JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all,

I was at a range in Texas and brought my AKM to zero in the sights and perceived a vibe of hostility by those present. I wanted to ask the community here if they have ever encountered a stigma at certain ranges due to the belief that the rifle is somehow inherently evil by those who served in our military and take offense at an AKM present at their range.

I'm truly not trying to provoke anything here, just attempting to understand the situation in hindsight.

Thanks!
I HAVE to chime in for a brief moment. I want to share a little bit with you.

Story time ( grab your popcorn and drink). ;)
I am originally from Elmhurst, IL. Moved to Berwyn and then Cicero. I grew up under the impression that they were not worth a damn and inaccurate. I spent time in the US Army. Still under the same impression.
I went to a local range in Washington and someone had one. They just bought it and asked me if I wanted to try it.
What try a firearm? Heck yeah! Shooting for FREE is always fun! :rolleyes:
So he handed it over gave a crash course and said go ahead.
So I did and was quite impressed. What :eek:
I bought one and took it to work on my day off to show my other gun nut coworkers. You know what I got? It's inaccurate, the Russians just pray and spray. So I offered to let them stand 350 yards away.

All declined to stand down range. I even took it out into the woods and shot it iron sights. The older gentleman was like what you aiming at? I said that stump. He ranged it at 407 yards. Looked through his spotting scope and watched me peg it 30 out of 30 times.

I no longer get crap from anyone else.

I HAVE to chime in for a brief moment. I want to share a little bit with you.

Story time ( grab your popcorn and drink). ;)
I am originally from Elmhurst, IL. Moved to Berwyn and then Cicero. I grew up under the impression that they were not worth a damn and inaccurate. I spent time in the US Army. Still under the same impression.
I went to a local range in Washington and someone had one. They just bought it and asked me if I wanted to try it.
What try a firearm? Heck yeah! Shooting for FREE is always fun! :rolleyes:
So he handed it over gave a crash course and said go ahead.
So I did and was quite impressed. What :eek:
I bought one and took it to work on my day off to show my other gun nut coworkers. You know what I got? It's inaccurate, the Russians just pray and spray. So I offered to let them stand 350 yards away.

All declined to stand down range. I even took it out into the woods and shot it iron sights. The older gentleman was like what you aiming at? I said that stump. He ranged it at 407 yards. Looked through his spotting scope and watched me peg it 30 out of 30 times.

I no longer get crap from anyone else.
The inaccuracy stigma from what ive witnessed is over enlarged, from my obsevation probably coming out of the ar15 comparison a generally more accurate platform,
2 Mass production (serious mass production) which probably heald QC issues, and lastly( i think this IS the most significant) the troops that carried these rifles to combat, alot of militia groups and poor nations with lesser militaries (lesser trained, less accurate shooters)

Don't let any of these guys fool you 95% of them have a AK47 or some sort of AK variant lol they just giving you S#!+
I'm a 5%er.. never have never will.

I also don't like any condiments. If variety is the spice of life I'm bland.

I got one nothing special a very cheap one but it works like all of them it just keeps on going and going and going IMAG0658.jpg IMAG0261.jpg hanging on the door of my safe

Well Trump should build the wall along OR .California border be better for us up here too lol BUILD THAT WALL .BUILD THAT WALL .BUILD THAT WALL. BUILD THAT WALL .LOL LOL LOL

Someday, part of me wants to lay hands on a Hero of the Soviet Union medal... just to taunt the Commies about "we won, you LOST, your highest honors are now our cheap trinkets."

Biggest thing stopping me from an AK build is a lot of hand-fitting, not having semiauto blueprints, and neither Stamped nor Milled being quickly or easily completed with hand tools like how I can knock out an AR lower in a couple days if I keep to it straight through.

Biggest thing stopping me from an AK build is a lot of hand-fitting, not having semiauto blueprints, and neither Stamped nor Milled being quickly or easily completed with hand tools like how I can knock out an AR lower in a couple days if I keep to it straight through.
You know that it's the pressing of the barrel into the receiver that is the most important thing and the hardest. The rest is pretty easy.

You know that it's the pressing of the barrel into the receiver that is the most important thing and the hardest. The rest is pretty easy.
I mean bending and welding the flats is... can't heat-treat, hell I can't even bring in a vise for my AR barrels if it has to be bolted down. Landlords are picky about these things, and I'm not real comfortable about asking the Maintenance Guy "hey dude, can I borrow your shop for a project? I'll pay the range fees and buy ya a box of ammo for a checkout shoot...", ya know? :)

I mean bending and welding the flats is... can't heat-treat, hell I can't even bring in a vise for my AR barrels if it has to be bolted down. Landlords are picky about these things, and I'm not real comfortable about asking the Maintenance Guy "hey dude, can I borrow your shop for a project? I'll pay the range fees and buy ya a box of ammo for a checkout shoot...", ya know? :)
What the French toast? Sorry but I just don't understand some people.

Then again, given that some of the other tenants can be a bit disreputable I can understand wanting to protect his investment and not wanting me punching holes in the furniture to mount things... other than that, it could be worse--on the bright side, one of the receptionists has her CCW and is looking to learn the ropes of better personal-defense technique, so occasionally at slow times I haul the books down to the front office and we study together, though for me it's more "maintenance/refresher."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top