JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Preparedness ammunition stockpile philosophy

• Enormous stores of ammo are essential. Stack it high and deep! Can't have too much!

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • Having a large supply is good, but must be balanced with space and cost with other preps.

Votes: 66 62.3%
  • Having defensive arms, and ammunition for said, is important, but not a huge consideration.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Minimalist approach because it just isn't that important. Some handy, some to practice, or hunt.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • It is not important at all. Have the means to defend yourself, but lots of ammo is a waste.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Guns are scary and bad! Dot Gov will save you during an emergency!

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Um ... eh, wut wuz duh (burp!) ques'n eh-gain? (Bromp!)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Easy for me to confuse SHTF ammo levels with OTHER ammo level requirements. Different. For mobile adaptable SHTF planning, just enough ammo for a good balanced boggie loadout and not more is all that is necessary. Water and shelter is more important.

Evac bags. Three to seven day boggie bags. Auto, bike and on foot. Wildfires will take everything else if your home is burnt down. For me this means keeping guns and ammo to a minimum. One light rifle, no handguns at all and about 100-150 rounds of ammo.
And as we approach 70, some of us, and others with health problems regardless of age, just won't be able to "boogie" at all - I run out of breath walking up the road 100 yards to put the garbage in the can once a week. It is stand and fight for me.

I fall somewhere in the middle regarding ammo stores. I don't really have a set goal to meet any specific scenarios but I do tend to shoot more than some. So, when I see a decent deal on ammo I buy what the budget will allow and over the years it has turned into a modest little stash. With the exception of some recently bought reloadable brass cased 7.62x39, I haven't purchased any ammo since the summer of 2020. I can wait for the market to stabilize a bit before buying anymore.

There is this thing called the internet. Ammo ordered on the internet will be delivered most places in the USA, even Portland (although I seem to recall hearing on retailer refusing to ship something gun related to Portland due to Antifa?).

Plus, occasionally, one of us old timers sells some ammo for reasonable prices here on NWFA.
Fair point :)

But these prices are outrageous (I hadn't looked in over a year)

ammoseek.jpg

No. I actually didn't know Oregon had two times zones until we drove thru Baker City.
You're forgetting the third one - my wife's personal time zone "Whenever I Damn Well Feel Like It" which is GMT +- Infinity.

The Ontario area will eventually be one hour off Oregon's only during DST as soon as Washington State gets on board with Forever Daylight Savings Time, which has already passed in Oregon and California.

The unintended consequences are that a lot of network & telecom equipment including Cisco uses a license MAC based on time zone, so all those devices will have 30 days for the vendors to cut new licenses after the equipment settings are changed basically to Arizona time.

Depends on the situation. If your intent is to shelter-in-place-until-the-end, you'll need more ammo than someone who's more "location flexible," who in turn has to strike a delicate balance of "enough to do the job, but not so much as to hold you in place when Time To GO comes." Standardizing a few key calibers/loads and stacking up at least a few cases of each does seem kinda obvious... and whatever your main caliber, figure 10x your round-count for it in .22LR. (Especially AR guys; a CMMG/Ciener/similar drop-in conversion bolt and a swap of mags and your Patrol Rifle switches to small-game taker or using more readily disposable for proficiency.)

My first at least 20 years of ammo buying, from the late 80s on, had no fluctuations. So what I am complaining about may seem like the norm to you, but four presidents and the Crime Bill didn't affect ammo prices and availability. In 2006 I bought 1000 rounds of shiny military .308 surplus for $120. 50 rounds of 9mm could be had that entire time for $5 box, with a choice of brands. 1000 round value box of .22 was $14. Stuff was never out of stock.

I was in a number of shooting clubs at the time, and while many of us reloaded, no one ever talked about stockpiling ammunition. So all this may seem normal, but there wasn't any prepping going on, and no one ever talked about zombies. So I don't know if everything changed because the president was black or what, but this new normal is not.
Where were you located then?

I was shooting and reloading through all of those, and the only thing I remember dealing with was hard to find magazines.
Again, where on earth were you that you didn't see this?

Obama passed pretty much zero gun control. Clinton, Bush and Reagan put in more. I don't know what caused this sea-change in behavior, but it didn't seem to be policy.
It isn't the passage of gun-control laws that triggers a run on the gun/ammo market. It's the threat of anti-gun legislation that sends people running to the stores. When that punk shot up Sandy Hook elementary, the cries for gun control sent people scurrying off to the gun stores to clear the shelves. Same thing happened in 2008, when Obama ran, in 2016 when Hilary had a shot at becoming president and again when Biden ran and won the presidency. What we are in now is the end of a perfect storm of panic buying triggers:
Covid--Police ranks would be thinned by disease . Better stock up!
BLM/antifa rioting--Feckless democrat mayors failed to keep order in their cities, Rioting everywhere. Better stock up!
Liberal, virulently anti-gun democrat elected President, dems have house and senate--Damn well better stock up!

Look at my former home, California, Every anti gun law that was proposed passed, which triggered a stampede, the threat of anti-gun laws there was very real, A proposed 5 cent/bullet tax bill cleaned the shelves. The law that banned home delivery of ammo and required background checks on ammo purchases caused no end of hernias and back issues for UPS and Fedex drivers all over the PRK as folks bought up all they could before those laws went into effect.
Obama's race had nothing to do with the ammo rushes of 2008, His politics, on the other hand, had everything to do with it.

Wisconsin to 96, Florida to 98, Virginia to 02, Nevada to 05, back to Virginia til 07.
Did you ever go into a gun shop or department and notice the empty ammo shelves? Or limits on how much ammo you could purchase in any of these places? Even if you were just there to buy reloading supplies?
So, after the shootings at Las Vegas, Sandy Hook or Stoneman High or that night club in Florida, or after Obama's and Biden's elections or Hilary's nomination. Neither you, nor your friends went to a gun shop and saw people buying up ammo, or empty ammo shelves or signs saying how much ammo you are limited to?
My credulity is strained.

( And so is my grammar here:oops:)

Did you ever go into a gun shop or department and notice the empty ammo shelves? Or limits on how much ammo you could purchase in any of these places? Even if you were just there to buy reloading supplies?
So, after the shootings at Las Vegas, Sandy Hook or Stoneman High or that night club in Florida, or after Obama's and Biden's elections or Hilary's nomination. Neither you, nor your friends went to a gun shop and saw people buying up ammo, or empty ammo shelves or signs saying how much ammo you are limited to?
My credulity is strained.

( And so is my grammar here:oops:)
Yes, after Obama. As I already said, for the first 20 years nothing like that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top