JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folks..Somewhat of a saltwater fishing newbie here that could benefit from your sage wisdom... I enjoy perch fishing from the Oregon & Washington beaches, but I have struggled with dealing with the ultra-fine sand that seems to creep into my reels every time. After a couple of times out, even after giving the reels a fresh water post fishing soak, they are a 'grind' to use (if even usable).

Now granted... I am using cheap fresh water reels. But before I invest in salt water reels (which are much more expensive!!), I'd like to be sure that they are the solution, and not prone to the same sand problem (again, I think the problem is the fine sand, not the salt).

From those of you that do this type of shore fishing.... What is your reel strategy? Do you buy cheap reels and rip them apart to soak/clean after every use? Do more expensive salt water reels keep the sand out better that make it worth the added investment? Any reels to recommend? Thanks much!

I have a penn battle II, and i don't have any issues with it. Just keep it off the sand and clean it occasionally. I bet the salt hurts your reels more than the sand flying by.

I also have never had an issue with sand getting into my reels while beach fishing, maybe I have just been lucky, I am not sure. I tend to use an Abu Garcia baitcaster for that type of fishing.

Well if it is truly sand causing the malady, it is an easy fix. Don't lay your reel in the sand! If it is just the corrosive salt water environment, there are many reels that are purpose built for those environs, including the penn reels. A product like salt away diluted and dispensed from a spray bottle can pay dividends as well. Give it a quick fresh water rinse followed by spraying salt away on all external surfaces. Let it sit 10 minutes and the rinse it back off with fresh water. Also breaking it down and cleaning and re-lubing it at least once per year will keep it in top form! Good luck and tight lines.

Well if it is truly sand causing the malady, it is an easy fix. Don't lay your reel in the sand! If it is just the corrosive salt water environment, there are many reels that are purpose built for those environs, including the penn reels. A product like salt away diluted and dispensed from a spray bottle can pay dividends as well. Give it a quick fresh water rinse followed by spraying salt away on all external surfaces. Let it sit 10 minutes and the rinse it back off with fresh water. Also breaking it down and cleaning and re-lubing it at least once per year will keep it in top form! Good luck and tight lines.
I used slip 2000 EWG last time I cleaned my reel, it's smooth.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top