JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Caught my attention today going home from work early.

I am sitting there and thinking, oh great, were gonna get nuked and I am sitting here stuck in traffic!:eek:

It was a weather alert for the thunderstorms in the Cascades, but it sure got my attention, because until they get into what it is about, it could be anything.

This was the first time I had heard it where it wasn't a test (which do not seem to happen very often anymore).

Which gets me to thinking, maybe I should leave the radio on more often? I know there are alerts for cell phones, but I don't see how to enable them on my phone.

I don't listen to the radio or music anywhere near as much as other people, I have it turned off more often than turned on - I just don't need the noise.

I am sitting there and thinking, oh great, were gonna get nuked and I am sitting here stuck in traffic!:eek:
Immediately after your posts, I started going over my inventories and checklists and found some of my emergency supplies had been gotten into by pests. This has definitely woke me up about the need to maintain my kit.

Thanks!.

We used to get all the alerts acrossed our cell phone, but turned them off due to 90+% of them being more from exceedingly poor life choices...The amber alerts in particular.

Don't recall how to turn them back on, and given the nature of them, really don't see them as being helpful.

We're thinking on seeing how we can join the county "flash alert" type messaging system.

A coworkers husband has it (former first responder), and will on occasion give her a heads up on in incoming trauma(s) before we are notified via radio. Ie extended vehicle extrication, life flite en route/landing zone being cleared. etc.

The CB in my truck (Dad's truck) started sqwaking and really caught my attention, especially because it wasn't turned on!

Same report. Quarter sized hail and "deadly cloud to ground lightning" was predicted. Sure would have liked to been near that, with good cover, and just watch.

Funny how something so normal will get you thinking about the worst possible thing and if your ready for it. Never thought about the radio for information. Guess I'm listening to the radio more often.

HERETIC: Thank you. Wake up call here also. I have gotten lazy and kept postponing the annual winter-to-summer 5 to 7 day Wild Fire Vehicle Bug Out Bag reconfiguring. Winter rain and warm clothing to summertime more water and insect protection.

I also do not listen to the radio while driving. Usually do not listen to good music either. At my age I must pay more attention to my and other's driving. Never considered the situation with North Korea. Thank you. The bags will be placed in both SUVS.

I heard that alert today too. My wife happened to be in the car in front of me, listening to the radio on a different station and didn't get the alert - so it appears some stations got it, others didn't.

This isn't the first time I've heard these alerts for real - most of the time it's for an Amber Alert, but this is the third time I've heard a weather alert in the past few years - each time it was for severe thunderstorms moving through the area.

We had an emergency alert come over the TV at 7:29 tonight. It was interesting because I happened to be watching a recorded show that was paused on my Comcast box. The alert came over and then the recorded show continued playing.... Thought it was interesting how advanced the technology has become in just a few short years.

you folks had some great ideas on UPDATE the KIT--->>>now then.....lessee whatchu got!!!

Hint: I gotta do mine too & need more insightful choices for such as 'meals/snacks/' that will last a bit & not be too subject to mindless 'field condition sampling'....

It was a weather alert for the thunderstorms in the Cascades, but it sure got my attention, because until they get into what it is about, it could be anything.

This was the first time I had heard it where it wasn't a test (which do not seem to happen very often anymore).

Which gets me to thinking, maybe I should leave the radio on more often? I know there are alerts for cell phones, but I don't see how to enable them on my phone.

I don't listen to the radio or music anywhere near as much as other people, I have it turned off more often than turned on - I just don't need the noise.
Just buy a little Baofeng dual band radio off eBay. They're cheap and even cheaper used. You can program in the weather alert frequencies and just leave it on and squelched. If you just use it to monitor you don't need a ham license.
Per FCC rules, if its an emergency situation you don't need a license to transmit either, if needed. The little radios will give you a nice tactical advantage if you are out of regular am\fm range or just don't listen to that anyway.
I was listening in my car this afternoon while waiting for my kids and heard the weather alert on two of the weather frequencies. It was very detailed.

Sally Showman (aka guppy) really messed up on the thunder/rain forecast hahahaha. Portlanders - don't go to First Thursday in the Pearl!!! There are going to be dramatic pounding rain and thunderstorms ... and ... crickets.

Tomorrow (this AM) not a word about it will be mentioned. But they sure toot their horn when they are correct.

Sally Showman (aka guppy) really messed up on the thunder/rain forecast hahahaha. Portlanders - don't go to First Thursday in the Pearl!!! There are going to be dramatic pounding rain and thunderstorms ... and ... crickets.

Tomorrow (this AM) not a word about it will be mentioned. But they sure toot their horn when they are correct.
So true!

They all blew the forecast on that one - radio, TV, none of them got that right. I guess to be fair, their were storms, but they were all outside the general PDX/Vancouver metro areas, so impacted a smaller % of the population.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top