JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I was at a range in Texas and brought my AKM to zero in the sights and perceived a vibe of hostility by those present. I wanted to ask the community here if they have ever encountered a stigma at certain ranges due to the belief that the rifle is somehow inherently evil by those who served in our military and take offense at an AKM present at their range.

I'm truly not trying to provoke anything here, just attempting to understand the situation in hindsight.

Thanks!

Yes, a stigma exists that AKs are gangster/evil/commie/terrorist weapons. Ive experienced it with friends and family that wont own them and comment on others who do (in a relatively good natured way).

I kind of agree, but I still like to shoot them and respect what they are.

I'm not sure I read between the lines there Dyjital. Is that a knock on Texas or the AKM? Is owning one in the US in general frowned upon?

I think it's quite the opposite nowadays. The AKM has caught on quite a bit. Sanctions on Russia and importation bans are causing the AK community to panic, demands for all AKM's seem to be on the rise to include the WASR's that everyone once touted as garbage guns. The old Norinco AKM rifles go for well over a grand in many cases, and those were the cheap throw away rifles decades ago; they are now recognized as some of the best AKM examples you can own. Many tactical and defense enthusiasts are flocking to the AKM with companies like Magpul offering more modern western features to the 'outdated commie junk'. Just seems like many of us (including myself) love the design, for many different reasons. The only time I've gotten dirty looks was for shooting an AKM pistol at the range, the concussion, noise, and fireball seems to bother people (especially anti-freedomists)

Hi all,

I was at a range in Texas and brought my AKM to zero in the sights and perceived a vibe of hostility by those present. I wanted to ask the community here if they have ever encountered a stigma at certain ranges due to the belief that the rifle is somehow inherently evil by those who served in our military and take offense at an AKM present at their range.

I'm truly not trying to provoke anything here, just attempting to understand the situation in hindsight.

Thanks!
Texas can be a strange place. Been there many times. Everyone likes me there. That's how I know their f-ed up.

Fudds don't like them. The Fudd owner at Allison Carey Gunworks asked me what the peep sight I wanted was going to be mounted on. I told him an AKM i was building. He grabbed the package from my hand, put it back on the hook and walked away. I said hey, what's that about and he acted like I wasn't even in the store. Ignorant philistine...I have never darkend their lame door since that day.

Fudds don't like them. The Fudd owner at Allison Carey Gunworks asked me what the peep sight I wanted was going to be mounted on. I told him an AKM i was building. He grabbed the package from my hand, put it back on the hook and walked away. I said hey, what's that about and he acted like I wasn't even in the store. Ignorant philistine...I have never darkend their lame door since that day.
...I...hm...well, I see...

I'm not sure I read between the lines there Dyjital. Is that a knock on Texas or the AKM? Is owning one in the US in general frowned upon?

Neither. Nothing to read between.

Simply put there are some different folks down there who love their American class of firearms.

I believe everybody should own one of each. That way, if you have to defend the homeland no matter who's come to play you know how to operate the service rifles of most of the world's militaries between those two platforms and can fight with any pickup no matter who you take it off of.

WOLVERINES! :p

The Fudd thing is a proven fact--look up guys like Jim Zumbo, David Petzal and what's-his-arse Dickless-something-or-other that went Full Fuddtard on the pages of Guns & Ammo and they didn't even wait for the door to open before booting him out through it...

Last Edited:
And I'm asking because I would appreciate your thoughts on hostility towards bringing AMK to a range. No troll here... just an honest question, otherwise why am I here?

Seen it done, think [the practice is] a crock of crap. Old Guard Range Regulars tend to not like anybody new much, particularly when they've already established a clique, and dissing your weapon is just another way to get to you. Oh, man, you shoulda seen the Bubbas around where I shot back in college and their Butthurt when I brought "icky girls" from campus into "their precious He-Man Woman-Haters No Girls Allowed Clubhouse"... and how it only redoubled when my companions would kick their arses up one side and down the other. My ex in particular thought it was great fun to rack up scores that bent them over the bench and made them her b*tches...

Right answer is to just say "whatever, f*** you a**hole, I pay my range fees the same as you do, now kindly leave me alone to my business and go back to minding your own before I file a complaint with management."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR