JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not rely on defensive ammo without testing it. For rifles, there is no real difference in the shape of the projectile, and I tend to prefer the polymer tip projectiles.

If SHTF and I need to barter ammo for something, in centerfire it will be the FMJ ammo, in rimfire it will be the cheap bulk ammo. I won't be bartering large amounts either unless it is something like needing a doctor or for important meds (there is more than one reason why I have 9 SIGs).

Value is in scarcity. A few years ago, .22 lr ammo was scarce, and I saw people valuing every single little precious cartridge. Now that you can buy it by the bucketful again for 3 cents per round, people buzz through it by the gallon.

Reminds me of an ancient quote, Confucius I think:
"Sex is like air. It's no big deal until you're not getting any."

It would take 10.5 boxes of the 50 round boxes to make a 525rd value pack brick, I meant to say boxes not price earlier when I said 10.5 dollars. At prices zig reported, it would be $4.09 cents back then for a 525rd brick. So that's actually about $35.84 in today's dollars.

Last Edited:
I do not rely on defensive ammo without testing it. For rifles, there is no real difference in the shape of the projectile, and I tend to prefer the polymer tip projectiles.

If SHTF and I need to barter ammo for something, in centerfire it will be the FMJ ammo, in rimfire it will be the cheap bulk ammo. I won't be bartering large amounts either unless it is something like needing a doctor or for important meds (there is more than one reason why I have 9 SIGs).

Why NINE sigs?:eek:

Far better to have many of the same than many all different. You dont have to supply different ammo and techniques or controls (muscle memory).
True, just like eating the exact same meal for dinner every night is best. You don't have to bother with buying different ingredients, learning different recipes and cooking techniques, eating different food you might not like, possibly upsetting your digestion...
:)

Far better to have many of the same than many all different. You dont have to supply different ammo and techniques or controls (muscle memory).

True overall, but...the rule of 2 is one 1 is none also states not to carry two of the same items as if the weakness of one item causes it to fail at the task, the backup item will also fail as it is the same weakness...but overall I agree with your philosophy. Are they all on the books?

And a Colt Python that cost $120 can now go for 3-4K. The good 'ol days aren't coming back. That is not going stop me from dumping 1000+ rounds in a weekend if I so choose, which I do.
And things will continue to get even more expensive where we'll look back to today as the good ol days. It may take 10 years but it will get there.

In a SHTF situation, I won't be able to stay at home and I'd only be able to carry so much ammo with me anyways. I think it's wiser to go through some of the ammo now to sharpen the skills so you are better able to conserve it when SHTF.

True, just like eating the exact same meal for dinner every night is best. You don't have to bother with buying different ingredients, learning different recipes and cooking techniques, eating different food you might not like, possibly upsetting your digestion...
:)

Im having a hard time comparing nutrition to weapons but to clarify my comment above Im not suggesting a hard fast rule that anyone should only have 1 weapon type only just that there are advantages to having backups of what you use best.

True overall, but...the rule of 2 is one 1 is none also states not to carry two of the same items as if the weakness of one item causes it to fail at the task, the backup item will also fail as it is the same weakness...but overall I agree with your philosophy. Are they all on the books?

Im not certain what you mean by in the books, but most modern weapons are well built and its virtually impossible to know of all conditions that would cause one to fail. Id think the odds of the same backup failing the same way pretty low.

Ammo is Life!
Having multiple/well thought out firearms can mean the difference between going hungry, or getting attacked and mauled!
If it were me, I would choose a Black Powder rifle of .36 to .45 caliber able to fire cast Mini, or full conicals with out patching, and I would stock flints and lead like every one else stocks shells. Powder and lead you can source your self if you know where and what to look for, especially here in Oregon where Surfer and Salt Peter and lead are easy to find, learn how to corn your own powders and you should be good to go!
If your running a "Modern" percussion system, stock priming caps by the tin full and stash them where you can reach them!
It always amazes me that folks are so reliant on modern cartridges that they ether do not reload themselves, or are too lazy, or too inexperienced to even be out in the wilds and relying on trade and barter for needed ammo!
Hell, I have a hand loading rig for several cartridges that I can carry in a possibles bag and I can be sitting there by the fire hand loading cartridges as needed, and would only need to source primers once in a while! This is where the older Black Powder cartridges really count, and they are far more capable then folks give them credit for! In the ideal situation, I would be packing one of my Colt 1855 MK-IV's with extra cylinders loaded for different needs, and a big stash of primers in sealed tins, and as much lead and powder as I could carry and stash! Backing that up would be my Ruger Old Army ( Same caliber, same powder, same molds,) and that gives me six rounds of very potent .45 caliber power in a serious hand canon!
Both can fire light loads and shot with the proper loading technique, talk about versatile!

Point is, most of this reality stuff is crap, BUT, for those who know how to do it for real, it is kind of fun to sit there and poke holes in all the stupid stuff they do, and every once in a while, some one comes up with a good idea you might be able to add to your bag of tricks! :cool:

Ammo is Life!

Point is, most of this reality stuff is crap, BUT, for those who know how to do it for real, it is kind of fun to sit there and poke holes in all the stupid stuff they do, and every once in a while, some one comes up with a good idea you might be able to add to your bag of tricks! :cool:
:s0101:

Im having a hard time comparing nutrition to weapons but to clarify my comment above Im not suggesting a hard fast rule that anyone should only have 1 weapon type only just that there are advantages to having backups of what you use best.
I was just being funny; no offense intended. :)

I see no harm in owning multiples of th he same gun. How many here have only one AR? I like Glock 19s so I have a few. Magazines are interchangeable parts can be cannibalized if necessary. They're easy to train people on and shoot cheap ammo. And they're inexpensive (relatively) when you buy them with the GSSF discount. If you can afford to have multiples, why not?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top