JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im personally not hating on sportsmans, they were first to sound the crazy alarm. Anyway logic says the larger corporate gun sellers would just cancel purchases (if necessary) at the cut off. better for customers than having that money in gun limbo in my opinion.
I'm gonna tell my Sportsman's story for just a bit here..may help others considering a purchase from them.

Here's the short..err maybe long of it. Three months ago, I purchased a shotgun online from them to deliver to the Salem store. On the day it was due (about 7 days after ordering), it arrived. I went down to the store, did a CHL BGC, got insta approved, and went home..great. At the time I was a bit surprised at the younger employees complete lack of customer service skills (like eye contact)..but I figured meh..things have changed, I'm just cranky old now.

There's a reason I went to Sportsman's in the first place, my former go-to LGS wouldn't respond to multiple requests to do a FFL transfer from Gunbroker/on-line and another LGS wasn't very CS oriented either. Remember..this is before 114.

Fast forward to Measure 114. After it passed on the 8th, I went back online and ordered a Ruger 10/22 from Sportsman's. It was also to be shipped to the store..due on the 22nd. The 22nd came with no notification. I figured things were busy so I waited..another three days..still no notification email. I contacted customer service. They responded with..Measure 114, the stores are busy, sorry, blah blah, it's not processed, don't go to the store till it's processed..you'll be notified...blah blah. I'm trying to be patient..so I waited.

I waited another three days..still no email so I responded back to customer service. Admittedly a little hot by now. They responded this time with a receipt showing the gun actually was delivered to the store on the 14th..8 days earlier than promised, and now 21 days from my 2nd contact. Again they said you'll be notified when it's ready..I never was.

I then went down to the Store (now on the 29th) around 6 pm to push the issue. My number was 135 down. I sat in a lawn chair for a bit over an hour and watched three people get wrung up. An older guy working the counter was the only one hustling. The two younger kids (early 20's), were moving like molasses and bubbleguming half the time. Knowing I'd never make it by 10, I left.

The next day I called customer service, explained it all again, and canceled the order. They refunded the amount and I went that day to another local store and started the process again on another Ruger. It took 8 days to have it ordered, bcg done and I picked it up today. That store dropped the ball on another issue but I won't go into detail on that. Suffice to say I'm pretty down on gun stores now..glad I'm pretty much complete.

Last Edited:
Since sportsmans is backing and joining the lawsuit I think they have other ideas. They will have real numbers on how many people are effected by this and have customers info to call and see if they want to join a class action lawsuit. When playing this game it's best to think 4 steps a head vs what needs to happen by the cut off date. They have a whole team of lawyers I am sure they have something brewing.
There is a que that will suddenly stand still, so it's not to help them count but with better numbers... piss a couple people off and maybe people will feel the sting a little more.
Stay positive

I'm gonna tell my Sportsman's story for just a bit here..may help others considering a purchase from them.

Here's the short..err maybe long of it. Three months ago, I purchased a shotgun online from them to deliver to the Salem store. On the day it was due (about 7 days after ordering), it arrived. I went down to the store, did a CHL BGC, got insta approved, and went home..great. At the time I was a bit surprised at the younger employees complete lack of customer service skills (like eye contact)..but I figured meh..things have changed, I'm just cranky old now.

There's a reason I went to Sportsman's in the first place, Guncrafter's (my former go-to dealer) wouldn't respond to multiple requests to do a FFL transfer from Gunbroker....fudds, and Tick Licker wasn''t too keen to have my business either.

Fast forward to Measure 114. After it passed on the 8th, I went back online and ordered a Ruger 10/22 from Sportsman's. It was also to be shipped to the store..due on the 22nd. The 22nd came with no notification. I figured things were busy so I waited..another three days..still no notification email. I contacted customer service. They responded with..Measure 114, the stores are busy, sorry, blah blah, it's not processed, don't go to the store till it's processed..you'll be notified...blah blah. I'm trying to be patient..so I waited.

I waited another three days..still no email so I responded back to customer service. Admittedly a little hot by now. They responded this time with a receipt showing the gun actually was delivered to the store on the 14th..8 days earlier than promised, and now 21 days from my 2nd contact. Again they said you'll be notified when it's ready..I never was.

I then went down to the Store (now on the 29th) around 6 pm to push the issue. My number was 135 down. I sat in a lawn chair for a bit over an hour and watched three people get wrung up. An older guy working the counter was the only one hustling. The two younger kids (early 20's), were moving like molasses and bubbleguming half the time. Knowing I'd never make it by 10, I left.

The next day I called customer service, explained it all again, and canceled the order. They refunded the amount and I went that day to another local store and started the process again on another Ruger. It took 8 days to have it ordered, bcg done and I picked it up today. That store dropped the ball on another issue but I won't go into detail on that. Suffice to say I'm pretty down on gun stores now..glad I'm pretty much complete.
I ordered a shotgun in November. When it was apparent it was not going to be delivered before I left the country on vacation, I went on line and cancelled the order. Two days later I called their customer service number to verify the cancellation and the lady tells me that there is no record of it. She cancelled it again. Almost two weeks later I get an email saying my order had been delivered to the store. Went down there today hoping I could at least fill out the background check form and got there around 10:00am They were handing out numbers. The current number they were helping was 5. My number was 69. I waited a bit, ran a couple of errands and had lunch. Went back and they were on number 10. So they had helped 5 people in three hours. There were only two employees and they were so slow and taking forever for each customer. No hurry at all. I finally went to the customer service counter and cancelled the order for the third time. Supposed to be done by the end of today and I would get an email. Haven't heard from them yet. Very annoying,

I ordered a shotgun in November. When it was apparent it was not going to be delivered before I left the country on vacation, I went on line and cancelled the order. Two days later I called their customer service number to verify the cancellation and the lady tells me that there is no record of it. She cancelled it again. Almost two weeks later I get an email saying my order had been delivered to the store. Went down there today hoping I could at least fill out the background check form and got there around 10:00am They were handing out numbers. The current number they were helping was 5. My number was 69. I waited a bit, ran a couple of errands and had lunch. Went back and they were on number 10. So they had helped 5 people in three hours. There were only two employees and they were so slow and taking forever for each customer. No hurry at all. I finally went to the customer service counter and cancelled the order for the third time. Supposed to be done by the end of today and I would get an email. Haven't heard from them yet. Very annoying,
Yeah..I don't have the patience for those games anymore. It almost seems like those employees are rewarded for how slow they go. Man..I'm beginning to hear the Fudd in me.

Sportsmans supposed philosophy is all BULL. I don't think they give a rats hind-end about customers. I say this because of the still high price of their ammo, poor selection of goods and their unwillingness to reveil when scheduled shipments are to arrive.
Yup, I agree. I was just in there a few minutes ago and the employee at the front desk got a little aggressive with me. All I was asking is where to drop off my compensator to get cut for a front sight. I already did the leg work and had a price quote and everything from the online sportsman's gun smith all I had to do was drop it off.
I'm guessing from the stress of 114 most of the employees are on edge.
It's sad to see my local store treat regulars with hostility.
Long story short, I got turned away.

Yup, I agree. I was just in there a few minutes ago and the employee at the front desk got a little aggressive with me. All I was asking is where to drop off my compensator to get cut for a front sight. I already did the leg work and had a price quote and everything from the online sportsman's gun smith all I had to do was drop it off.
I'm guessing from the stress of 114 most of the employees are on edge.
It's sad to see my local store treat regulars with hostility.
Long story short, I got turned away.
If it's that newer girl in tannesborne, she's got some attitude. I ordered something, was upset I wasn't notified the other part of my order was delayed so I canceled. The guff I got from her was astounding, which made me a little more upset. Seemed to calm her that my complaint was with the website and the credit card not giving me a discount, tho I can obviously consider her attitude unproductive.
Their saving grace is the lawsuit at this point...

If it's that newer girl in tannesborne, she's got some attitude. I ordered something, was upset I wasn't notified the other part of my order was delayed so I canceled. The guff I got from her was astounding, which made me a little more upset. Seemed to calm her that my complaint was with the website and the credit card not giving me a discount, tho I can obviously consider her attitude unproductive.
Their saving grace is the lawsuit at this point...
Yes, it was in Tannesborne. Probably the same lady.
Sportsman's will likely make bank on camp chairs with how long the wait was at the gun counter.
Or maybe they should do "Occupy Sportsman's" (like Occupy Portland) and sell camping equipment while you wait for a background check. That's how you do business! LOL

After I cancelled my shotgun order and left yesterday I got an email that the shotgun was on sale. So this morning I went over to Sportsmans at 8:30 and they were on number 46 and I had number 62. So I ran errands, went back and it was still a few numbers until mine. Waited almost two hours, got the shotgun purchased and fortunately my background check went right through so I got to leave with it. When I was in BiMart a bit later some guy had purchased a handgun and was told he was number 37,000 on the wait list for BGC.

After I cancelled my shotgun order and left yesterday I got an email that the shotgun was on sale. So this morning I went over to Sportsmans at 8:30 and they were on number 46 and I had number 62. So I ran errands, went back and it was still a few numbers until mine. Waited almost two hours, got the shotgun purchased and fortunately my background check went right through so I got to leave with it. When I was in BiMart a bit later some guy had purchased a handgun and was told he was number 37,000 on the wait list for BGC.
37,000 is that all? Heck that should be done in plenty of time for Christmas of 2024, or worst case 2026. :p

Yes, it was in Tannesborne. Probably the same lady.
Sportsman's will likely make bank on camp chairs with how long the wait was at the gun counter.
Or maybe they should do "Occupy Sportsman's" (like Occupy Portland) and sell camping equipment while you wait for a background check. That's how you do business! LOL
I don't know why she feels she needs to be so brunt, but if you're going to shoot down customers there are plenty of freight jobs.
Just too bad guys like charlie went out of business...

Don't get me started on Sportsmans. Still waiting on the "Rewards" points to tabulate in my account from 8 months ago.
I had a similar problem so I called customer service in Utah and had them fix it. Turns out one of the store clerks made an error and it locked up my account.
Took about a week for it to propagate but it did get fixed.

I had a similar problem so I called customer service in Utah and had them fix it. Turns out one of the store clerks made an error and it locked up my account.
Took about a week for it to propagate but it did get fixed.
Interesting. I got an email from them back in August saying they were aware of the Rewards problem affecting a lot of people since their conversion, and they were working to correct it. By October I called Comenity and they told me they expected to have the problem resolved by Thanksgiving. But still no fix. Apparently Comenity bank is used by several other big name retailers / organizations for their credit cards. According to Consumer Affairs complaints, Comenity is a total giant Sh*tshow:

Be advised, in case you were thinking about getting a SW card.

Interesting. I got an email from them back in August saying they were aware of the Rewards problem affecting a lot of people since their conversion, and they were working to correct it. By October I called Comenity and they told me they expected to have the problem resolved by Thanksgiving. But still no fix. Apparently Comenity bank is used by several other big name retailers / organizations for their credit cards. According to Consumer Affairs complaints, Comenity is a total giant Sh*tshow:

Be advised, in case you were thinking about getting a SW card.
I can testify to that... the whole thing is a scam.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top