JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember maybe 15 years ago several coworkers were buying AKs, back when they were $300, and ammo was $80 for a case of 1,000 rounds. I don't remember what the cause was, but the cost of ammo jumped all at once to about $120/k. One of the guys was furious. He'd bought that rifle for cheap blasting fun, and dammit, someone owed him some cheap ammo! He said he was going to dump the rifle because of it, but I don't know if he ever did.

He did talk me into selling him a can of Chinese ammo for cheap. I had several sealed cans of the old Chinese surplus, steel core M43 ammo that I'd been hanging onto since the late '80s or early '90s. He kept grousing about the cost of ammo and I felt bad for him so gave him a can (550 rounds) really cheap. I learned my lesson on feeling bad for people. He took my long-hoarded, special ammo out on a Saturday afternoon and burned it all up in one day! On top of that, he didn't clean it right away like I had repeatedly told him, and his rifle rusted, so he was mad about that. Yeah, I learned my lesson well on trying to help people out on stuff like that.

Last Edited:
I remember maybe 15 years ago several coworkers were buying AKs, back when they were $300, and ammo was $80 for a case of 1,000 rounds. I don't remember what the cause was, but the cost of ammo jumped all at once to about $120/k. One of the guys was furious. He'd bought that rifle for cheap blasting fun, and dammit, someone owed him some cheap ammo! He said he was going to dump the rifle because of it, but I don't know if he ever did.

He did talk me into selling him a can of Chinese ammo for cheap. I had several sealed cans of the old Chinese surplus, steel core M43 ammo that I'd been hanging onto since the late '80s or early '90s. He kept grousing about the cost of ammo and I felt bad for him so gave him a can (550 rounds) really cheap. I learned my lesson on feeling bad for people. He took my long-horded, special ammo out on a Saturday afternoon and burned it all up in one day! On top of that, he didn't clean it right away like I had repeatedly told him, and his rifle rusted, so he was mad about that. Yeah, I learned my lesson well on trying to help people out on stuff like that.
Sounds like the kind of "friend" that you do not need.

With the ammo shortage and collectors getting into the AK market, cheap AK blasting is long gone.

Has armscor ever toyed with steel case?
I know steel isn't the key to cheap retail prices (it's labor costs) , but it's a step.
I think it to be a poor way to save money and was most likely, originally driven by a brass shortage. Brass being reloadable, seems a better choice. I do not reload so moot to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top