JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting response about CC/OC on a non-gun related forum where the issue came up:

I'll never understand why so many people feel the need to carry firearms in this country. Don't get me wrong, I understand the statistics, but the reality is that a situation where you would benefit from having a personal firearm is not likely to happen. By all means carry pepper spray or a taser, but having an absolutely lethal weapon in your pocket makes no sense and puts the public in general at risk.

I have family members that legally conceal and carry and I must admit hating going anywhere with them. They constantly think someone is out to get them and nightly dream (literally) of situation where they have to use their weapon. I think it is an activity that seems to breed fear and distrust. Maybe I'm naive, but there are enough problems in this world without having another nervous person out there with a weapon that could take the life of another (and likely not your intended target).

I'm not trying to trample the rights of others but appeal to the common sense of those who feel like they will be killed (someday) if they didn't carry. (after all, that's the only real reason to have a gun on your person, right?)

If I wanted to bring a taser against a bear, or drugged out face muncher just to make it interesting sure, and what are my odds against an armed assailant 7 yards away? How well will a taser work against 3 people armed with knives?

What if they lived with someone with a motorcycle and hated how naked and unsafe it made them feel. Should we outlaw motorcycles?

What if their brother was allergic to bees and got stung and died?

What if they died from eating a peanut?

What if they were in a plane crash?

How many things can we remove from this world before they feel safe?

Interesting response about CC/OC on a non-gun related forum where the issue came up: "I'll never understand why so many people feel the need to carry firearms in this country. "

So don't carry. Your life, your dime, your choice. But, personaly, it makes me feel safer when out and about. And, about your common sense, I agree, it is not likely it will be needed. If at is the case, then no harm no foul. You sound like people who legally carry are out looking for a chance to use the weapon.
IF it is needed, then it is there. It would be sad it you are harmed because you had no means to protect yourself; but, in my opinion, it would be much worse, if I were the one harmed by following your advice.
Again, you dime, your choice,
Ed

So don't carry. Your life, your dime, your choice. But, personaly, it makes me feel safer when out and about. And, about your common sense, I agree, it is not likely it will be needed. If at is the case, then no harm no foul. You sound like people who legally carry are out looking for a chance to use the weapon.
IF it is needed, then it is there. It would be sad it you are harmed because you had no means to protect yourself; but, in my opinion, it would be much worse, if I were the one harmed by following your advice.
Again, you dime, your choice,
Ed

Why are you pointing at the OP? OP never said that is how he felt, he is reporting a response from someone else.............

Why are you pointing at the OP? OP never said that is how he felt, he is reporting a response from someone else.............

Sounded to me like he was addressing the OP's quote, not the OP directly.

In order to keep it on topic, I agree with enjr4, if you don't want to carry, that is fine. It is when you don't want me to carry that it becomes a problem. ("You" in the sense of anyone else, not a specific person.) This is in the same way that if you want to be a certain religion, that is fine. But when you want me to convert to said religion, don't be mad if I tell you to go pound sand. Live and let live.

I have used a hand gun for a self defense situation. I hate the fact that it happened and I still have a PTSD problem that Im being treated for. I can say that 99% of people who carry a firearm have absolutely no desire to shoot some one. But if I was not armed I would have been killed.

I still carry a pistol and will for the rest of my life. Using a firearm will affect you for the rest of your days, but you will have those day if you survive.

I guess what Im trying to say is you need to be able to protect yourself and your family, and a taser or pepper spray is a joke.

Carry every day, everywhere you go and pray you will never have to use it.

Respectfully

Kevin

but having an absolutely lethal weapon in your pocket makes no sense and puts the public in general at risk.---- I have never understood this line. I have heard it over and over, but do not understand it. How is a lawful law abiding person become a risk and puts the general public at risk while carring a gun?

but having an absolutely lethal weapon in your pocket makes no sense and puts the public in general at risk.---- I have never understood this line. I have heard it over and over, but do not understand it. How is a lawful law abiding person become a risk and puts the general public at risk while carring a gun?

Because, as we all know, a gun can jump out of someone's pocket and fire at people all on its own. Or the "gun toting" citizen can lose their mind and run amok shooting people left and right.

<Sarcasm off>

I don't understand it either. I'm sure I was thoroughly investigated before being issued a license to carry concealed. If I was a risk to humanity, they probably would have found that out, either then, or by now.

The idea that choosing to carry a weapon makes you "nervous" or trigger happy is absurd. What makes me nervous is not feeling the pressure from my pistol on my hip. I feel naked without it anymore. Am I likely to need it for self defense? Probably not, but if you do and you don't have it-and you're lucky enough to survive, you'll certainly wish you had had it. I'd be willing to bet the potential woman you save from being raped and murdered in a dark alley will be damn thankful you have it too. The world is a dangerous and scary place sometimes and I just don't have any interest in being helpless when it comes to trying to prevent the loss of life of myself or others.

Y'know, any CCer can tell you that when you're carrying you're extra careful, extra polite, not given to road rage, always leave the middle finger at home, and are SOBER at all times. We CCers have far lower rates of all crimes than the gen-pop, except for domestic violence, where the rates are more comparable (but still lower).

As far as the author is concerned, he clearly needs an education about just how MANY criminal encounters are ended because a would-be victim is armed. The overwhelming majority end with NO SHOTS FIRED. It's essential that we get the message out there that the NCVS study is no good, the methodology was flawed, and it was a politically motivated hack job from the get-go. Self defense with a CC weapon is a lot less rare than you'd think by that one old, skewed study.

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense?

Gun Self Defense Counter Web Widget

I'll never understand why so many people feel the need to carry firearms in this country. Don't get me wrong, I understand the statistics, but the reality is that a situation where you would benefit from having a personal firearm is not likely to happen. By all means carry pepper spray or a taser, but having an absolutely lethal weapon in your pocket makes no sense and puts the public in general at risk.

I have family members that legally conceal and carry and I must admit hating going anywhere with them. They constantly think someone is out to get them and nightly dream (literally) of situation where they have to use their weapon. I think it is an activity that seems to breed fear and distrust. Maybe I'm naive, but there are enough problems in this world without having another nervous person out there with a weapon that could take the life of another (and likely not your intended target).

I'm not trying to trample the rights of others but appeal to the common sense of those who feel like they will be killed (someday) if they didn't carry. (after all, that's the only real reason to have a gun on your person, right?)

Translation: "Guns are icky and scary and they go on shooty killing sprees all by themselves when carried in public."

There is no rational response to such statements that will change this idiot's mind except to point out that if you need a taser (illegal in MANY states) you will be much safer with a gun in your hand instead. He's not even arguing that you are so unlikely to need a gun that it's better to be unarmed, which is a lot more supportable (if still incorrect) claim. He's arguing that guns are icky and scary.

Revoke his man-card and move on to a better class of people.

Simply say, "Because we can. I exercise my right to keep and bear arms, just like you exercise your right to free speech."

Should certain individuals not be allowed to talk simply because others don't care to hear what they have to say? The reasons for carrying are important enough to our country as a whole to have ratified them into the Bill of Rights along with other rights such as freedom of religion, protection from eminent domain and the right to civil trial by jury; all rights which I'm sure the person likely believes firmly in. Perhaps that person should look into a handgun safety course so they better understand the responsibilities of someone legally carrying.

Simply say, "Because we can. I exercise my right to keep and bear arms, just like you exercise your right to free speech."

Should certain individuals not be allowed to talk simply because others don't care to hear what they have to say? The reasons for carrying are important enough to our country as a whole to have ratified them into the Bill of Rights along with other rights such as freedom of religion, protection from eminent domain and the right to civil trial by jury; all rights which I'm sure the person likely believes firmly in. Perhaps that person should look into a handgun safety course so they better understand the responsibilities of someone legally carrying.

And remember that the First Amendment was almost legislated out of existance by the gov't and not allowing PAC's to contact the people near an election. That's all it would take to erase the Second!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top