JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a dream of mine

Keep trying, it only took me 40 years to get here and I still pay for it; a one hour commute each way 5 days a week. It isn't optimum; the land isn't very farmable at all, but it is better than living in the city. When I retire I plan to move further out and have a better place that has a southern exposure, and a residence that can be off-grid in a pinch.

This is a dream of mine

Was our dream too; had to wait....

Now have a modest home on 12 forested acres in the coast range; up stream and up wind of PDX and the I-5 corridoristan. 3,500 fir trees coming up and enough maple trees to provide a lifetime of firewood.... and our own cemetery. Eats up all of my retirement.
Would only evac if a major firestorm forces us out.

Other than that...

Was our dream too; had to wait....

Now have a modest home on 12 forested acres in the coast range; up stream and up wind of PDX and the I-5 corridoristan. 3,500 fir trees coming up and enough maple trees to provide a lifetime of firewood.... and our own cemetery.

There you go. :s0152:

I have 20 acres on my plot, 3+ that are in an easement owned by neighbor, with a gully running down through the middle of it lengthwise (about 1000' by 400' in an odd shape), mostly 60 year old conifers (mostly fir of some sort, some cedar, etc.), and some hardwood both old and young, but thinned. Enough hardwood for firewood to last the rest of my life. As long as I am here I will keep the older conifers as I like them a lot.

Just close enough to PDX to make the commute tolerable, far enough out that if PDX goes to hell and people have to walk here they may not make it - a good ten miles from the growth boundary and not a lot of reason for someone to walk over the mountain, but still something of a threat.

Property has appreciated ~10% per year - bought for about $13K per acre - now everything around us, clear out to Willamina is selling for at least $30K per acre for land with no well, no septic and no power - some they are asking $60K and up and sometimes getting it? :eek:

So I am hoping someone will give me a pretty penny for this, I will go out far enough into the coastal range to get some foothill land that is arable with a southern exposure for under $20K per acre and have no mortgage to pay on it with my equity - then I will build a small shop with small living quarters on it. I may have to go further south to do that - maybe down by Kings Valley?

I just hope that the market/economy doesn't crash before I retire (I moved 80% of my retirement funds into bonds about a year ago, but I should have kept them in stocks as the market has done real well since then).

Funny that you bring all this up. I was talking to my wife just this morning how we need to up our efforts on our preps. I know that I am in much better shape than most and could survive but I feel there needs to be more. Her comment to me was so make it happen. I really hope she knows what she is in for.

I am really thinking she needs a AR pistol truck gun. :rolleyes:

If it becomes a "what the hell did you buy now" you can say "well you said to make it happen". :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews