Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

California - PG&E begins to cut power for up to 800,000 Customers

gmerkt

Reactions
A generator is a sign of privileged.
Glad you didn't say "white" privilege because my generator is red.

Seriously, I don't know that owning a generator is all that privileged or even exclusive. Lots of the vagrants who live in ratty motor homes and trailers down in the SODO district have them. They ain't got a legal place to park their "home" but they got a generator.

I'd like to have mine wired into my home but I'm not an electrician and to hire it done is expensive in materials and labor. Not justified (at this time) for the infrequent use that it's put to. And I'd have to build a little structure for it next to the house. As I understand it, they automatically disconnect your main breaker source so as not to feed current back up the line. But how about all the stuff on your panel that the generator wouldn't support? You'd have to make sure all that heavy drawers of current were shut down too.

RicInOR

Reactions
And, just because they can, in CA if you have solar panels and are on the grid, (to sell un used power, of course) PGE will turn them off.

More than 868,000 California homes have solar panels that are interconnected to the state’s power grid, with a total generating capacity of almost 4.8 million kilowatts. Those solar panels connected to the grid will also be shut off if they are in areas where PG&E is cutting off power. Those homes will only have power if they have battery backup like the Tesla Powerwall or a gas generator.

You'll only have your own battery backup.

I am gobsmacked by how stupid that sounds. Perhaps the article is wrong.
But having those panels is a privilege, and if everyone can't share, neither can you.

update
During a power outage, the power utility sends out repair crews to find and fix the points of failure. Linemen and women will be jeopardized if there is a local power generator (like a solar array) leaking power onto the grid lines. Solar arrays must automatically shut down per utility regulations.
Why not a disconnect to prevent power from leaving your panel and going to the grid? That way your freezer won't thaw and you won't die cause your CPAP can't be used.

robertvarner

Reactions
In planning for my generator and transfer switch install, I built a spreadsheet with each appliance and the expected peak and normal load. I can flag the breakers I HAVE to keep on (well pump, fridge, freezer, and minimum lighting) then I can flag those that can be used sparingly like washer, dryer, dishwasher. I can track which if those I use sparingly on a case by case basis.

There is a $300 tool that you can install on your breakers to monitor the actual accumulated load, but for now what I am planning will do.

I'll purchase the generator first so when the meter is pulled I can keep the fridge/freezer running while the wiring is rerouted from the meter through the transfer switch, then on to the breaker box.

My brother-in-laws experience from the PGE shutdown is the basis of this process. He planned well.

3MTA3

Reactions
I think California is intentionally placing PG&E in an untenable position:
  • They won't allow PG&E to clear vegetation and brush from the transmission line right of ways which is what caused the previos fires
  • PG&E was then held responsible for the fires created by government policy
  • When PG&E were then forced to cut power they were naturally ostracized by the same politicians whose policies caused the problem
IMO California has set PG&E up so they can justify "nationalizing" PG&E like Hugo Chavez did to the oil industry in Venezuela.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why California is forcing the removal of HAM repeaters and moving all emergency communications to an encrypted state managed system - keep the citizens in the dark while preventing them from communicating with each other.

Reactions
I think California is intentionally placing PG&E in an untenable position:
  • They won't allow PG&E to clear vegetation and brush from the transmission line right of ways which is what caused the previos fires
  • PG&E was then held responsible for the fires created by government policy
  • When PG&E were then forced to cut power they were naturally ostracized by the same politicians whose policies caused the problem
IMO California has set PG&E up so they can justify "nationalizing" PG&E like Hugo Chavez did to the oil industry
PG&E lets the system rot in place so when a HUGE event like a fire or earthquake happens they can ask for money from the government to fix it. Profit is the only driver for PG&E. While California is to blame for a lot of crappy policy that makes power and building new power infrastructure expensive PG&E is to blame for the crappy condition of the lines/systems they fail to maintain.

OP
ATCclears

ATCclears

Reactions
PG&E Corp. ’s chief executive said Friday that it could take as long as 10 years for the company to improve its electric system enough to significantly diminish the need to pull the plug on customers to reduce the risk of sparking fires.

OP
ATCclears

ATCclears

Reactions
WSJ alert:

PG&E Warns of Potential Second Planned California Blackout
Californians are facing a potential second round of pre-emptive power outages, with the state’s largest utility working to prevent its equipment from sparking wildfires as hot, gusty winds are forecast later this week.
PG&E said it might cut electricity to parts of 16 counties in the Sierra Foothills and north of San Francisco. About 200,000 households and businesses were notified that they might lose power starting late Wednesday, the bankrupt utility said.

Reactions
I don’t know any medically trained professional that will tell you to apply a tourniquet to a limb just in case you get shot.

The money the utility companies are fined should go towards correcting the safety concerns, clearing potential fuel sources and ignition points.

If these utility companies have to turn off their normal conduits of service they should be obligated to contract portable services to insure service or be fined a per-diem rate until they comply. All contracts with these utility companies should be revoked and re negotiated.

The public deserves this, the economic health of the state is connected to our own country’s national economy deserves this !! we should demand this!!!

An electric company can only control your meter if you have solar photovoltaic panels you have the option to back feed into the utility’s system thereby having your electric meter run reverse but if the utility company turns off your meter you still are able to feed your own system through your inverter.

Catherine1

Reactions
PG&E Corp. ’s chief executive said Friday that it could take as long as 10 years for the company to improve its electric system enough to significantly diminish the need to pull the plug on customers to reduce the risk of sparking fires.

I am reading this all over the WWWeb too.

Ten years! Maybe more?!

Cate

Flymph

Reactions
And, just because they can, in CA if you have solar panels and are on the grid, (to sell un used power, of course) PGE will turn them off.

You'll only have your own battery backup.

I am gobsmacked by how stupid that sounds. Perhaps the article is wrong.
But having those panels is a privilege, and if everyone can't share, neither can you.

update

Why not a disconnect to prevent power from leaving your panel and going to the grid? That way your freezer won't thaw and you won't die cause your CPAP can't be used.
I'm just going to guess that the reason is that the system is hard wired into the grid. That way there is less power decay from panel to grid with reduced risk of surge to your battery and home. I also know that constant input reduces battery life.
IDK I'm not an electrician, I just try to make sense of nonsense situations.

Maybe one day Californian's will realize the disaster of a state they have always been.

Reactions
The problem with California solar is the electric companies saw the real possibility of the deregulation and compitition coming and sent mailers to and paid for television ads aimed to warn customers of with a disinformation campaign back in the late 80’s they also knew to position biased elected officials and retired employees into the solar regulatory commissions because the money that was offered in the beginning by the state to offset the cost of installation and ownership was 3/4 in the form of a rebate from the state.

Corporations and institutions were given this opportunity over private citizens because the availability of trained and approved photovoltaic engineers were mostly drawn from current and or former electric company employees and private electrical contractors that only needed a supplemental license that was offers by pop up course educators at colleges or online that at that point was making anyone with this backing eligible to promote themselves as photovoltaic experts.

The whole construction industry in California was at certain points given free reign because the regulatory and safety commissions were handicapped by their workloads with lack of political and legal backing even the BBB structure was found to be corrupt and had to be restructured.

City governments were encouraged to oblige private citizens with reduced permits but even some city’s didn’t have properly written guidelines for systems due to the lack of publication of the subject by the coding regulators.. most of the guidelines eventually were given by the local fire marshals or city fire officials as inspections and though what their interpretation in conjunction to current building and electrical codes.

Transfer switches (and depending on who you talk to) can be installed before the
array or after (including the inverter)
It is common practice for, ( if ) emergency responders encounter a problem they want to be able to deactivate the system just as if there only recourse in a non photovoltaic home is to disconnect the residence at the meter.

I don’t even want to go into the photovoltaic equipment and the monopolies created by corporations to control the use by and sales to.

Reactions
It comes down to saftey if I had to guess. The reason for turning off the solar source is to keep the backfeed out of the system. Total isolation of the backfeed to the system is really the only way to keep lineman out of harms way. You cant give a homeowner the ability to turn it on at the their leisure. Backfeed to a transformer creates full voltage on the line so any ability for the homeowner to possibly energize the line could really put the lineman in a deadly position.

Reactions
Right back feed, but not source. The homeowner owns the source. Panel arrays when wired correctly are wired into the homes electrical panel through the inverter(s) and back-feed into the grid, a smart meter that is controlled remotely by the utility company is switched off to prevent back feed through the the main panel not the house panel.
The utility companies should of woulda coulda bought rented assembled portable generators to provide power to these business and families.
Generators can run on batteries, png, diesel, gas.. what ever. but it seems Pelosi, Newsom ,Schiff and their families are immune.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS
  • Supporting Vendor J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I'll put in a good word for J&B Firearms Sales in Beaverton, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (across the street from KFC and BiMart). I've always had...
    • RVNvet
  • Seattle Rifle & Pistol Association
    5.00 star(s)
    This is a members only club. They have had and have some issues that cause membership to fluctuate a bit. There are more rules than shooting in...
    • coltemp