JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I learned to work with frogs while doing a Senior project in college. You might need to add these to your kit:

pith.jpg

probe.jpg

I grew up a "gigger" and had an absolute blast. First exposure was a farm creek across the street from our neighbor hood where we would catch pollywogs. One day we saw our first Bull and it was on. Dad bought some gigs and we went giggin'. Frying in butter was what we did until my mom suggested Shake-N-Bake, which could be where "tastes just like chicken" came from LOL. I even got my cooking merit badge by cooking frog legs caught in a pond near one of our camp outs.

How ever you decide to rig yourself up, go do it you'll have a blast.

Iirc frogs also breath thru their skin, make certain you get them from a clean water source....
Frogs have lungs. They also absorb oxygen directly through their skins, and there are lots of capillaries and blood vessels beneath the skin, just as there are beneath the oxygen absorbing tissues in our lungs. But absorbing oxygen through their skin is only sufficient when there is plenty of oxygen in the water or the frog is inactive, such as when hybernating in winter. Frogs and other amphibians tend to absorb pollutants and chemical contaminants through their delicate skins. This makes amphibians the canaries in the coal mine when it comes to evaluating pollution. I recall reading a summary on the effects of Roundup on frogs. When Roundup is sprayed on fields at ordinary concentrations, it kills about 98% or more of the frogs in the ditches and waters receiving the runoff from the fields. Summary of many studies, many areas of the country, tracking the populations of different species of frogs. Didn't matter which frog species. Roundup killed nearly all of them. Interestingly, it isn't the glyphosate in the roundup that kills the frogs. Its one of the so-called "inactive" ingredients, a soapy substance used to make the Roundup stick to the plants. The summary was in a book titled The Truth About Organic Gardening.
www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Organic-Gardening-Drawbacks/dp/0881928623/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=1346902316629631&hvadid=84181635127799&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=108434&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-84181755980429%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=15114_13520902&keywords=the+truth+about+organic
This book looks at organic practices on a case by case basis. (And finds that the results are mixed. Usually organic practices are less harmful to human health or the environment than conventional practices. But not always.)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR