JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys, had a quick question, I have a 5 gallon bucket of factory once fired brass that I have shot and was trying to decide what to do with it, I don't have any loading equipment and really don't have the time. So if I decide to sell it what would b e a fair price, there is about 2000 or so 9mm maybe about 600 or so 223/556, 45 and 40(not sure how much) just trying to see what my options are

B9566804-E911-4419-89B8-4E7BA138E341-60342-00000BAAB9F831B7_zps5c0d2aac.jpg

Separate, inspect, count em and offer them for whatever price you find fair. If you ask scalper prices you might have a long wait like a few here are finding out. Maybe offer to trade some for other items you need. I use what I can, offer up some that I don't use and scrap the rest. Good luck.

Any brass that I don't reload just goes in a gallon milk carton. When they are full I sell them to a local recycler for $9 or $10 a jug and he takes it to the big city and doubles it depending on the market. I looked into sorting it to sell for reloading and it just wasn't worth the effort.

thanks, I didn't really sort the quality but did count the 9mm and 223, got 1840 of 9mm and only 600 223, maybe I will see if a guy I know is interested, i just don't really see him much

I can't help you with the long gun brass.
In my experience, and what I will pay for brass.....

The 9mm is worth $25-$35 per K.
.40 is worth $30 -$40 per K.
.45 is worth $50-$60 per K.
.38 special is worth $40-$50 per K.
Large bore stuff .44, .45 Colt etc., goes for substantially more in my limited experience. For some reason .357, even though it's barely longer than .38 special, goes for more than you'd think. Usually the brass would be cleaned and NOT sized/deprimed. I wouldn't mind paying those prices for uncleaned brass as long as it wasn't from a rock pit range and all muddy/filthy.

You may get a little more per K if the buyer wants only 500, or smaller. Through all the mess after Dec 14 I've still found sellers that sell at the pre 14th price, good people, and ignored the gougers selling at double the price.
YMMV.

Mike

What you have at this moment, if you still have the brass, is xxpounds of yellow brass. Unclean, unprocessed brass is really just yellow brass, market value at a recycle metals ctr around $2/#. Sorted brass has reloading value. The typical 5 gal bucket full, wtgs. from 50-65# depending on caliber composition. A bucketfull of 9mm would be 60+ pounds at 100-105rds/# this worth between $120->$180, if you find a willing buyer. Berdan primed brass, cracked, severly dented or crushed returns brass back to scrap. just my .o2c's worth.

Scrap the .40 S&W no one will buy it. You may even have a hard time giving it away! The prices that Mikej quoted you are more then fair and I would say you won't have a very hard time selling the brass at those prices.

Scrap the .40 S&W no one will buy it. You may even have a hard time giving it away! The prices that Mikej quoted you are more then fair and I would say you won't have a very hard time selling the brass at those prices.

No one will buy .40? Explain please. I buy .40, it's the only handgun brass I've had split so far so I figure that's what I'll need the most of.

No one will buy .40? Explain please. I buy .40, it's the only handgun brass I've had split so far so I figure that's what I'll need the most of.

With all the LE Dept's using .40 most ranges are ankle deep in the stuff. Why nobody buys? Probably because they can sweep up all they want at a range. Ditto for 9mm although .40 is overtaking it.

OK Deadshot...... That's why more than $35.00 for a K is too much I 'spose. Funny, I bought my first K of .40 from a member that had a LE buddy. I didn't have access to a range at the time so I was more than good with that. Now 9mm, Wifey and I shot a bunch of that when we first got into this, this aaa, "Hobby" so I have three or so K that just she and I shot up to load from, plus some range pick up.

Mike

Exactly, I have over 2,500 .40 S&W cleaned, deprimed, resized, and have taken it from one website to the next trying to sell it for $.04/case and not a single hit but hundreds of views. I've even offered to take trades and still no hits. The worse part is the closest scrap yard here only pays like $1.20/pound for brass the other one pays $.94/pound. I could scrap it and get like $27 for it, or see if they'd trade me for lead to cast but..... Yeah .40 S&W is a pain.

Sort the pistol by caliber and sell it at mikej's prices but for many (like me) some want only 1 x military rifle brass in 5.56 or 7.62 NATO.. if that is what you have in 5.56 (Prefer LC headstamp) I'll buy it at a fair price

If you ever wanna give any .40 brass away I'll take it! No sense hanving it go to waste! Unfortunately I have enough right now that I'm not looking to buy.

Or you could put the lot up for $10/pound. Many people here shoot all those calibers.

I would have to say that's a little high of a guess. At $10 a lb you're looking at paying around $130 for 1k of .45 brass. Taking into account that these are unsorted and not cleaned I'd say somewhere around $3 or $4 max per pound. If you take the time to at least sort, and if you have the equipment to clean, you stand to get a bit more. (prices listed per k above are reasonably accurate)

I would have to say that's a little high of a guess. At $10 a lb you're looking at paying around $130 for 1k of .45 brass. Taking into account that these are unsorted and not cleaned I'd say somewhere around $3 or $4 max per pound. If you take the time to at least sort, and if you have the equipment to clean, you stand to get a bit more. (prices listed per k above are reasonably accurate)

$10/lb is really high. Especially considering that my local range sells it for $4/lb which is about twice what the recyclers give for it.

Even with shooters like me that pick up all their own brass and "offer to sweep up for others", they still have a barrel or two sitting around in all the popular calibers.:s0155:

Maybe it's time they opened up a "shipping department" and took orders. Three lot sizes. Small Flat Rate Box, Medium F/R box, and large F/R box and each filled with all the brass it can hold. Pay for the "weight" and postage.

Yeah it's high, but it's kind of a "cut bait or fish" statement. Buyers will quickly come back with what is fair once he posts it in the WTS/WTT section. Reading the OP's post, it's pretty clear he doesn't want to sort or clean it.

I can't help you with the long gun brass.
In my experience, and what I will pay for brass.....

The 9mm is worth $25-$35 per K.
.40 is worth $30 -$40 per K.
.45 is worth $50-$60 per K.
.38 special is worth $40-$50 per K.
Large bore stuff .44, .45 Colt etc., goes for substantially more in my limited experience. For some reason .357, even though it's barely longer than .38 special, goes for more than you'd think. Usually the brass would be cleaned and NOT sized/deprimed. I wouldn't mind paying those prices for uncleaned brass as long as it wasn't from a rock pit range and all muddy/filthy.

You may get a little more per K if the buyer wants only 500, or smaller. Through all the mess after Dec 14 I've still found sellers that sell at the pre 14th price, good people, and ignored the gougers selling at double the price.
YMMV.

Mike

I sell all the brass I can pick up. Mostly .380, 9mm,40 cal, and 45acp-plus .223. It takes me a year or more to pick up enough larger rifle calibers to offer for sale. I also have some odd lots of pistol calibers that I don't have enough to offer for sale -yet. I sell mostly on another forum, and sell mostly during late winter when most of us have more time to spend at the reloading bench due to nasty weather outside and closed hunting seasons. I package it up in small flat rate postal boxes and charge $6.00 for shipping, though on occasion I get asked about selling larger amounts.

Not sure how to go about selling brass on this site yet--just joined.

cybin

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads