Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ak chest rigs??

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by bennyl, Aug 16, 2015.

1. bennyl

bennyl portland Active Member

Does anyone know a quality brand chest rig that I can use for my akm? I mainly use 20 rounders because that's just what I prefer. Not looking for a rig that has a plate insert. Just mainly to hold my mags. Anyone has any suggestions?

2. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

How many mags are you looking to hold? Whats your budget?

Fwiw - I have a Tactical Tailor MAV and a 3 mag rifle pouch. Also added two pistol mags to the front. The MAV is just a cumberbund of PALS webbing you configure how you want. Its not a plate carrier but does have a map pouch behind the pals.

You can put any make of pouches that use molle attachment - tac tailor makes singles doubles and triple carriers for rifle mags and a whole slew of other pouches and combos.

SOE also makes good stuff and all their gear - per the owner is designed around AK mags because if its made for ak it works for ar but not necessarily the other way around. They make a compact chest rig that has 2 or 3 rifle mags plus pistol mags and iirc a med kit pouch.

If that isnt quite in your budget - Condor has some rigs that might work for you. Not as rugged but if this isnt meant as a go to war rig the condor should be fine.

bennyl likes this.
  3. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

I was going by an interview done with him a few months ago by students of the gun homeroom on youtube. He stated they build all their gear with aks in mind as opposed to ars for the reason that ak pouches will always fit ar mags but it doesnt work the other way around. Maybe he meant all their newer designs or redesigns. Good stuff either way. Still debating on getting one of his belts even tho my Wilderness has never let me down.

bennyl likes this.
  4. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

Save up for a chicom mil chest rig. Possibly the most comfortable one around.

bennyl likes this.
  5. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

Tactical tailor in Lakewood is an excellent choice. You can order online as well.
    There is also Grey Ghost Gear. Their company is based in Idaho but they have a retail shop in Auburn, Wa.
    Again you can orde online. They make quality gear.

bennyl likes this.
  6. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Shaddox Tactical in Cornelius Oregon makes some excellent rigs, try them out, he has a lot of fabric and colors to choose from, I got a rig and last stand belt made form him in digital camo, they held up nicely in rain and snow.

http://www.shaddoxtactical.com/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    bennyl likes this.
  7. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

US Palm AK Attack Rack. Version 1 with NO body armor insert. Room for more 20rd mags.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    boxer13 and bennyl like this.
  8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Maybe duct tape one magazine to the other.. and move this to the proper forum?

blackadder likes this.
  9. bennyl

You can suggest the proper forum even though it was posted a week ago. I'm not a "well known member" so I don't know everything on here. Also if I did that and took off the duct tape when I'm not using it, I'd have to clean off the adhesive everytime. Also I wouldn't want to duct tape 6 mags together. It would make me look like sketchy people who are starting wildfires and shutting down blm shooting areas. Or the reason why the entire SW/SE Portland is covered in smoke.

blackadder likes this.
  10. bennyl

That's true.

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

So if a tactical vest is called a 'shoot me first ' vest is this the ' snipe that fool in the head NOW' rig?
    i don't understand what the rig is for. Why put something on that will draw the most fire on ones self?

12. bennyl

Explain your logic? I'm in not in a warzone. How will i be targetted by wearing a rig? I just prefer wearing a vest instead of carrying a duffle bag or stuffing bubblegum in my carhartts when I'm out in the boonies. Sorry if your family was hunted down by armed wildlife. Don't know what to tell you sir.

Sgt Nambu and blackadder like this.
  13. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Save up? I paid $10 for mine...added a few fastex buckles and been using it for years....

image.jpg

bennyl likes this.
  14. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

I know. I was being a smart bubblegum. Most people seem to think they need to spend big money on an ak chest rig when I really do believe the cheap chicom rig is the boss.

15. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

:p

My sarcasm meter was broken....LOL

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings but WTF would you want to run around with a bunch of mags on a vest if you aren't in a fire fight?
    That's all I'm asking
    And if you need it to wear to a class....well

17. JVK

JVK West Active Member

18. bennyl

Preparing for a possible "firefight." Chances are it'll never happen, but rather be safe than sorry.