JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have they named his replacement yet?
As long as tj2r Gov'ness has Zero say in that prosess, it should be good. Cant wait to meet the new Sheriff!
i dont know his name. a friend of mine whos worked at marion co public works says hes known the guy (that is allegedly taking sheriff meyers place)for over 20 years. says hes a good, pro gun guy

The USCG was department of transportation it is DHS now and I don't know the structure of DHS. One thing I disliked about the Coast Guard while I was in was that we never seemed to know if we were a military or civilian service.

Semper Paratus
You have to go out. You don't have to come back.

Sort of. No one really wants to see how that would play out in the end.

The Feds stepped in in several states during the Civil Rights problems. Often a County Sheriff was not really all in on law enforcement. If it gets bad enough Feds step in and take over. This county had a Sheriff end up in Federal Prison. So any Sheriff who thinks they are going to give the middle finger to the Feds, well I can already promise them it will not end well for them.
Far more important to remember is this is an elected office. This is another place gun owners can look in the mirror when they don't like the way things are going. Gun owners by large numbers decide to not get involved in the election, so they end up electing the one who wins.

For some reason this made me think of all those X-Files episodes where any number of local police, sheriffs, MP's, and tribal cops told Mulder and Scully to get the bubblegum off their lawn
I actually never watched The X-Files (I know, shame on me), but it makes me a little nutty when TV shows and movies portray the Feebs as being the ultimate authoritarian law-enforcement entity and pushing-out the local sheriff.
In some states, where sheriffs are appointed (I don't know which ones, but there are some) they are beholden to the Guv or AG, depending on who appointed them... useless except as a figurehead like a police chief. Utterly unaccountable to anyone but the Grand Poobah that put them there... kinda like the director of the FBI... ?

Elected county sheriffs that run a "full service" department (deputies, jails, etc) are the PENULTIMATE last word within their jurisdiction. Period. End of debate.

That's real heady 10A stuff and the reason that municipalities can get away with "sanctuary" (illegal alien) non-enforcement and an amenable sheriff can force federal ICE and Border Patrol officers to stand down from enforcing federal law within their jurisdiction... feds and state LE agencies can be (and have been) stripped of their authority.

It can be a pretty thorny situation... I agree with the ones I agree with... the rest are full of crap.

Mic drop/

This reminds me of a conversation I had with an ATF investigator during my licensing interview. We went through a ton of different "what ifs" and how I was supposed to handle them. On someone bringing in an illegal gun, at least one I would be held criminally liable if I didn't report it immediately (defaced serial number) and the rest I wouldn't but I still better do so (e.g., unregistered NFA items, etc.).

I asked him what agency I should contact and he replied something to the effect of "The local police here in town. But they'll automatically kick it to OSP and the officer who comes to your office will be a state trooper. And if it is an NFA violation, the Portland ATF office will get involved, and will send out a Special Agent."

I was a little surprised it wasn't the Sheriff's Department, but that is what he told me. Is he correct? No idea, but that is what I was told.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with an ATF investigator during my licensing interview. We went through a ton of different "what ifs" and how I was supposed to handle them. On someone bringing in an illegal gun, at least one I would be held criminally liable if I didn't report it immediately (defaced serial number) and the rest I wouldn't but I still better do so (e.g., unregistered NFA items, etc.).

I asked him what agency I should contact and he replied something to the effect of "The local police here in town. But they'll automatically kick it to OSP and the officer who comes to your office will be a state trooper. And if it is an NFA violation, the Portland ATF office will get involved, and will send out a Special Agent."

I was a little surprised it wasn't the Sheriff's Department, but that is what he told me. Is he correct? No idea, but that is what I was told.

My thought here would be OryGun uses the O.S.P. to handle firearms transactions, so tjey would be the most able to handle things!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top