JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Left Seattle at 2:15 yesterday afternoon and got home south of Forest Grove at 8:15 with one quick meal stop and a potty break. The traffic was unbelievable, and when it did open up all the aggressive drivers were all jacked up with road rage and running 85 plus.

We were up until 2:30 am after riding the Sounder to the end stop. Got into a conversation with a guy who worked security, asked him if it was safe to walk the 4 blocks to the hotel as I was not carrying as normal. He said well I have a Glock 45 on me and will give you a ride, pretty nice of him.

Left Seattle at 2:15 yesterday afternoon and got home south of Forest Grove at 8:15 with one quick meal stop and a potty break. The traffic was unbelievable, and when it did open up all the aggressive drivers were all jacked up with road rage and running 85 plus.

We were up until 2:30 am after riding the Sounder to the end stop. Got into a conversation with a guy who worked security, asked him if it was safe to walk the 4 blocks to the hotel as I was not carrying as normal. He said well I have a Glock 45 on me and will give you a ride, pretty nice of him.

That is about the only drawback (besides the traffic) to attending big stadium concerts, disarming.
We were stuck in a $35 parking garage a few blocks away from the event for 45 minutes to an hour then it was smooth sailing. One of the people went down to the street & stopped traffic so we could get out!!! What good people will do for others at a time of gridlock.;)

Last Edited:
This was i5 Northbound today in Keizer around 20 minutes after the Eclipse. Southbound was clear.

The Keizer Staition was completely gridlocked.

View attachment 385617 View attachment 385618 View attachment 385619
I came back from Crescent city this morning, came through Albany and Salem, got off at woodburn.... There was NOBODY on the road, closest car was a mile ahead and a mile behind, was cruising along at 71, OSP comes running by at 80, no cares in the world. Rest areas packed, all side roads and exits had folks off road for a looksee. Compared to your pics,my drive home was dead. And to think, I used to live in Madras!

image.jpeg image.jpeg The wife, youngest and myself hit the city park just down the street from the house, the wife wanted to go somewhere, anywhere to witness her very first eclipse. Even though it was only 99.37%, we did experience a darkening, and light shimmer across the ground... As well as a chill as it darkened... Our puppy was very vocal during the climax of the eclipse...

Wish I had a better camera than the iPhone... We did give a couple of pair of eclipse glasses to others who were without, everyone should get to see it as it happens...

View attachment 385652 View attachment 385653The wife, youngest and myself hit the city park just down the street from the house, the wife wanted to go somewhere, anywhere to witness her very first eclipse. Even though it was only 99.37%, we did experience a darkening, and light shimmer across the ground... As well as a chill as it darkened... Our puppy was very vocal during the climax of the eclipse...

Wish I had a better camera than the iPhone... We did give a couple of pair of eclipse glasses to others who were without, everyone should get to see it as it happens...

SAME! Gave away a pair to a guy at the local Plaid Pantry that had to work and had no glasses. Another two to a mom and her daughter walking in my neighborhood who said they couldn't find any. Made me smile when they both giggled and laughed at what they saw.

I feel really lucky and REALLY small to have had the chance to see this, for the second time in my life. I find it crazy how many people I know that said they could care less about it and had no plans to even try and catch a glimpse.

Now that I have been through another eclipse in my life(66 years)and to me much of a non evvent. I have to say the 1980 Mt. St.Helen's eruption and resulting ash plume was much more spectacular in my mind. Also a lot more eerie in my opinion. Eclipses have a certain set of finites as to when and where it will occur, start and end, where the Mt. St.Helen's eruption and resulting ash plume was a bunch of unknowns. It was a lot darker than the eclipse and muffled all sound, so much as to be spooky and sinister in a way. Just my opinion though.
I was only 2 when St. helens popped, and
i still remember the day... taking cover under our pool table, then going outside and filling empty vitamin bottles with ash.

More recently the Trojan cooling tower implosion was pretty spectacular.. My kids were still tots at that time. Last minute I decided to throw them in the truck.. still half asleep and in thier jammies..drove the 5 miles to Kalama and watched it from a hillside across the river. No traffic, no safety glasses, but much more memorable for all of us.

I'm sure those that witnessed totality had a different experience, but from here, there was a noticeable temp drop. and it got a little darker, and that's it. Still pretty memorable, and a little eerie
...but not equal to the hype.
That said we are making plans to go to illinois for the 2024 eclipse...

Last Edited:
I was 5 when St. Helens let go. Remember it like it was yesterday. Funny how I ran into an old HS alum today and couldn't remember him at all, but I sure remember my first eclipse, St. Helens and my last X-Mas with Granddad when I was 8.

I feel really lucky and REALLY small to have had the chance to see this, for the second time in my life. I find it crazy how many people I know that said they could care less about it and had no plans to even try and catch a glimpse.

Same here. It was a fascinating experience. We did what we could to make it special for our daughter. And while I was taking some photos, I spent plenty of time looking around, taking everything in. I'm glad we got a chance to experience it. Only thing better would have been in the path of totality.

I remember back to pre-K spending time at the beach in the grandparent's old motorhome, can still hear the ocean and taste the burgers and s'mores right from the fire pit we dug. Before my grandma passed we chatted about this and she chuckled and told me she barely remembered it until I said something. But agreed I was darned accurate.

Good times, not to be forgotten. Probably the best times of my life. I miss them both terribly.

Seeing the eclipse today made me reflect on how miniscule we are.

I was about ten miles out to see when it went. I remember because the station called us to let us know just in case. We got just a light dusting in Newport.

I've been in earthquakes more memorable than eclipses - not even sure where I was during the 1979 eclipse, probably at Newport.

SAME! Gave away a pair to a guy at the local Plaid Pantry that had to work and had no glasses. Another two to a mom and her daughter walking in my neighborhood who said they couldn't find any. Made me smile when they both giggled and laughed at what they saw.
We got back home in time for me to take a pair over to my neighbor lady that's ill, and mostly confined to her home.. it was at about 50% and on its way out, but the sun had just risen over the trees to where she could see it from her doorway.(we live on a steep western facing hillside) I got a smile and a chuckle from her.

Wasn't bad at all...until Albany to Eugene took a dump. 99east to Coburg was my only option to finish work somewhat on time.

Hope everyone else stayed safe. Hope tomorrow will be more normal.

I've experienced earthquakes, tornadoes, baseball-sized hail and 5+ feet of snow. Those things all cause chaos and wreak havoc on day-to-day living. The eclipse today was none of those things and I enjoyed viewing it with my neighborhood and my wife.

Wow, I almost didn't go out in the street to see it, but the better half coaxed me out! I did enjoy things like the strong temperature drop and the cessation of bird song! Yacking with my neighbors was nice too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top