JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice! Don't see many people wearing rigs like that anymore. So actually, that ammo was WAAAAAY cheaper back then. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2020 are 768.16% higher than average prices since 1960. The U.S. dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 3.67% per year during this period. In other words, $10.50 in 1960 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $91.16 in 2020, a difference of $80.66 over 60 years.....Wow that ammo was cheap back then...

Those CPI numbers are a bunch of hooey based on consumer prices of food and fuel which has fallen dramatically in actual cost die to increased production capacity for both. Look at real estate or better yet gold as an indicator of actual inflation over the years. 1960 dollars had actually about 40X the buying power as they do today in reference to gold. If you sold one ounce of gold in 1960 you could have bought 4400 rounds of .22 ammo. If you sold one ounce of gold today you could buy 23,000 rounds of .22 ammo.

I will admit that some of my guns I bought partly because I wanted something in that chambering, thinking that if SHTF it would be good to have just in case I came across the ammo - e.g., something that shoots .45 Colt. I already have several .44 mag guns, and they are at least as versatile and powerful as the .45 Colt - but the latter is very popular so when I saw a 460V revolver I bought it. It is big, heavy and expensive. The ammo is expensive. I probably should have just got a Ruger Redhawk instead; I don't really need something that also shoots .454 and .460 mag - but whatever.

Those CPI numbers are a bunch of hooey based on consumer prices of food and fuel which has fallen dramatically in actual cost die to increased production capacity for both. Look at real estate or better yet gold as an indicator of actual inflation over the years. 1960 dollars had actually about 40X the buying power as they do today in reference to gold. If you sold one ounce of gold in 1960 you could have bought 4400 rounds of .22 ammo. If you sold one ounce of gold today you could buy 23,000 rounds of .22 ammo.

Gold is subject to speculation. Real estate is too, but not near as much - also real estate is a finite resource so it will inflate as more people are born. Food, energy, etc., not so much - we can only produce so much food, but we have not reached the peak on most kinds (we have with seafood) - yet.

Gold is subject to speculation. Real estate is too, but not near as much - also real estate is a finite resource so it will inflate as more people are born. Food, energy, etc., not so much - we can only produce so much food, but we have not reached the peak on most kinds (we have with seafood) - yet.
We produce a LOT more food per capita than we did 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. I have worked a career in Food production and industrial farming. Food is a fraction of what it costs decades ago after adjusted for inflation. The same holds true for energy but not quite as extreme. Look at examples like chicken which was a luxury food up until the advent of industrial farming . Bread was essentially the same price in 1960 as it is today at about a buck a loaf. Milk and especially beef, if you figure out how many hours you had to work to purchase them in 1960 vs today doing the same job are about 1/4 the price. The CDI is riddled with examples like that where modern efficiency in production has driven the cost of staples down to the point where their numbers are nonsense.
A Colt cost an ounce of gold in 1900. A Colt costs an ounce of gold today. Its the Colt standard.

Last Edited:
In a money-less society Gold, Silver and other "valuable baubles" only have value if someone already has an amble supplies of life's essentials, food, water, clothing, shelter, medical care , security, ect. Other than that it's just extra weight.

In a money-less society Gold, Silver and other "valuable baubles" only have value if someone already has an amble supplies of life's essentials, food, water, clothing, shelter, medical care , security, ect. Other than that it's just extra weight.

And an example of when that has ever been in the recorded history of man would be...

On per weight basis, gold is still more valuable as a trading commodity where there is a market.

In a SHTF situation, at some point, that market is going to be non-existent for most people - unless they have so much surplus of what they need they can afford to trade some of it off - in speculation - for "precious metals". Personally I don't know anybody who has so much set aside in SHTF preps that they would be willing to do that kind of trading in a SHTF scenario.

Right now, it is kind of the opposite; more people with surplus $ willing to spend them on preps, including ammo, which has doubled or even tripled it cost. I have sold some ammo because I was able to make a profit on ball ammo and then add some $ to that and buy expanding self-defense ammo. It was worth it to me to spend 30-50% more to get the expanding ammo - in some cases I got the expanding ammo for the same $ I sold ball ammo for.

I decided to pull my ammo ads. It's going to be harder to get ammo than money here pretty soon. 500 bucks or 1000 rounds total of 9 and .45? Right now the money sounds good, because I have the ammo. Six months from now? Who knows.

I think the big city social instability, c-19 stimulus and large unemployment checks created a perfect storm of demand. I don't see it getting better, if Trump wins the riots continue, if Biden wins the panic over restrictions continue.... I don't have enough to weather another multi year drought so I suppose it's time to dust off the airsoft and archery... Or maybe time for a Hawken kit rifle.....

I decided to pull my ammo ads. It's going to be harder to get ammo than money here pretty soon. 500 bucks or 1000 rounds total of 9 and .45? Right now the money sounds good, because I have the ammo. Six months from now? Who knows.
If Harris/Biden become our leaders you can bet going after ammo may be a simpler task than going after firearms... After all, if they fail at banning guns, taxing ammo to death, especially at the Federal level. Prepare for a natonwide Seattle Ammo style tax via Biden/Harris proposal.

Might be a good time to get into reloading and finding people who can get components off the grid.. I'm sure if they tax ammo, powder and primers will get a hefty tax as well though.. No winning.. Of course, this will lead to black markets as with all other government over-regulation and control over commerce (of any sort).

I sold a rifle and ammo for about $3800 in two separate transactions IIRC

Then I sold several more lots of ammo - ball and collectable ammo.

Then I ordered some ammo online and bought several lots of ammo from people here.

I still have some $ in my guns/ammo budget so if I see a good deal I can jump on it - conversely, for my primary defensive ammo I think I have enough (10K+ rounds for three people), and then I have secondary and backup ammo behind that. I have some gaps here and there - but I think I will be okay until (if) ammo becomes affordable again.

I am more concerned now about future legislation regarding guns and ammo than I am about how much I have - worried that limits for possession may be put into place.

I have so much ammo I can swim thru it like scrooge mcduck in his money vault.

You guys do this too.......right?
I sure hope nobody here is low on ammo

Keep in mind that neighbors and family may need ammo and you may need things and goodwill from them. That can eat into your supplies real quick. The saying "there is safety in numbers" applies to both people and ammo/guns.

For the most part, I don't have enough ammo to share/trade, not in calibers they are likely to have - except for rimfire.

So when I see good deals on ammo, even if I think I have enough, I usually go ahead and jump on it - got a good deal last week on 5.7x28 ammo, which is not a caliber that is likely to be commonly available in any situation - so 10K+ is not too much and barely enough IMO.

Thats just down right mean....
Ok it's more like a slip an slide than a pool but nah im only joking.

I can never find ammo in stores or online always out of stock. As such I haven't been going to the range much and I refuse to pay the riot tax to utilize my 2A.

I love finding 762 ammo for $6-7 a box of 20 but when offered 100rnd of 556 I'm expected to pay $48 for it. Something tells me somewhere in the line someone's lazy. (yes I get service based economy and supply/demand) but do we have highway bandits knocking over semis carrying the ammo? Are factories held hostage?.

Ok ok fine election year/riots/virus etc etc I thought ARs and ammo where so plentiful and in over abundance that it would take more than this to cause the prices to be only affordable if you got 6figure incomes.

The amount of people that waited until ammo was scarce to start stockpiling it, and are now complaining about availability and price is hilarious to me. I'm not sorry about it. The last few years there has been a glut of good ammo and firearms for reasonable (cheap, even) prices and for whatever the reason a decision was made to not stock up. It was a bad decision. We all make them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top