JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm the one who said it and I STAND by it. The main reason that Ak's were and are in most cases chrome lined is for battle situations where cleaning a rifle is not all ways practical.. Berdan primers, especially in surplus ammo from the cold war era, had a higher corrosion rate than newer Berdan primed ammo does. However newer ammo and the nature and Berdan primers in general is STILL corrosive. Try shooting up a couple hundred rounds of modern Berdan primed ammo in even a chrome lined AK and let it sit for a couple weeks. You will be horrified what you find. Salt NEVER sleeps!!!
What individual shoots their rifle with a couple hundred rounds and doesn't clean it? Last I knew every AK I have bought came with an oil bottle unless it was a previously owned one and the seller either lost it or kept it or something. And Nitride also protects against corrosion so at what point is chrome lining better?

@Shootz9mm

But if Nitride helps with corrosion and is inherently more accurate then chrome lining is second because unless you plan on doing full auto and getting into a couple hundred round shootout it's not necessary and an unneeded expense. Originally the Colt M16A2 and other variants were not chrome lined and they worked just fine in combat.

I suppose if you wanted the best of everything then you would want a cold hammer forged, nitrided, button rifled, chrome lined and fluted?!
The M16 was not nitrided or chrome lined initially as a cost cutting measure, but due to corrosion problems that changed and then military production started chrome lining them. I can't speak for current military production, but I would guess they are nitrided.

CHF and nitriding is preferable in my experience.

As for AKs, I think you will find most on the market are chrome lined. I have not kept up with the current production in AKs that are available in the USA, but most of the ones I have seen on the market have been chrome lined.

So if two separate articles and one being from Faxon that makes barrels both say that Nitride and Melonite are more corrosion resistant than why would you want to be less accurate?

What individual shoots their rifle with a couple hundred rounds and doesn't clean it? Last I knew every AK I have bought came with an oil bottle unless it was a previously owned one and the seller either lost it or kept it or something. And Nitride also protects against corrosion so at what point is chrome lining better?
your missing the point. In the heat of battle cleaning a rifle is not allways practical. Chrome lining helps by allowing more time to get to a location where you can. That being said any part of the rifle that is subject to power residue is subject to the affects of salt in the powder/primers. Chrome is just a way to lessen the corrosion in the barrel/gas system.

your missing the point. In the heat of battle cleaning a rifle is not allways practical. Chrome lining helps by allowing more time to get to a location where you can. That being said any part of the rifle that is subject to power residue is subject to the affects of salt in the powder/primers. Chrome is just a way to lessen the corrosion in the barrel/gas system.
I understand about cleaning while under fire is not practical but one: name one time that you would be in a combat situation in the US that you would fire hundreds of rounds and have it corrode? Two: people that ACTUALLY make the barrels, have tested the barrels and have way more knowledge and experience in the aspects of chrome lining vs nitride or melonite have said that the melonited and nitride are more corrosion resistant. I'm going to probably listen to what they say.

The M16 was not nitrided or chrome lined initially as a cost cutting measure, but due to corrosion problems that changed and then military production started chrome lining them. I can't speak for current military production, but I would guess they are nitrided.
Correct, the original Stoner design called for CL bores and chrome BCGs, the military in it's infinite wisdom chose to cut costs w/o CL. Similarly, they used the wrong powder in the ammo. The end results did not work fine in combat.

CHF and nitriding is preferable in my experience.

As for AKs, I think you will find most on the market are chrome lined. I have not kept up with the current production in AKs that are available in the USA, but most of the ones I have seen on the market have been chrome lined.
Nitrite and chrome lined is common for AKs. Just talked to Arms of America and Mossberg is making barrels for them now. They had a bad batch initially but are working out the kinks. Good to see another major US company making AK barrels

I understand about cleaning while under fire is not practical but one: name one time that you would be in a combat situation in the US that you would fire hundreds of rounds and have it corrode? Two: people that ACTUALLY make the barrels, have tested the barrels and have way more knowledge and experience in the aspects of chrome lining vs nitride or melonite have said that the melonited and nitride are more corrosion resistant. I'm going to probably listen to what they say.
Its your THANG do what you want to do! Chrome is, also, superior in high cyclic rate weapons AKA machineguns which is what the AK was designed to be! Even Faxon knows that!

Last Edited:
Again just opinion and I haven't ever been in combat. The problem is you have to train to be effective and it may take a lot of rounds to get there. If you shoot out the barrel before combat...well you understand what I am saying.

The problem with nitrite is people act like it is some secret sauce that turns crap barrels into great barrels, it does not. It is just cheaper and easier method. Both are fine if done right, both suck if not done right. FN has CL down and their barrel will outshoot and out last pretty much any nitrite counterpart out there. Also, I would challenge anyone to produce a single reputable machinegun manufacturer that uses nitrite barrels, there a clue in there somewhere. Bottom line, its all about the Benjamin's.

RULE#1 While perfectly acceptable for AR-tards referring to their "platform", don't ever refer to it as the "AK platform". <----Intended humor for those that get offended easily.
I know it killed me saying it but I had to make it understandable for those not accustomed to the AK… couldn't tell you how many times if went shooting and had someone complain about the cheek slap or the impulse… I said stop shooting it like an AR and you will get it.

Again just opinion and I haven't ever been in combat. The problem is you have to train to be effective and it may take a lot of rounds to get there. If you shoot out the barrel before combat...well you understand what I am saying.
Not many people have the financing or ability to shoot out a barrel… average of 20k of rounds and if shooting out the barrel means it doesn't work or anything that makes it less desirable or horrible in combat then I guess the kids in the Middle East and Africa are crack shots and we should all take lessons from them? Lol
:D :s0114:

Not many people have the financing or ability to shoot out a barrel… average of 20k of rounds and if shooting out the barrel means it doesn't work or anything that makes it less desirable or horrible in combat then I guess the kids in the Middle East and Africa are crack shots and we should all take lessons from them? Lol
:D :s0114:
I never argue because it leads to a point people don't share opinions and I really like reading opinions. My opinion is there are a lot of factors the man and the platform he chooses. Years ago you could buy AK ammo for $2 for 20 rounds so it didn't cost a lot to shoot a lot. However the guy that buys that older gun that had a lot of rounds shot through it may think he got a good deal but did he?

How many guys that can only afford a less expensive gun would even know its about to fail?

I like the AK in some variants like the Galil or R4 and have no problem with the other models. Men choose what they like and can afford, that makes America great. :)

I never argue because it leads to a point people don't share opinions and I really like reading opinions. My opinion is there are a lot of factors the man and the platform he chooses. Years ago you could buy AK ammo for $2 for 20 rounds so it didn't cost a lot to shoot a lot. However the guy that buys that older gun that had a lot of rounds shot through it may think he got a good deal but did he?

How many guys that can only afford a less expensive gun would even know its about to fail?

I like the AK in some variants like the Galil or R4 and have no problem with the other models. Men choose what they like and can afford, that makes America great. :)
Bro it's all good! Just giving new people different things to digest and I just love AK's. Not opposed to CL, Nitride, CHF, etc if it was for the best barrel then they would use stainless steel 300 instead of 416 and nitride, CHF, CL and button rifle that thing! Truthfully it be awesome to see one made from CI powdered metal but hey we can all dream? lol

I have owned a few AKs in the past and spent a fair amount of time on the range with them. Never got deep into them as no matter how much I shot them I found guns I liked better. The true driving force of ownership was cheap ammo and magazines. Those were great times at the range when shooting was cheap.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews