JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
for me it's floods and landslides... one landslide took out an entire neighborhood just on the otherside of the hill from ours, and one fell on top of my truck, and almost put me in the columbia river.. But the flood of 96, and the events surrounding it, was one of the most memorable events of my life.

I was only 2 when St. helens popped, and
i still remember the day... taking cover under our pool table, then going outside and filling empty vitamin bottles with ash.

I still have vials of that ash around. Coming by that huge pile of it by the Toutle River yesterday I saw a wheel loader sitting there and it looked like they were using it for something. Pretty fine gradient, don;t know what it could be, but got a pretty good pile to work with.

I still have vials of that ash around. Coming by that huge pile of it by the Toutle River yesterday I saw a wheel loader sitting there and it looked like they were using it for something. Pretty fine gradient, don;t know what it could be, but got a pretty good pile to work with.
I think it's just to load trucks with sand for construction jobs etc.... the pile by the i5 toutle bridge right?

I came back from Crescent city this morning,

Anything good happening in Crescent City these days ?? Wife went to high school there and we have not been back in about 3 years and it looked like it had slid downhill even more. But that is what happens in Northern California unless you work for the prison system.

I think it's just to load trucks with sand for construction jobs etc.... the pile by the i5 toutle bridge right?

Yeah, that is the pile.Been there since they dredged it out. I was thinking of the airborne ash that had a real fine gradient, I would imagine that heavier stuff is a better gradient. I used thousands of yards of sand over the years mined out of the Columbia in Vancouver in building and maintaining sports fields and it is great stuff.

Anything good happening in Crescent City these days ?? Wife went to high school there and we have not been back in about 3 years and it looked like it had slid downhill even more. But that is what happens in Northern California unless you work for the prison system.

I helped install the cables & splice in the telephone system at Pelican Bay.... ;)

My wife who is normally very calm and doesn't normally use profanity was pissed off at the amount of traffic she encountered. I should have used it as an object lesson as to why we need to move some place remote.
It was a good test of trying get around via back roads that the clueless lemmings didn't know about.
Encountered one idiot towing a small travel trailer on New Era road in Oregon City with Colorado plates on it and finally passed him in a no passing lane as he had no clue as to where he was going.

Volcanic ash makes very strong and long lasting concrete - if they were using it for that. There are still Roman docks existing that were made with volcanic ash and resist seawater.

Volcanic ash makes very strong and long lasting concrete - if they were using it for that. There are still Roman docks existing that were made with volcanic ash and resist seawater.

Yeah, I just watched a documentary (not too long ago) about that Roman concrete, and "them" trying to reverse engineer the chemistry on the recipe for it.

Last Edited:
So it appears the official (so far) estimate of people traveling into Oregon was about 250K? About a quarter of what they estimated would come. That plus the fact that a LOT of Orygunians just stayed home whether they watched the eclipse or not, made the eclipse-apocalypse a non-event it seems. Could have been a lot worse.

It was interesting to observe what roads got used per the traffic map. I expected a lot more traffic coming and going to/from the coast. Mac, Dundee, Newberg/et al got a lot of traffic, so that was probably from the coast, but it only seemed to happen at the choke points or if there was an accident.

Yeah, I just watched a documentary (not too long) ago about that Roman concrete, and "them" trying to reverse engineer the chemistry on the recipe for it.

I would like to build my next house with it, but they have not figured it out yet from what I have read and they would need much more ash for all the construction that goes on. It would be pretty expensive to ship it down here to use it.

I would like to build my next house with it, but they have not figured it out yet from what I have read and they would need much more ash for all the construction that goes on. It would be pretty expensive to ship it down here to use it.

If I'm not mistaken, modern concrete continues to harden for about 100yrs, maxes out, then starts to decay and weaken after that....

If I'm not mistaken, modern concrete continues to harden for about 100yrs, maxes out, then starts to decay and weaken after that....

I could be mistaken, but after reading the articles on the Roman concrete, modern concrete can begin to degrade in strength after 40 to 50 years - especially if exposed to weather, most especially if exposed to seawater. Of course, neither I nor my kids will be around in 50 years so I guess it doesn't matter. I am more concerned about having my next residence - probably earth bermed - be earthquake resistant than last 50+ years, but still, it would be nice.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top