JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I don't care for them particularly ... That said:
Do you like 'em?
Can you use your firearm safely?
Then if yes ... that's all that really should matter at the end of the day.

Sorry you had a bad experience at the range.
We are all "Brothers and Sisters of the Loyal order of the bullet " , so to speak and infighting over what gun should be allowed at a range or owned , general gun snobbery , does nothing to help with our greater challenges.

Challenges like being seen as :
Slob hunters and shooters.
Unsafe folks who are only out to harm others with all their guns.
Racist , uncaring people

Or the challenges that we face when we here things like :
The gun's only purpose is to kill
Guns are unsafe
You do not need ( insert choice of gun here ) for ( insert choice of reason here )
You do not need a magazine that holds ( insert choice of number here )

Granted the last two touch on what the OP is asking ... but we as gun owners need to stand together.
Any gun has the chance to be on or already is on someone's "You shouldn't be able to own " list.

So again speaking only for myself:
I don't care for them , or modern in-line muzzle loaders , heck there are even a few antique guns that I don't like.
So what?
We should not be held to the whim of what someone else likes or dislikes.
Do you like the gun? Can you use it safely?
That's all that really should be asked.
Andy

Sorry, just responding to the whole FUDD (new to me) thing.
See Diamonback's post above regarding Zumbo and a few others.

Elmer Fudd...the cartoon. Hunting wascawy wabbits. Fudds tend to like their deer hunting bolt guns and fowl shooting shotguns because apparently that is what the 2nd Ammendment is all about.

All others are apparently thugs as Warren from The Gun Room calls 'em...

And I'm asking because I would appreciate your thoughts on hostility towards bringing AMK to a range. No troll here... just an honest question, otherwise why am I here?
Hostility to you or the gun? Honestly it just sounds like a group of guys just enjoying talking smack. Getting the stink eye? Keep shooting. You do pay to use the range. If they are they disturb you while trying to shoot, report them to management. Otherwise just ignore them. I haven't been to a range in a long time. I enjoy my time spent in the middle of nowhere.

Unless these guys are acting like bullies just ignore them. If they comment on what you're using oh well. I'd probably ruffle their feathers for fun. Anyway, don't let them get to you.

Not mentioned in the OP is whether or not he was rapid firing or continuous firing thru the whole 20/30 round mag. I'm not against such things, but it can be irritatting when sitting under a covered firing line and the guy next door is blazing away...nicking up the target stands.

For years I was really never interested in them. I used to do border patrol during the cold war along former communist borders, so that's kind of what they always represented to me. We used to play with them when OPFOR would drop off crates of them so we could familiarize with the enemies weapons. So my viewpoint on them was tied to my association with fighting communism. After the recent large influx of AKM's over the last decade, I began to adopt a different understanding towards them. Just as many people associate the AR's with the Vietnam era, I was finding that my views were tied into the era I served in.
So one day I had the opportunity to buy one from an Iraq vet who was going through some tough times with a divorce. I gave him his asking price for a WASR and dove in to the category. The WASR brought back a lot of memories. I found out that it did belong in my collection and my life. Owning the weapon of my former sworn enemies has it's own distinct honor. So I'm good with it.

Just another "ism". A bias for no reason. Show up certain places with a Taurus or a budget 1911 you get the same thing.

AK variants are excellent firearms. Used to be one of the best values out there. $3-500 30 caliber durable rifle. If you paid for range time don't worry about the haters. Just have at it. And if you feel them eyeballing from behind, remind them real gentlemen keep their eye's, up. Up here sir.

My son-in-law owns two SKS rifles... the rifles are not generally well thought of because at one time they were real inexpensive. $80 or so. But hey, fun to shoot!!

I don't really know how people feel about commie guns, but I always thought they were cheaply and poorly made, and not very accurate. Then I found out how reliable they are. Gotta give some respect for a gun that shoots even when filled with mud.

I have an AK deriviant. I don't shoot it often, but on a couple of occasions I've been asked at the range, "what do you have that for?" A ridiculously rhetorical question. I own it to shoot, and it's one more gun for an easy to find cartridge, when some cartridges could be in short supply. It operates flawlessly and is relatively accurate. So, a feller could own and shoot most any gun, and very little is questioned. But the AK is questioned.

I believe it's important to have a supply of 7.62x39 ammo, and a gun it'll work in. A Mini 30 would be my preference, by a huge margin, but not all Mini's will shoot rooshkie ammo. Not a flaw of the gun, but a design of the gun that the firing pin protrusion is designed for Boxer primers.

So, enter the AK. It will shoot anything!

Last Edited:
Fudds don't like them. The Fudd owner at Allison Carey Gunworks asked me what the peep sight I wanted was going to be mounted on. I told him an AKM i was building. He grabbed the package from my hand, put it back on the hook and walked away. I said hey, what's that about and he acted like I wasn't even in the store. Ignorant philistine...I have never darkend their lame door since that day.

Great for him. With the way ANYTHING can be bought online now just what he needs. Act like an asshat to customers.

A Vietnam Vet buddy of mine, now deceased...He was an E-7 in the boonies. His weapon of choice was the AK. He was ordered not to carry one. He said it was his arse, and he carried one anyway, and was busted in rank over it.

My ex in particular thought it was great fun to rack up scores that bent them over the bench and made them her b*tches...
To elaborate on this, it's ironic to note that she was the better shot of us at the bench, but *I* was the one brought in to protect *her*. (Also illustrates the difference between "bench" and "applied" shooting, and how being good at one doesn't guarantee equal success at the other. LOL)

Never really experienced this problem.

1471870319418.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews