JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also think of gold as just another type of investment, and like all other types of investment, its value is dependent on market forces. Not the same market forces as say, a share of Tesla or whatever, but it'll still be affected by say, changes in mining regulations, changes in import tariffs, etc. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

If you're thinking about it as an alternative currency, I'd prefer silver in that case. Gold's too valuable to be much use for barter, whereas already-minted US silver coins exist and have amounts of silver that are useful in daily transactions. A silver US quarter today will buy you a cheeseburger and then some, same as it did in 1960.

I also think of gold as just another type of investment, and like all other types of investment, its value is dependent on market forces. Not the same market forces as say, a share of Tesla or whatever, but it'll still be affected by say, changes in mining regulations, changes in import tariffs, etc. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

If you're thinking about it as an alternative currency, I'd prefer silver in that case. Gold's too valuable to be much use for barter, whereas already-minted US silver coins exist and have amounts of silver that are useful in daily transactions. A silver US quarter today will buy you a cheeseburger and then some, same as it did in 1960.
After you sell it for dollars but that has been discussed.

Silver over $27 not that I care about the day to day. "Trading silver" is a joke. Buying, retaining knowing the dollar is doomed is not. Buying more 22lr soon which I see as even superior because its price history and that it has a purpose whether day 1 or ten years from now.

Silver over $27 not that I care about the day to day. "Trading silver" is a joke. Buying, retaining knowing the dollar is doomed is not. Buying more 22lr soon which I see as even superior because its price history and that it has a purpose whether day 1 or ten years from now.
Gold is at $2300+. An all-time high, I believe. Similar thoughts to it as your silver comments.

Both would be far higher, if not for the electronic "coins". Bitcoin etc. Which have added a "new" way for some folks to attempt a hedge against inflation. IMO.

Gold is at $2300+. An all-time high, I believe. Similar thoughts to it as your silver comments.

Both would be far higher, if not for the electronic "coins". Bitcoin etc. Which have added a "new" way for some folks to attempt a hedge against inflation. IMO.
When Bitcoin first hit I was going to toss a C note at it. Fully intending to lose the money. At that time they were cents each for the coins. It was beyond my computer abilities to buy it though so I gave up. Damn if I had found someone to help me jump through those hoops? Wife and I would no longer be working :s0140:
Now days I do buy silver as just one of our investments. Never really expect to make real money off it though. The cyber money scares me as it could one day really just be worth nothing where as the metal I own I can't see that happening. Damn some people have made a KILLING on the stuff though.

Fully expect when CBDCs are forced on us any other forms of currency will be deemed illegal and crushed.

The creators of the foreign-owned Fed will have had enough of it. They have patience and are just waiting to do their thing to cripple anyone who dared to not give them their control or cut. Until that day, yes, alternate cryptos have actually been amazing.

Something worth a fortune but based on nothing. Gov't hackers could wipe it all out tomorrow. Gov't hates crypto. Try to pay your taxes with it sometime. People that have it and have never paid taxes on gains will be exposed and pursued.

Maybe time to hit Costco up for some gold….

IMG_0658.jpeg

Even though an ounce of Gold or larger is priced more reasonable, always been a fan of smaller pieces, 1-5 gram bars, etc.

IF gold ever goes to its real value (as in Fort Knox is 95% empty for decades, Fiat crashes, etc) the price of even an ounce would be far past 99% of buyer's resources.

Just me, but I also won't buy when the price is climbing. Always thought over the years it is really amazing with silver also - when prices are significantly trending UP that is when BUYERS flock to get some.

Costco is selling 1-ounce bars made of nearly pure 24-karat gold. While the price is not disclosed online to nonmembers, it's estimated that the product generally sells for about 2% above the spot price, which as of Tuesday morning was around $2,357 an ounce. That would put the price at Costco just more than $2,400.

1712707345758.jpeg

Not available in the Seattle area though. 🤷‍♂️

Costco is selling 1-ounce bars made of nearly pure 24-karat gold. While the price is not disclosed online to nonmembers, it's estimated that the product generally sells for about 2% above the spot price, which as of Tuesday morning was around $2,357 an ounce. That would put the price at Costco just more than $2,400.

$2380.40 right now at JM with free delivery.

Every time I have looked online, it says not available in my area (based on zip code). I would like getting 4% of the price back.
Walmart sells as well.

Other reputable dealers online:

Walmart sells as well.

Other reputable dealers online:

I've used SD Bullion many times over the years. Highly recommended, never an issue.
I have found the Walmart prices to be about 2 to 2.5% higher than Costco.

Opportunity lost.
Back in the early 1970's, I had this plan to buy a 1 oz. gold Krugerrand every paycheck and do so until I retired. Getting 26 paychecks a year, and eventually working 45 years, I would have had 1,170 coins. Unfortunately, other necessities took priority and I never started the plan. Getting married, buying a house and second car, then 2 children, then a bigger house all got first dibs, as well as contributing to a company-sponsored 401K. I have never tried to figure out how much after tax (cash) I would had invested in the coins, but I imagine close to or over $1M. Selling them at $2K per ounce today, that's a decent chuck of cash, but it would have taken 40 years to double the investment.
No regrets, I have loved my wife for 46 years and have 2 wonderful children, now successful adults. I cannot put a price on my family.
I haven't actually checked the numbers BUT, But, but.......
Yeah.....double. And it only took 40 years. Personally and IMHO.....THAT isn't my idea of a "good investment".

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top