JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Point is, most of this reality stuff is crap, BUT, for those who know how to do it for real, it is kind of fun to sit there and poke holes in all the stupid stuff they do, and every once in a while, some one comes up with a good idea you might be able to add to your bag of tricks!

I agree. I find it interesting too, but I'm not a prepper or a survivalist. When you have close family members who rely heavily on modern medicine, it seems pointless to get very far into all that stuff, other than the basic common sense stuff like having some meds ahead, and basic food and water supplies in case of some kind of disaster, natural or otherwise.

I'm also not a "serious operator". I once got some guys irked at me on a thread about magazines. They were discussing how many to have, per gun, and the consensus was LOTS and LOTS (dozens if not hundreds). I added my thoughts that, for me, two or three per gun was plenty. More than that would just sit around forever unused. I was quickly informed that it was a discussion for "serious operators" preparing for combat, and that recreational shooters like me should just mind my own business. :)

I can see the value in owning several of the exact same gun, if it's what you train with and rely on for serious purposes. Good to have a spare or two. That seems very logical and wise. I'm not knocking that at all.

For myself, the vast majority of my shooting (and interest in guns in general) is recreational, so "variety is the spice of life". I have many different types of guns, in many different calibers, spanning well over a century.

What 1000 rounds did you buy at $60????!!!!!! :eek:
1000 rounds of Chinee 7.62X39, or a 2-tin case of 7.62X54, or a case of older 7.92X57.. this was in the 1980's-early '90's.. if not exact it very was close.
In any event Ima stick the mofos wit muh lil cold steel Natchez inuhways and save bullets...
While possible I'd hate to have to depend on .22LR to survive and flourish. But better than nothing for sure!

All this talk about ammo made me go out and buy another 300 rounds, 250 124grain 9mm Blazer Brass and 50 .380 Hornady Critical Defense.

It also reminds me not to ever sell another pistol just because I have three of them. I sold a Tanfoglio TA90 case hardened finish just because I had two other TA90s, one blue and one in their "Wonder" finish. I just figured that the case hardened would not get shot often, but I should have thought about using it as a parts gun or spare if it came down to it. The FFL holder did not follow the contract and I ended up losing money from my original cost in 1993, it was 99%+ condition, and he threw in a new in package magazine that I had marked $25, also in the contract. To top it off, the contract had expired a week earlier and I called to let him know that I was coming by to pick it up. That is when he told me that he had just sold it - for less than the lowest (call me) price on the contract. Not a good experience.

Smart upthread fella said:
I do not rely on defensive ammo without testing it. For rifles, there is no real difference in the shape of the projectile, and I tend to prefer the polymer tip projectiles
Same here. Roll multiple mags through to confirm it's good. Which is how that Promag for the P220 got thrown into the trash out at the range. I like HST. Sigs eat it up and IMO, it's the best defensive ammo made. When there is a sale I stock it deep and cheap.

Upthread fella said:
If SHTF and I need to barter ammo for something, in centerfire it will be the FMJ ammo, in rimfire it will be the cheap bulk ammo. I won't be bartering large amounts either unless it is something like needing a doctor or for important meds (there is more than one reason why I have 9 SIGs).
They aren't all the same pistol . Different models, sizes and calibers
ONLY 9? Same situation here although with this group I don't think I'll step up and announce how many I have. Cough*** cough**, lets just say that there is plenty of bartering material:). As an aside, I have parts as well. Lots and lots. Won't need ammo, parts or pistols. In fact, might have too much now as it is. Have too much whisky stocked for bartering as well.

SIGness: anyone who has a serious addiction of continuing to buy,or wanting to buy, any of the SIG line of firearms.

Because you can't just buy one. Also, because I felt I needed three of each kind (three people in my immediate family).

1581135793714.png

If all those top of the line SiGs are the same caliber you're hosed if that caliber is fresh out later on.
.32 S&W Long sucks as a defensive round, but it sure beats nothing when all the 9mm is gone from the shelves and there's that one lonely box of them.
Having a 1895 Nagant that you can shoot beats that Glock/Python/1911/Korth with no boolits.

My nomination is a Dan Wesson .357 with whatever 2 bbls you want.

If all those top of the line SiGs are the same caliber you're hosed if that caliber is fresh out later on.
.32 S&W Long sucks as a defensive round, but it sure beats nothing when all the 9mm is gone from the shelves and there's that one lonely box of them.
Having a 1895 Nagant that you can shoot beats that Glock/Python/1911/Korth with no boolits.

My nomination is a Dan Wesson .357 with whatever 2 bbls you want.
This is true, it's a good idea to keep a not so popular caliber around. I had this though during the last ammo scare. All the popular stuff was gone. But stuff most have never heard of like .270 Winchester and other random calibers was readily available. Then again it's best to have a good amount on hand....

Instead of wasting money on obscure calibers on the off chance a box will be sitting on the shelf of some ransacked store;. Why not spend that money on reloading gear for the calibers you own?
Get molds because lead will be available everywhere Save your brass because you can reload it multiple times. A couple sleeves of primers and a few kegs of powder should see you through the apocalypse.

My take is the money spent on obscure caliber guns is a lot of extra boxes of 9mm ammo. When it comes down to the last box I dont see what difference the caliber makes but Im more likely to find or pillage 9mm somewhere along they way...

See those 4 slide/barrel combos, those are two .22 conversions (one each for a 229 and 226), and two .40 conversions. Some of those SIGs are .40, some are 9mm and some are .45 ACP. Not shown is a .357 SIG barrel that will fit just fine in any of the .40 slides. There is also a 9mm barrel (IIRC) not shown that fits in a .40 slide. I will be buying more 9mm barrels for the SIGs that are .40 S&W. While a P220 .22 conversion slide and barrel would fit on the 227, nobody makes a .22 magazine for it (the P220 is single stack, the 227 is double stack).

SIGs are about as versatile as Glocks when it comes to barrel/slide combos that interchange - maybe more so (except for the smaller and less common SIGs like my P224 - but I can get a 9mm barrel for it too). Also, a lot of the parts interchange; extractors, triggers/et. al. and so on.

Trust me - I've got my bases covered; I've got guns in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .460 Mag (.45 Colt and .454 Casull work in that gun too), more .22 RF guns than anything else, 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .30-30, .308, .45-70, 7.62x39, 5.56x45, .50 BMG, .30-06, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 5.7x28 and probably a couple of others I am forgetting about.

This is true, it's a good idea to keep a not so popular caliber around. I had this though during the last ammo scare. All the popular stuff was gone. But stuff most have never heard of like .270 Winchester and other random calibers was readily available. Then again it's best to have a good amount on hand....

When I was in Rifleworks some months back, I compared the 9mm ammo supply they had on the shelf to their supply of .357 SIG - they had well over double the amount of 9mm ammo IIRC - maybe it was more, I forget. Next time you are in a store that stocks ammo, compare how much is there of the unpopular chamberings. Sure, there may be a box or two of .257 Roberts left behind, or maybe 6.5x50, but that doesn't make it a wise choice.

If you are going to rely on what will be left over after everybody else has cleared the shelves, then you probably won't find much left, and you probably won't be sharing ammo with your neighbors, or finding anybody willing to barter for your ammo. Personally, I stock up on ammo I need, not choosing to rely on ammo I find laying around here or there after everybody else has picked over it.

Instead of wasting money on obscure calibers on the off chance a box will be sitting on the shelf of some ransacked store;. Why not spend that money on reloading gear for the calibers you own?
Get molds because lead will be available everywhere Save your brass because you can reload it multiple times. A couple sleeves of primers and a few kegs of powder should see you through the apocalypse.

This is what my MT husband has done since the early 70's.

He was not planning on the poop hitting the fan when he got into reloading or casting bullets though!

He reloaded a lot so he could shoot much more especially when he used to compete. Plus he used to have many more firearm calibers compared to now.

Shooting was his MAIN hobby if you did not count fishing, hunting or hiking. Throw in reading to the list too.

Cate

When I was in Rifleworks some months back, I compared the 9mm ammo supply they had on the shelf to their supply of .357 SIG - they had well over double the amount of 9mm ammo IIRC - maybe it was more, I forget. Next time you are in a store that stocks ammo, compare how much is there of the unpopular chamberings. Sure, there may be a box or two of .257 Roberts left behind, or maybe 6.5x50, but that doesn't make it a wise choice.

If you are going to rely on what will be left over after everybody else has cleared the shelves, then you probably won't find much left, and you probably won't be sharing ammo with your neighbors, or finding anybody willing to barter for your ammo. Personally, I stock up on ammo I need, not choosing to rely on ammo I find laying around here or there after everybody else has picked over it.

I agree that stocking up on factory ammunition (RF or CF or shotgun shells if you own a shogun.) that you NEED is better than trying to FIND something that may or may not be on the shelves.

So buy what you actually USE, NEED or SHOOT when it comes to ammunition or in any other item. Whether a person lives alone, has a spouse or a family - buying a bunch of ammunition or even a food item for firearms that you do not OWN CALIBER WISE or for food that you can't stand to eat makes no sense to me.

Cate

I see no harm in owning multiples of th he same gun. How many here have only one AR? I like Glock 19s so I have a few. Magazines are interchangeable parts can be cannibalized if necessary. They're easy to train people on and shoot cheap ammo. And they're inexpensive (relatively) when you buy them with the GSSF discount. If you can afford to have multiples, why not?

My husband has matching, exact copies of the same pistol. Brand, model, year, caliber - 45acp.

We used to have some matching rifles too. We had some other matching handguns when I used to shoot handguns. I had some Ruger single action revolvers that matched too.

He had some sweet custom made and factory made handguns that shared ammunition and were very close in their looks from Freedom Arms single action revolvers to Kimber semi automatic pistols to you name it over the years too.

He only owned one Colt Woodsman and one Ruger Bearcat.

His rifles do not match now (Duplicate copies.) but he does have the same calibers in a few of them.

A few 22lr rifles. One 22lr pocket pistol.

2 - 30-30 rifles.

2- 45-70 rifles.

1 - .223 bolt action rifle.

1- 30-06 bolt action rifle.

My main rifle is a 22lr CZ rifle and that BOLT ACTION rifle shares the same magazines as his CZ 22lr bolt action rifle does.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top