JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last year I saw a herters 401 power mag on here for sale. I had never heard of that revolver or cartridge. I did a bunch of reading and finally one came up for sale, its mine now and I would like to talk to other 401 owners for some tips or tricks so I can get out and shoot this thing. I know Im going to be making my own cartidges some say 30-30 some say 41 mag Im leaning toward 41 mag. Saw a post were they were forming with a 10mm die and then doing the rim? The RCBS forming set is for 30-30 and real exspensive. Shoot me a PM if you shoot the 410 power mag. and thanks in advance.

I was back doing some more browsing on the web today and ran across your post. I just picked up one at a local pawn shop. I had seen it sitting there for several months before I got it. I got it three days before I headed off to work for my 28 day hitch so I haven't got to play with it yet.

Before I left the house I got a couple of 30-30 hulls and couple of 41 magnum hulls to do some comparing with. By looking the 41 magnum case looks like the easier conversion. The rim fits in the grove fine. It looks like the hull will just have to be re-sized. On the 30-30 hull the rim will have to be cut down, the case cut down and then the case re-sized. I am also looking into a 3rd possible option. 10 mm Magnum. I got a few loaded 10 mm bullets to see how they would fit. Just a tad short. I am back looking up specs to see how much longer the 10 mm magnum hulls are to see if that could be used as a option in this gun. That is when I ran across your thread and signed up.

I have bought a 10 mm die set and play on doing more playing around with it when I get home in a just a little under two more weeks. I need to get more 41 magnum hulls but they have been hard to find lately along with anything else. 30-30 for me looks like it will be easier to find for now. Other re-loading supplies like lead have been hard to impossible to find right now. I may have to take the kinetic bullet puller to those 10 mm auto rounds just to get the lead to load a few round to see how it shoots. I hope the manufactures start to catch up soon on production. I have seen a few 40 caliber molds so I may order one of them before I get home. I have about 100 lbs of melted down wheel weights as of right now.

EDIT:

Still need to pull up and double check the case dimensions but this seems promising.

http://www.revolversupply.com/documents/moon_clips.html

<broken link removed>

They make moon clips for 40/10mm. You would have to pull the cyl to reload but at least it could be a option.

I finally got to shoot mine last time home. Starline finally had the 41 Magnum bass in stock. I bought a set of Lee 10 mm Dies to finish them up. Since this was new brass I ran them though a set of RCBS 41 magnum dies for the first round. Before I got the 10 MM dies I ran them though my RCBS 40 S&W dies. The RCBS dies won't go all the way to the bottom. Even if the shell is out of the shell holder. The Lee dies go all the way to the bottom. I had one pinch and ruin the case on one going from the 41 mag to the 10mm set. But using the 41,40,10mm sets in that order has worked with out problem. For lead I ordered 180 grain 40 caliber jacked bullets. I loaded them up mild for the first few shots(have to look in my book to see the exact powder and load I used). I do plan on stepping it up some later on.

I decided to trash the moon clip idea as I would have to have the cylinder cut to fit them.

I used this for the start of my reloading.

http://extranosalley.com/?p=4390

God Bless Leonard Herter. Everything he offered was " Model Perfect " if I remember his catalog terminology. I am off topic here but had to chime in as I own a lot of old Herter's stuff. Press, dies, components, U9 .270, etc. I still have enough .25 caliber bullets to arm a medium size third world country should they choose to adopt .257 Roberts as their battle rifle. When I was a kid those old catalogs were my bible.

I didn't realize there was anymore replies here. I need to check my setting, lol.

Just finished my hitch at work and will be flying home tomorrow. Been doing more research and think I will be doing more hulls for the 401 when I get home. Think I will be turning in a few more hotter. Got my eye on a 357 power mag if the man still has it. I also have a original 401 set of dies headed to the house to compare it to how I am doing it now.

Also when I got my powermag it was missing the part where it holds the pin in to keep the cyl into place. Numrich was sold out and couldn't find another one online. I went ahead and ordered a complete assembly from a Ruger blackhawk. It fit and works like a glove.

I am back on my 401 project and just got a chronograph. I will be posting soon some loads speed/info. All the other info I have found is with lead bullets. Mine are jacketed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top