JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got this link on an email from USCCA, I think this is a great sample of why we should have a round in the chamber.
No I'm not a member but get emails at least weekly from them. :)

<broken link removed>

Chambering a round usually requires both hands (unless you have an HK P7 or train racking the slide single-handedly). It's best to just have a secure holster (not a freekin Uncle Mike's sock) and prepare to shoot when you draw the thing...the last thing I'd be wanting to do is fighting with the gun out and be struggling to chamber a round...the real falacy from many people that refuse to carry in condition 1 is that they assume they will always have time and both hands to chamber a round.

its still good to train rack the slide single handed. Especially since you never know what might happen to your other hand and since the single handed techniques require putting the gun close to your body. (like catching the rear sight on your belt) Best be comfortable doing that rather than shoot yourself in the heat of the moment.

need a pistol with a protruding rear sight (so that it can catch) and a recoil spring that is not too heavy. Blade tech makes very sturdy belts that work fine for this purpose. The belt is very stiff and also serves to keep your pants in a "ready to jump in" condition at night - like a firefighter jumpsuit ;-)

Definitely have a round chambered. I do train on racking the slide one handed but only in case I'm forced to do a one handed reload. Something not only possible but likely if you've just gotten into a gun fight.
I don't understand people that don't carry condition one. They better hope that if the time comes they can do it flawlessly the first time. Those little maneuvers look cool but why take the risk? How likely is it they'll be standing up straight in a comfortable setting and not laying in the mud in the fetal position frantically trying to chamber a round using their belt?
It's just stupid.

I think unless you truly, and I mean truly practice COUNTLESS hours drawing and racking the slide in a variety of scenarios and body positions, you should have enough faith in your skills and abilities to maintain a round in the chamber.

Racking the slide after your draw, sure Plenty of guys have a few rounds down range in static positions, with their dominant hand & no worry or pressure of a true threat.. And they can maintain motor skills unimpeded by bystanders, body position etc..

IMO (and others) seconds matter. Id rather have a round in the chamber and have faith in my abilities and equipment than distrust both and assume I can rack a round in time and do lord knows what, given little time.

Last Edited:
If your down to one arm in a gun fight and your gun isn't working, Id run or switch to a knife.

And yea, if your uncomfortable carrying a loaded gun then you should become more familiar with thr mechanics and physics involved.

At the very least, you know you have one almost guaranteed shot If it is chambered.

no matter what gun or condition you choose to carry, adrenaline and stress will override your thought process, and you will fall back on what your training has been. Practice what YOU are comfortable with. Dont make it complicated , but do practice

If you don't trust your gun and/or your training enough to not carry with a round in the chamber then you need to sit down and reevaluate both.

As an aside, I always thought the EFA holsters for Makarovs were a neat idea but once again I believe that if you don't trust your equipment loaded then you need to be carrying something else, period.

the one thing i never see people practicing is shooting one-handed...and to take it further, non-dominant one-handed. i practice this each time i'm at the range.

generally i'll run through these drill when i'm shooting pistols:
-static standing shooting
-static kneeling shooting
-forward and back while shooting
-lateral movement while shooting
-one-handed (dominant and non-dominant)
-running to cover and shooting around/above
All of this is performed while drawing from a holster.
I'll sometimes run the same drills and perform reloads in the middle.
next time i'm planning on taking my video camera and snap caps with me. have a friend load your magazines and watch how you react to the *click* instead of the *bang*.

I encourage everyone, regardless of skill level to attend a handgun course. I've taken a few classes through Defensive Firearms Instruction. I've taken both handgun and carbine courses. Had tons of fun and learned a lot. instructors name is Donovan Beard.
http://defensivefirearmsinstruction.org/

the one thing i never see people practicing is shooting one-handed...and to take it further, non-dominant one-handed. i practice this each time i'm at the range.

next time i'm planning on taking my video camera and snap caps with me. have a friend load your magazines and watch how you react to the *click* instead of the *bang*.

I encourage everyone, regardless of skill level to attend a handgun course. I've taken a few classes through Defensive Firearms Instruction. I've taken both handgun and carbine courses. Had tons of fun and learned a lot. instructors name is Donovan Beard.
Hey now, thats my idea! ;)
Ive done it, its a GREAT training tool.

I am left handed but learned to shoot rifles as a boy, right handed. So now it is second nature and all my long guns have rt handed actions. The plus side to this is I am almost as accurate with a pistol righty as lefty and either hand feels pretty comfortable....I just need more practice with more ammo!

Brutus Out

Not that I'm awesome or anything (ok, I really am:p), but I take a lot of newer shooters out with me and have found that they can get a bit discouraged if I ring the gong every time and they miss a lot.

Gives me perfect opportunities to train one handed and with my less dominant (almost ambidextrous, Thanks Grandpa:D) hand.

Out of all of this time though, I've never tried akimbo weapons with multiple targets. Maybe ill entertain myself with that one the next trip out.

(I off hand when I bowl and a few other activities for the same reason, no one like to play with someone who wins all the time. Tiger Blood!!!!)

Not that I'm awesome or anything (ok, I really am:p), but I take a lot of newer shooters out with me and have found that they can get a bit discouraged if I ring the gong every time and they miss a lot.

Gives me perfect opportunities to train one handed and with my less dominant (almost ambidextrous, Thanks Grandpa:D) hand.

Out of all of this time though, I've never tried akimbo weapons with multiple targets. Maybe ill entertain myself with that one the next trip out.

(I off hand when I bowl and a few other activities for the same reason, no one like to play with someone who wins all the time. Tiger Blood!!!!)

Did somebody say AKIMBO....we'll do this Jerry Miculek style. :)

I've actually attempted this before with static targets and failed miserably. HAHAHA

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top