JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are the highest quality AKs you can buy? I want to buy a high quality, reliable, and durable AK47 in 762x39. What do the higher end ones cost? How are the I.O.s that Fishermans and Kieths sell? I do not want any tactical crap on it, just wood stocks...

I am sure if you were to search past threads this topic has been covered many times and what you will find are opinions based on someones limited knowledge.

When I am sitting in front of a computer I will post my opinions as to what I think (I am tired of typing on my iPhone) are from best to worst.

SF-

Link-

Here is my opinion of the quality of AK's based on my 20 years of owning and shooting AK's. Somebody else may have a different opinion and if they state it I may agree or disagree, I am not here trying to sound like an expert nor am I going to get into a wank measuring contest.

1. Bulgarian Arsenal SLR 95. Steyr Hammer cold forged barrel and the Hammer, Trigger and Disconnector are also made by Steyr. The receiver is milled steel and not standard sheet metal (AKM rifles). SLR 95's can be found for around $900 to $1200. The Chinese Polytech Legend is also a machined receiver AK and shares the first place ranking but the prices on these usually start around $1200.00 on up if they have all the right accessories and are in primo condition it would be a hard to swallow justification for a SHTF rifle. For a stamped rifle the Hungarians are the cats meow. These rifles are like their women, lean, beautiful and feel right in your hands. The pre-bans with bayonet lug and FH are in the $1150.00 and up price range. Post-bans can be found for under $900.00. As of todays date there is a member selling one for $850.00. That is a pretty good bargain and kind of fancy for a SHTF rifle.

2. Everything else. The difference between 1st and 2nd place would be a 1.5 second time difference in a race and in my opinion that is about the difference between the rifles in 1st place and 2nd place. To start off with the Chinese MAK-90's are a heck of a good deal and what I would recommend you and your family use for a standard 'battle' rifle. The receivers are thicker and the barrels are a little larger in diameter as they have (in my opinion) cooling fins around the barrel that isn't in contact with the Gas block or front sight post. These rifles have gone up in value and are around $500.00. If it has a slant back at the rear of the receiver you are stuck using a custom stock from Iron Wood or one of the plastic/fiberglass dragunov style stocks made for the AK or the thumb hole stock that it comes with. Negotiate your price down if you come across one of these.

"Kit" built guns are an excellent value if they are done right. Most builders stick to the 922(r) rules of how many American parts have to be in a rifle but there are some home builders who have "forgotten" about those rules when assembling. Kind of hard to screw up an AK build but if they do even an untrained eye of an East African 10 year old boy can spot it.

Under folders look really cool and have there limited role in respects to vehicles but they suck for acquiring a sight picture. You mentioned you were looking for wood stocks so not an issue. If you are looking for a wood stock mind you most are the WARSAW length (about an 1.5" shorter than your American Stock) so make sure you ask before you hand over cash.

3. The only AK that I would recommend you stay away from are the Egyptian Maadi's. Triggers suck and tolerances are are loosely followed when these were built in Egypt. I would take one over a sling shot in a SHTF situation but it is one rifle I will not own. Just my opinion here.

Every country that made AK's had little "improvements" they had implemented on there rifles (Yugo's vs. Chinese vs. Romanians vs. Bulgarians vs. etc. etc...) so take your time and learn what you want. There are a lot of resources to read on the net so enjoy. I get down to Willamina ever so often and if you want I can let you check mine out if you want to take the time to do so.

SF-

Edit: I have no experience with the I.O. AK type rifle so no opinions.

Ide love to check yours out if you are in the area. I was hoping to spend around 600 bucks +/- a hundred or so. I have an AK pistol, so I don't need a folding stock. I was thinking about getting an IO and putting wood stocks on it.

So are all AK 47 parts interchangable? I'm guessing not.

In theory, mostly 'yes'. As long as we are talking about swapping parts between like rifles of the same caliber then things like bolts, carriers, pistons, magazines, furniture, sight blocks should all be basically interchangable, even if the parts are produced decades apart in different countries. You'll still need to check headspace if you sawp bolts, some parts might need minor fitting, etc. Bayonets are a different story though, as there are two styles of gas blocks, early and late, so you have to know what your rifle has before you buy a bayonet. Of course, many parts on a '47 will not fit a '74 like the bolt, barrel, etc. Also, gas pistons from an RPK with a 20" barrel will not fit an SBR AK. Basically, you'd have to use common sense and do a bit of research when you start swapping out parts.

Keith

io ink has heat treated mil spec receivers match grade barrels that are doing 2 inch groups at a 100 yards plus they are 100 % american made !!! great guns contact us if you have any ?s 503-846-1383

I just read an article about these, seem about what you're looking for, strong quality and longer stock (most AK's have short stocks that don't fit most americans very well).

I lucked out and have both a regular stock and an underfolder Yugo AK's from Century that are very, very nice. I bought them before the great gun panic of '09 too!

Good luck.

I just read an article about these, seem about what you're looking for, strong quality and longer stock (most AK's have short stocks that don't fit most americans very well).

I lucked out and have both a regular stock and an underfolder Yugo AK's from Century that are very, very nice. I bought them before the great gun panic of '09 too!

Good luck.

The stocks arent short. American shooters just shoot differently than comblock shooters do. Comblock shooters shoot facing the target and American shooters stand at an angle to the target. Shoot like a comblock soldier and you'll see the difference.

I'm kinda thinking about going for the IO. What ide really like to do is buy 2 or 3. But I want most parts to interchange with my Draco. Just simple field strip parts. I don't plan on using a bayonet.

I'm kinda thinking about going for the IO. What ide really like to do is buy 2 or 3. But I want most parts to interchange with my Draco. Just simple field strip parts. I don't plan on using a bayonet.

Almost all AK parts are interchangeable, the only real parts you would swap would be furniture, top cover, recoil spring, and bolt/carrier (may have headspace issues).

I have an early 80's Romanian- I have been very pleased with it (not a WASR, similar to Romy G). I consider it "Good", or "Decent" Others I would put in the "Good"range (not exceptional, but good)= the Yugo's, and the Hungarian AMD's. Folks I know who have these have been very pleased with fit, function and accuracy. I put the WASR's at the bottom- just to give you range of my personal scale. Oh- and price, I would say these decent AK's should be around $600 give or take $100- guy in salem who posts on this site and the outdoors trader page- AMD's adn Yugos for sub-$500- I would not hesitate on those if I was shopping. Happy Shopping!

This is a huge website/messageboard complex that is an encyclopedia of AK and SKS information, tutorials, photos, texts, builders, and links. It has a big buy/sell section so you can track typical prices for various models. And the whole site is searchable so you can track down specific threads. For anyone with an interest in AKs this is a trememdous resource.........................elsullo :s0155:

I know nothing about the Bulgie Arsenals so I'll skip that. Here's my list

Yugos, great guns

next at a very close distance, Chinese Polytech milled receivers

Chinese Norincos

I have an early 80's Romanian- I have been very pleased with it (not a WASR, similar to Romy G). I consider it "Good", or "Decent" Others I would put in the "Good"range (not exceptional, but good)= the Yugo's, and the Hungarian AMD's. Folks I know who have these have been very pleased with fit, function and accuracy. I put the WASR's at the bottom- just to give you range of my personal scale. Oh- and price, I would say these decent AK's should be around $600 give or take $100- guy in salem who posts on this site and the outdoors trader page- AMD's adn Yugos for sub-$500- I would not hesitate on those if I was shopping. Happy Shopping!

Keep in mind you don't have a Romanian rifle. You have a parts kit rifle built with some Romanian parts. Its not an early 80's gun. Its the skill of the builder that matters.

Same could be said of Yugo guns that arent Mitchell imports. Hungarian AMD's etc.

I own 4 AKs right now and they are the best I have been able to find.
I have a Bulgarian SLR-95, a Preban Norinco 56s, a Preban Nornico 56s-1 (under folder) and a converted Saiga. I have had several kit guns and Mak-90's but the above 4 are the only ones that I have kept. Each is accurate and absolutely reliable and I would trust each to defend myself and my family.

Keep in mind you don't have a Romanian rifle. You have a parts kit rifle built with some Romanian parts. Its not an early 80's gun. Its the skill of the builder that matters.

Same could be said of Yugo guns that arent Mitchell imports. Hungarian AMD's etc.

By Yugos I meant the Yugo built Mitchell Arms guns. BTW Mitchell Arms also imported the best quality Mini 14 mags in the universe, I have two of them and they are better quality than factory Ruger, IMO. I wish I had bought 25 of them

I own 4 AKs right now and they are the best I have been able to find.
I have a Bulgarian SLR-95, a Preban Norinco 56s, a Preban Nornico 56s-1 (under folder) and a converted Saiga. I have had several kit guns and Mak-90's but the above 4 are the only ones that I have kept. Each is accurate and absolutely reliable and I would trust each to defend myself and my family.

I have two stamped 56S and I would bet my life on them for CQC. With a 100 round drum they offer awesome firepower :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top