tools, chucks, collets..
Ad infinitum. Enjoy the ride;)

I've got one spotted but have no idea of it's value. Could someone that knows this stuff please give me a call: 541-868-7493.
I'm a "shade tree" mechanic but don't know anything about fixing lathes. I'm wondering if anyone can do that also.
thanks,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads