JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I really don't want to be the one to take this thread beyond page 47 for obvious reasons, It is time to resurrect it. I am soon to be owner of an American made AKM and have been watching a lot of Rob Ski and other AK content lately. I just learned my first interesting cool kid AK term. "Cobra bite". 🤣
Welcome to the fold. The AKM is a bad-arse shiz-kicking rifle. When the zombpocalypse outbreak occurs I'm grabbing my SAM-7R. Oh hellz yeah.

Been into AKs for many years, specifically those made by Arsenal Bulgaria. Today's prices on AKs is getting out of hand so I was glad to get what got at the prices I did. For those that know me I have been putting on a yearly AK Shoot in Eastern WA at which time you will see all the most sought after Aks one could desire.

Been into AKs for many years, specifically those made by Arsenal Bulgaria. Today's prices on AKs is getting out of hand so I was glad to get what got at the prices I did. For those that know me I have been putting on a yearly AK Shoot in Eastern WA at which time you will see all the most sought after Aks one could desire.
Spokanistan? Or somewhere more remote?

Been into AKs for many years, specifically those made by Arsenal Bulgaria. Today's prices on AKs is getting out of hand so I was glad to get what got at the prices I did.
^^^You and me both brother. I'm more of an AR guy these days but I'm sure glad I've got the AKs I've got. I'll never get rid of them. To think I almost did to get NV.

For those that know me I have been putting on a yearly AK Shoot in Eastern WA at which time you will see all the most sought after Aks one could desire.
^^^That is no exaggeration, a truly incredible display.

^^^You and me both brother. I'm more of an AR guy these days but I'm sure glad I've got the AKs I've got. I'll never get rid of them. To think I almost did to get NV.

^^^That is no exaggeration, a truly incredible display.
I sold off a few to acquire NV but they weren't AKs. I have a hard time parting with them, sold off a X95 the other day to acquire another Ace.

Last Edited:
Want purist AK design? Get a stamped type 1 and realize the issues of the type 1 design that made them stick with the type 2 and 3 until the AKM. By the time they adopted the AKM, they solved the issues they had with stamped receivers. The issue was never stamped inherently so much as not having the capability to consistently make a good stamped receiver at the time.

Practically, no real reason to stick to one vs the other except aftermarket support and maybe the small weight difference.
Judging by the experiences reported in A-holistan over the last few years, the AK BARREL is more likely to be shot out smooth-bore long before the receivers fail... Our guys reported a lot of shot out barrels in some of the oldest early-dated AKs captured or confiscated. Food for thought.
FWIW I prefer the AK and have carried Yugos and Chinese (milled and stamped), both excellent firearms for what they are.They arent the be-all/end-all I once believed them to be however. I do like the thicker 1.5 mil of the Yugo receiver, but not a fan of the non-chromed barrels of the Yugos tho.
Mostly due to ammo resupply issues these days I use a couple or so ARs of various make, vintage, and style. Plenty of parts and mags around and fairly easy even for me to work on and provide better, longer range accuracy if not perhaps as hard-hitting as the 7.62.

Last Edited:
Judging by the experiences reported in A-holistan over the last few years, the AK BARREL is more likely to be shot out smooth-bore long before the receivers fail... Our guys reported a lot of shot out barrels in some of the oldest early-dated AKs captured or confiscated. Food for thought.
FWIW I prefer the AK and have carried Yugos and Chinese (milled and stamped), both excellent firearms for what they are.They arent the be-all/end-all I once believed them to be however. I do like the thicker 1.5 mil of the Yugo receiver, but not a fan of the non-chromed barrels of the Yugos tho.
Mostly due to ammo resupply issues these days I use a couple or so ARs of various make, vintage, and style. Plenty of parts and mags around and fairly easy even for me to work on and provide better, longer range accuracy if not perhaps as hard-hitting as the 7.62.
The receiver will see close to 100k rounds and a few barrels before anything happens. The milled receivers develop cracks while stamped receivers stretch.

Aside from the Bulgarians and a few others, vast majority of AK users are using stamped receivers.

Ok.
Onward and upward. Is 5.45 dead? I own 3 rifles , and would definitely love an sbr in same. I know there are plenty of 5.56 ak fans, and I don't disparage their choice. Just that straight wall cartridge thing... not in my AK.
If you own 5.45 you need to stock up on ammo so if a stroke of the pen happens you can shoot for the rest of your life or have enough for a SHTF situation should it ever happen. I used to be into 5.45 but consolidated down and switched to 5.56 AKs 5 or so years ago so they can share ammo with my ARs. No regrets, but I am not you.

I believe that one full auto range in Las Vegas reported that they hadn't noticed any significant issues in their AK receivers after 100k+ rounds most of which was full auto. At least that was according to the buyers guide I was consulting on four channel a few years back.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top