JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was a comment the Mrs (@TeacherSmurf) made the other day. Let's see ....

• Wildfires are raging all over our region, including one I can, quite literally, watch from the southwestern end of my property. The smoke was so bad up until recently that it was difficult being outdoors any length of time and the wee-ones were kept in at all times.
  • Hurricane Irma just pounded Puerto Rico. A field tech with the company I am with, who reports to me, and who has become a friend over the years, is in San Juan. I've been exchanging messages with him. They were spared a direct hit, but the island is a mess and power outages are widespread. He said he and his wife got supplies into a solid shelter ahead of time, and are doing fine.
  • Irma is about to drill Florida. A supervisor type with the same company, and the closest thing to a mentor I ever had, now lives in said state. I talked to him a moment ago and he said they just got a mandatory evacuation notice and he and his wife are headed out. They are older folks, so I hope they are able to get to a shelter fine.
  • Mexico was just hit by a 8.1 magnitude earthquake, the strongest in a century.
  • I saw on the news that a city in Texas, I believe Beaumont, is without water and the city official they interviewed said they'd have it restored, quote, "within a week or two."
  • The nutty butterball in North Korea now has the H-Bomb and at least some functional delivery vehicles.
Yep ... it us types that prepare for disasters that are the silly ones. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
9739B829-861D-4C2E-9A6B-825060E9705F.jpeg

Yep, life is going to get a whole lot harder before it gets better.

Can't say I'll ever understand why some folks refuse to accept the truth

We've got a long way to go in our preps - that said, we're far better prepared than your average idiot.

A co-worker who lives in the Gorge had to evacuate earlier this week - they have a travel trailer and are pretty well equipped in terms of the things they need. Biggest problem for him is security for his home - apparently there has been an issue of lowlifes breaking into homes where folks have evacuated.

We've got a long way to go in our preps - that said, we're far better prepared than your average idiot.

A co-worker who lives in the Gorge had to evacuate earlier this week - they have a travel trailer and are pretty well equipped in terms of the things they need. Biggest problem for him is security for his home - apparently there has been an issue of lowlifes breaking into homes where folks have evacuated.

Too bad your liable for deadly traps on your property:(.

F'n looter scumbags.:mad:

The sit in Florida is a ticking time bomb; not enough space, time, and resources to get that many people from extreme South to extreme North.

W. Oregon is similarly locked-in between the ocean and the cascades; where would people flee to if a major quake occurred?

It would require air lifts.

Not understanding the risks associated with geography is nothing less than acute cognitive dissonance.

Addendum: a prominent ex navy seal known in prepper circles makes a habit of offering a sail-boat as the best survival vehicle; I wonder if that includes hurricanes...

The sit in Florida is a ticking time bomb; not enough space, time, and resources to get that many people from extreme South to extreme North.

W. Oregon is similarly locked-in between the ocean and the cascades; where would people flee to if a major quake occurred?

Not understanding the risks associated with geography is nothing less than acite cognitive dissonance.
Ugh!
Don't even want to think of all the immigrants from neighboring states and beyond this will cause in my dear home.

Not understanding the risks associated with geography is nothing less than acute cognitive dissonance.

Addendum: a prominent ex navy seal known in prepper circles makes a habit of offering a sail-boat as the best survival vehicle; I wonder if that includes hurricanes...

That's something I think about when we head to the coast. First of all, we only stay in places that are outside of the tsunami zone as shown on the tsunami inundation maps. We decided to no longer stay in places like Rockaway where we've stayed for years. Instead, we head more to places like Lincoln City and Newport, where you can stay up on the cliffs, well out of tsunami danger. Plus, those bigger cities would have at least a few more resources available. But I'm aware, getting back to the east side of the Cascades could take weeks or longer. So I am sure to travel with extra preps, including extra meds (I'm a type 1 diabetic and need insulin), assuming it won't be available quickly under such circumstances. We love the coast, but honestly wonder how much longer we'll be able to enjoy it knowing what will eventually be coming. It's not if, but when, that massive Cascadia subduction zone lets loose - and I'm really hoping we won't be on the coast when it happens.

IF one is near to a disaster, natural or not, you may either be a refugee or you will have to deal with them. Multitude of scenarios will dictate tactics and mindset.
For those that believe being on the Oregon Coast during Cascadia Event is just a matter of staying out of the tsunami zone... think again. The earthquake may post haste flatten the structure you are sleeping in, take out the bridge you are driving on, topple a power pole and wires on yer noggin. I assure you, if you are here on the Oregon Coast during this event, you will be here awhile, unless you hike out. Bring a toothbrush.
Cascadia Event may possibly be a major, crippling disaster. Millions of people in the PNW will be drastically affected, similarly to those in the south at this time. Except, I believe infrastructure here will be affected much much more. I also doubt very much that the 38,000 residents of Clastop County (where I reside) will be high priority to the authorities while millions more in major population areas are affected. We will be on our own, caring for the mulitides of now displaced tourists that had been visiting our little slice of heaven.

That was a comment the Mrs (@TeacherSmurf) made the other day. Let's see ....

• Wildfires are raging all over our region, including one I can, quite literally, watch from the southwestern end of my property. The smoke was so bad up until recently that it was difficult being outdoors any length of time and the wee-ones were kept in at all times.
  • Hurricane Irma just pounded Puerto Rico. A field tech with the company I am with, who reports to me, and who has become a friend over the years, is in San Juan. I've been exchanging messages with him. They were spared a direct hit, but the island is a mess and power outages are widespread. He said he and his wife got supplies into a solid shelter ahead of time, and are doing fine.
  • Irma is about to drill Florida. A supervisor type with the same company, and the closest thing to a mentor I ever had, now lives in said state. I talked to him a moment ago and he said they just got a mandatory evacuation notice and he and his wife are headed out. They are older folks, so I hope they are able to get to a shelter fine.
  • Mexico was just hit by a 8.1 magnitude earthquake, the strongest in a century.
  • I saw on the news that a city in Texas, I believe Beaumont, is without water and the city official they interviewed said they'd have it restored, quote, "within a week or two."
  • The nutty butterball in North Korea now has the H-Bomb and at least some functional delivery vehicles.
Yep ... it us types that prepare for disasters that are the silly ones. :rolleyes:

Funny that you bring all this up. I was talking to my wife just this morning how we need to up our efforts on our preps. I know that I am in much better shape than most and could survive but I feel there needs to be more. Her comment to me was so make it happen. I really hope she knows what she is in for.

I am really thinking she needs a AR pistol truck gun. :rolleyes:

Because they think like thisView attachment 389910and some of us think like thisView attachment 389911
Darn right!
IF one is near to a disaster, natural or not, you may either be a refugee or you will have to deal with them. Multitude of scenarios will dictate tactics and mindset.
For those that believe being on the Oregon Coast during Cascadia Event is just a matter of staying out of the tsunami zone... think again. The earthquake may post haste flatten the structure you are sleeping in, take out the bridge you are driving on, topple a power pole and wires on yer noggin. I assure you, if you are here on the Oregon Coast during this event, you will be here awhile, unless you hike out. Bring a toothbrush.
Cascadia Event may possibly be a major, crippling disaster. Millions of people in the PNW will be drastically affected, similarly to those in the south at this time. Except, I believe infrastructure here will be affected much much more. I also doubt very much that the 38,000 residents of Clastop County (where I reside) will be high priority to the authorities while millions more in major population areas are affected. We will be on our own, caring for the mulitides of now displaced tourists that had been visiting our little slice of heaven.
I'd say the natural part of the equation is trumped by that of the human part.
For me, at least.
Maybe cuz I don't live In a place that is prone to natural disasters but live next door to two areas of some concern: cascade subdusubduction zone and Yellowstone (relatively stable for now).
Couple fault lines that never get used but again low population helps.

I know that I am in much better shape than most and could survive but I feel there needs to be more. Her comment to me was so make it happen.

I will say this, and I mean this seriously and not in any wacky sense: the absolute best thing I've had going for our preps is the fact my wife is totally on board. With our prep plans, we've agreed like 99% of the time. And that one percent was details and prioritization. So, 'gratz, your life partner is with you on this one. :)

I am really thinking she needs a AR pistol truck gun. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, she does. OK, that was less serious and more my wackiness, but, still, AR pistol ... come on. Who couldn't dig that? :D

I am well aware of the other issues you listed. I specifically listed the tsunami threat because it is really unique to the coast. Chances are the other issues you listed are also likely inland as well - bridges out, critical infrastructure gone, building collapse - there are plenty of things to be concerned about. But where I live normally, a tsunami is a non-issue, which is why I give it more credence on top of the other issues, when on the coast.

Updating our "<30 minute notice" bug out list for fire season was a sordid experience....

Married to the same gal for 35 years and our priorities (and where we would go) are still somewhat different.

Refugee camps are out! Lodging would be expensive, no room at nearby family's homes...

The durable camper-trailer (toy hauler...:D) option raises to the top of the wish list.

All in all; a good exercise.

I spent a lot of time on this (on the 52312 actually):

cg_mlb52.jpg

and this:

uscg-44356-4.jpg

And I can say from experience I would not want to be out on the sea - it would be a lot of work just staying afloat and it is not for those of us who can't do it anymore due to health/age. A sailboat would be even harder.

Also, you can't really hide on the open ocean, so if someone sees you and they can overtake you, you are very vulnerable. At some point in time you have to come back in to port and then you are really vulnerable. If someone gets hurt, then there are real problems getting help. If the boat is disabled, you are pretty much toast.

At least on land, if you are hurt or sick, you can hunker down somewhere.

Where would I go if there was an earthquake?

Nowhere. I would stay right where I am at on my mountain - once I got my kids up here. I have no need to evacuate.

When I retire, I will move further out into the foothills of the coastal range. I am not particularly "locked in" - there is a lot of forest in both the Cascades and the coastal range and 300 miles up and down the state. I've hunted from Eugene up to almost PDX in both mountain ranges, and there is plenty of hills and mountains south of Eugene.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top