JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Boy, I can't help you one bit! Maybe? Check the regs on some local streams/creeks and see if cutthroat is open yet. I'm pretty sure they open some coastal stream to cutthroat for keeping. Pick up a couple/three weighted streamer/leech flies and look for some rocky banks areas on the Willamette. That's all I've got. If it weren't fly gear I'd suggest tossing some small spinners, grubs, while walking the bank of the Willamette.

Boy, I can't help you one bit! Maybe? Check the regs on some local streams/creeks and see if cutthroat is open yet. I'm pretty sure they open some coastal stream to cutthroat for keeping. Pick up a couple/three weighted streamer/leech flies and look for some rocky banks areas on the Willamette. That's all I've got. If it weren't fly gear I'd suggest tossing some small spinners, grubs, while walking the bank of the Willamette.

I have a river in mind to fish. Hopefully it wont be packed with anglers.

I have a 5wt fly pole and a handful of flies and have only been out a couple of times. I have an idea of where to go but can always use some good advice

Funny, or stoopid/blind on my part. I didn't even relate to you saying you were going up near Detroit! DERP. If you're into going that far I believe the Brietenbush river opens for trout? There's probably some small wild cutts in there that would be real fun to play with, if they let you? Lots of bank access it looks like.

I have a 5wt fly pole and a handful of flies and have only been out a couple of times. I have an idea of where to go but can always use some good advice

I'm not sure how close you are to Detroit OR and I don't know much about fly fishing how to or tips, but I stayed at a friends cabin in detroit OR and i think we drove to the santiam river. It was a drive and they didn't catch anything. Second day us girls went shopping in sisters and they went to a river south of clear lake. They took the whole day but did really well there. Im not sure what river, I'll ask them if that's in your area..

They stock that river, so it depends on when they did that last. You can check ODFW for the stocking achedule.
I would carry a lot of caddis pupae and elk hair in a couple colors and sizes. Size 12-16 should be fine. There are probably PED's and PMD's. There might even still be some large yellow stoneflies, so bring a couple incase you see any. There won't be many, but the fish will eat them if they're there. I know high elevation streams are just getting their hatch.
Look for tail outs and riffles, that's where most fish will be.

They stock that river, so it depends on when they did that last. You can check ODFW for the stocking achedule.
I would carry a lot of caddis pupae and elk hair in a couple colors and sizes. Size 12-16 should be fine. There are probably PED's and PMD's. There might even still be some large yellow stoneflies, so bring a couple incase you see any. There won't be many, but the fish will eat them if they're there. I know high elevation streams are just getting their hatch.
Look for tail outs and riffles, that's where most fish will be.

This right here - I used to have a place there, but the Santiam is a nice peaceful place to toss some bugs. There are a few spots with easy access, right past town take a right - I think it is Blowout Rd. You can park by the bridge and check out that water, or just go a little farther and find a pullout. Some areas provide easier access than others, depends how bad you want it ;) They used to stock it up above that area, on some random road with a bridge (I know not very helpful) There is also a few campgrounds if you go farther, towards Sisters, and IIRC a restaurant that's on the river. And the water is easier to get too up there.

ETA: Have fun, wish I could go! I'll get out next week, I hope. :(

Awwwww, just go over the top and fish the Metolius or Crooked River. :p;)
I love the Crooked, fishing there is just awe inspiring. That canyon is awesome, and so are the fish! I don't even mind the white fish mixed in with some red bands! Crap - road trip!

I love the Crooked, fishing there is just awe inspiring. That canyon is awesome, and so are the fish! I don't even mind the white fish mixed in with some red bands! Crap - road trip!

I know it's not the same thing, but I love floating the Snake from Hells Canyon dam, or cruising the Owyhee.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top