JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if tape would work for the Russian sling clip.
I think you're stuck with metal on metal.
I'm warming up to those leather tabs on what some call the SKS sling.
Just like an AK sling only with leather tab connectors.

For the collectors, incorrect on a Yugo, but still looks traditional.
Call it Albanian and you are GTG. :)

Pulled this 20210812_170359.jpg

Replacement
20210812_170404.jpg
20210812_170412.jpg

Looks a little better

I just recently bought my first AK. I wouldn't call myself an AR guy but I have three. I'm really a "firearms guy". Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, I shoot what ever I can get my hands on. (I would say revolvers are my favorite, big bore of course).

Anyway, the intention of this thread was to have new AK owners gather information about the rifle. I have to say there is way to much going on to do that. The first few pages is guys arguing about barrels, Chrome lined, Nitride, Melonite???? Some was people just saying what AK they own. That's cool but not very informative. I only got to page 8 then gave up, and the only useful info I found was that when you swap bolts you need to check headspace. There was some other somewhat useful info, but it was more opinion (opinions can sometimes be helpful like what style optics, etc.).

Is it possible to take any technical data and put it in the first post so we don't have to read 40+ pages? It's impossible to sort through the thread.

BTW, I bought a CA VSKA Trooper. Payed way too much but was the only option for a new one at the time, 'tis the market right now, I didn't want to buy a used one. Only put a few hundred rounds through it so far but it shoots great and have had zero malfunctions.

So far, if I were to compare the AK to the AR, I like both equally. There shouldn't be a debate as too which gun, everyone should own both, lol.

I just recently bought my first AK. I wouldn't call myself an AR guy but I have three. I'm really a "firearms guy". Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, I shoot what ever I can get my hands on. (I would say revolvers are my favorite, big bore of course).

Anyway, the intention of this thread was to have new AK owners gather information about the rifle. I have to say there is way to much going on to do that. The first few pages is guys arguing about barrels, Chrome lined, Nitride, Melonite???? Some was people just saying what AK they own. That's cool but not very informative. I only got to page 8 then gave up, and the only useful info I found was that when you swap bolts you need to check headspace. There was some other somewhat useful info, but it was more opinion (opinions can sometimes be helpful like what style optics, etc.).

Is it possible to take any technical data and put it in the first post so we don't have to read 40+ pages? It's impossible to sort through the thread.

BTW, I bought a CA VSKA Trooper. Payed way too much but was the only option for a new one at the time, 'tis the market right now, I didn't want to buy a used one. Only put a few hundred rounds through it so far but it shoots great and have had zero malfunctions.

So far, if I were to compare the AK to the AR, I like both equally. There shouldn't be a debate as too which gun, everyone should own both, lol.
Yes… it could be done because I can change my initial post… I can gather the information and post it there… however, experience in certain things that pertain to the AK can be trivial or subjective… part of the reason why the thread is to have people share their experiences and show what they have in order for people to possibly look at different ways of putting their own AK together etc

Can we have Joe create a separate bucket for AK and the create individual threads. Or do it high level and general questions, building AK and technical questions, pictures, AK gear, ammunition, etc.

Possibly the same for ARs as well.

AK -
General AK discussion
Technical AK questions
AK Pictures
AK furniture
AK Gear
AK ammunition
AK bayonets
Etc.

theakforum.net

akfiles.com

Mo betta with the bakelite !
I can't do AR type furniture on an AK.
this is my ole '89 Chinese Type 56S
from Peoples Factory # 386
1.6mm thick stamped receiver
double hook disconnector
mostly Israeli furniture
run Chinese steel 30 rnd mags
the stock is one of the old FAB shock absorber stocks
and a Texas Weapons dogleg receiver cover
Nikon 4X compact scope
this has been a 30 year work in progress and I prefer it in this configuration for shooting
if I wanted a wall hanger, I have all the original Chinese parts in the closet

20201205_114120.jpg 20201205_114151.jpg 20201205_115635.jpg 20200720_175054.jpg 20201205_114147.jpg

So the thing about showing pics of "look this is my gun" is to give different examples of what can be done. If everyone went out and did silly stuff like adding AR stocks and rails the world would truly suck. Let the ideas flow.

In any case red dyed M92 forend with red dyed M76 grip .

red2.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews