JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a good question, although it cannot be asked in the manner it was without sparking controversy; especially not here, where far less provocative hypothetical's have gotten worked into a tizzy.
Notwithstanding a lot of what has been said so far, I know from experience that if I'm in a position to help others, I will, even to my own detriment. I, in hindsight, have wished I hadn't, and that I wouldn't in the future, but there have been more than a few 'golden moments' where I have risked my own well being for others. I was actually shot (with pepper spray filled rounds, not bullets mind you) helping a complete stranger who had fallen in his attempt to escape the same assault. It's a long story I will not elaborate on, except to say that in the heat of the moment, and in more examples than this, I've helped others without thinking. I really want to stress that I wish I had more control because it is indeed true that no good deed goes unpunished! But somehow it's in my hard-wiring, and in the most practical sense, I think that is something that should be appropriately weighed (i.e. realistic self-assessment about your gut reaction in the heat of the moment, past behavior being the best indicator of future behavior) in thinking about what one would do.
For what it's worth.

Last Edited:
I made a reply to this last month, mainly I took the primary position to save my loved ones. I've had a lot of self defense and combat training all with handguns, weeks and weeks and weeks. One of my trainers is now at Gunsite. I can shoot reasonably accurate at fifty yards and perhaps
reach out a bit further if need be with my Kimber 45, and I am deadly at closer ranges. And as an LE Officer in the past have proven it three times, I don't consider myself a coward or a hero, nor do I consider myself selfish or lack compassion. The "right thing to do" may be to find the exit and take as many people with you as can protect. The right thing may also be to kill the bad guy. So many scenarios. So many what ifs. When you go into the mall, ten feet inside know where the closest exit is. Know where the marble fountain is. Pay attention, as you walk along with your wife or kids watch the people and know which ones look different, always look for the place to take cover, In a restaurant always sit facing the door. Practice everywhere.
Rule 1 Don't be stupid.
Rule 2 "Officer I was in fear for my life and the lives of these other people"
Rule 3 "Officer, I love and respect you guys and the job you do. A need to speak to a Lawyer
before making any further statements.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR