JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Book a charter. Get a feel for it and see if you even really like fishing. As far as good spots? Pretty hard pressed for fellas to give up their favorites to family, let alone on the internet. ;)

No.
For that, I'd go 9'-10' and 7wt or 8wt single-handed

I'm talking about steelhead on large western rivers.
The 13'-14' two-handed spey rod is the rule.
I can get by with my six weight for that stuff.

I guess two handed spey is the only way to get across the D near maupin.

I can get by with my six weight for that stuff.

I guess two handed spey is the only way to get across the D near maupin.
No.
I was commenting on a bass/steelhead "multifunctional" type rod.
I would consider the Maupin area "small water" where the single-handed would be fine.

Sorry OP about the massive hijack.

No.
I was commenting on a bass/steelhead "multifunctional" type rod.
I would consider the Maupin area "small water" where the single-handed would be fine.

Sorry OP about the massive hijack.
Where are you talking then?

I prefer small waters anyway, I'm sure the guy at the shop will help me decide too.
That reminds me!
If you want to learn how to catch big fish in big rivers, start with similar techniques for small fish in small waters.

I'm chalking up our thread drift to useful information relevant to the subject.

I'm talking about steelhead on large western rivers.

Define "large"...

My salmon fishing nickname would be 'The Skunk' :D

Oh man, you musta been fishing for Springers... nobody gets skunked on fall chinook, they are too easy. Uhm, unless the fish aren't there. Doing the things that @No_Regerts suggested works... just gotta have fish in the water. OR - I fished the Little Suisitna near Wasilla twice in years when it got hot in June and the rivers silted up from the melt... only bite was skeeters!!

So for instance, a tournament rig might cast across but it would be of no use as far as fishing effectively.

Color me baffled!!!

3d-illustration-of-a-confused-emoticon-BMA0K1.jpg

OK, you cast across this large river with your tournament rig.
All the girls are very impressed. They want you.
Now you have to somehow get the chicks away and fish it effectively without almost all your line in the water producing a massive downstream loop.

I have the answer !
A twenty foot long rod !

That should drive them away. Now the one's that it doesn't?

Ehhhh.........

:s0170:

OK, you cast across this large river with your tournament rig.
All the girls are very impressed. They want you.
Now you have to somehow get the chicks away and fish it effectively without almost all your line in the water producing a massive downstream loop.

I have the answer !
A twenty foot long rod !
Ya also have to use a comet tied on a 6" tube and walk it through the run, because there is no way you can keep that cast up all day. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top