JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bashing a gun because of it's origin is just plain stupid. Sounds like something the anti's would do, blame the gun for the damage done with it. I don't knock anybody's gun. I may think that it is a cheap POS, but maybe that is all they could afford. Let em enjoy it, it is no skin off my nose.

Last Edited:
Bashing a gun because of it's origin is just plain stupid. Sounds like something the anti's would do, blame the gun for the damage done by it. I don't knock anybody's gun. I may think that it is a cheap POS, but maybe that is all they could afford. Let em enjoy it, it is no skin off my nose.
Not liking a firearm pattern for its origin does have some credibility, to the same extent liking certian rifles for their origin does. The History of a firearm pattern means something, depending on the individual it can mean to much( critisizing someone for owning An ak) and sometimes to little ( drilling into a 1903 springfield to mount a picattany rail then putting an eotech on that rail)
It does come down to the individual
Is a rifle JUST a tool?
Can it represent something more?
Does it have sentimental value?
Could some firearms be classified as more "art" then gun?
Does someones sense of nationalism effect the firearms they buy? Ect
There are a lot of factors

not liking a firearm because of its origin has no merit. How many naysayers own a Glock, Beretta, H&K, Walther, how many drive a Toyota. How many adore the Mosin Nagants...

gun owners should be supporting someone exercising their right.

The AK is the most popular rifle in the world, and for a good reason. Not respecting that as a gun enthusiast is lame and shunning an AK guy at the range for its "stigma" is wrong.

Lol at this thread. If we are going to get into symbolism, the AR pattern rifle is the weapon of choice of ATF JBTs. It's also THE rifle of every last wannabe out there.

Glock pistols are the majority pistol used for systemic minority suppression since about 1990. It is also THE pistol series of every last wannabe out there.

In AR and Glock dominated 'Murica, an AKM and a 1911A1 is the perfect "Will not comply" odd couple of awesomeness.

I have an AK deriviant. I don't shoot it often, but on a couple of occasions I've been asked at the range, "what do you have that for?" A ridiculously rhetorical question. I own it to shoot, and it's one more gun for an easy to find cartridge, when some cartridges could be in short supply. It operates flawlessly and is relatively accurate. So, a feller could own and shoot most any gun, and very little is questioned. But the AK is questioned.

I believe it's important to have a supply of 7.62x39 ammo, and a gun it'll work in. A Mini 30 would be my preference, by a huge margin, but not all Mini's will shoot rooshkie ammo. Not a flaw of the gun, but a design of the gun that the firing pin protrusion is designed for Boxer primers.

So, enter the AK. It will shoot anything!
Um that's a personal negatory on the Mini-30 or Mini14 or mini-anything that's not a mini-gun.. compared to either an AR or a well-made AK but that's just my experience. Like your hat tho- Got a similar but mine says "7th" on it.. Garryowen in Glory!

Hi all,

I was at a range in Texas and brought my AKM to zero in the sights and perceived a vibe of hostility by those present. I wanted to ask the community here if they have ever encountered a stigma at certain ranges due to the belief that the rifle is somehow inherently evil by those who served in our military and take offense at an AKM present at their range.

I'm truly not trying to provoke anything here, just attempting to understand the situation in hindsight.

Thanks!

You've received some good replies on this thread, hope you take then to heart.
Bottom line, you ran into some gun snobs. They are at every club and at every range sooner or later. As long as you follow all the safety rules, they can suck on yer copper washed steel cased nut sack for all you should care.
Not a huge fan of the AK platform, but there are a few here. The wife loves her plow:rolleyes:. The AK is a proven design and I can appreciate that.

As far as the mag question that was asked above? I much prefer the Eastern Com Bloc stuff. Have had no issues with any of the ones I've bought.

Well, I just learned that Browning are a buncha Fudds too. I ask one simple question about their scope-ring focal heights, and they need all kinds of crap about objective lenses etc. when I've already said it's intended for an Aimpoint red-dot and all I need is to know if they have a ring 25mm from rail-top to centerline.

How frickin' hard can it be? Did I get forwarded to a Helldesk in India or something?

I've run into that with them as well. I was doing some research on an old mauser style Browning in .264 that I picked up years back and it was like pulling hen's teeth to get any info from them.
Funny thing though, when we found out everything I was contacted by the Browning museum wanting to purchase the rifle. They were Johnny on the spot then..

John Moses would smack somebody silly if he saw what's been done in his name... and to bring it Full Circle, so would Mikhail Timofeyevich if he saw some Uber-Tactikewl Mall Ninja AK builds.

Not mentioned in the OP is whether or not he was rapid firing or continuous firing thru the whole 20/30 round mag. I'm not against such things, but it can be irritatting when sitting under a covered firing line and the guy next door is blazing away...nicking up the target stands.

Or when throwing brass all over the next few benches.

Honestly, so long as the shooter, and the gun, are no danger to me, I couldn't care less about what you own or shoot. Snobs are in all areas of society - looking down their noses at people that aren't like them. I have no time for idiots like that - whether critical of my guns, my car, my shoes or anything else. If I'm no danger to you, then keep your stuck up nose out of my business.

Good grief, do people honestly not have more important things to worry about? Sure would be nice if supposed 2A supporters actually supported all aspects of gun ownership, not just their preferred guns. o_O

Last Edited:
So All I am reading about in this entire thread is about the AK and who supports it and who doesn't. My question to the OP is this. Are there other ranges in your area? Because if there is that's where I would go. Why be a part of a snob nation range that looks down there nose at you when you bring something that they don't like!

!@#$ that mantality and the people who throw it at you. Life is to dang short and you should enjoy the things that you enjoy. Do them safe and don't be a bother to anyone then go back to that range just to piss them off. The whole problem with today's world is they have gotten accustomed to having things there way and if they don't get it, then they throw a big damn hissy fit or in this case glare at you.

I don't have time in my life for things like that. I go to the range do what I love to do and enjoy my time with friends and to make new ones. Not to be riticuled for my choices in life.

God I dislike snobs!! :s0137:

Well, I just learned that Browning are a buncha Fudds too. I ask one simple question about their scope-ring focal heights, and they need all kinds of crap about objective lenses etc. when I've already said it's intended for an Aimpoint red-dot and all I need is to know if they have a ring 25mm from rail-top to centerline.

How frickin' hard can it be? Did I get forwarded to a Helldesk in India or something?
:eek:
BoyHowdy aint that the unadulterated Truth of our times!?!

Thank you all for your perspective and input. The next time I go to the range I will adhere completely to range safety standards almost to the point of fault, however, zero f&*^s will be given to any judgement upon my presence.

Thank you all.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top