JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No they replace the stripper clip slot at least on the sadlak. I can still see my front sight but the overall sight picture I'd reduced.

Meh, I don't really need a scope for a while. As long as the iron sights are adjustable for wind and elevation, I'm good to go out to 250 (300 on a good day) meters.

72965D78-BD19-464E-8621-DE6DB0D93D0D_zpsxvyhzr9i.jpg

Each rifle I have has a purpose and that purpose should help define what that rifle. Thats why my 25-06; has a 4-12x scope while my 300 savage has a 4x scope. That is why I have s variety of rifles define your purpose for your rifle and that will help you assemble it. IMHO.

I rarely shoot past 600 meters so a 4x scope would be the way to go for me. Or a 1-4x scope. The AR-15 is for deer. The .308 is for the bigger stuff. Since most of the time, you'd be lucky to even see out to 60 yards where I live a scope isn't necessary here.

Though I'm a bit paranoid about Springfield's quality control...

Last Edited:
I sure would not feel comfortable shooting a good size Millie or white tail with a 223. I don't think you need a magnum but I would grab the 308 first for deer. I seen whitetail hit with 12 gauge slugs and 30-06 bullets. I respect the animal too much to do a half bubblegum job on them. Just my opinion.

I sure would not feel comfortable shooting a good size Millie or white tail with a 223.
The whitetail where I live might as well just be dogs with longer legs and antlers. So a .223, as long as you use the proper load, could get the job done. Someone at the church I go to hunts deer with his AR-15 using 68 grain spitzers. Just have to be a good shot. Bigger rounds leave a little more room for error.

The only "big game" we have, aside from the deer, would be black bear and wild turkey. So a .308 would be primarily for the black bear.

I understand I have primarily hunted oregon and Michigan. It is not unusual to have deer that field dress ove 150 pounds and some have gone over 200. The closest to deer the size you are talking about are the coastal black tail. In your situation I agree with you.

Well, the state has a bit of trouble deciding between being liberal and Republican... Though the gun laws are rather relaxed as long as you don't try to get a pre-ban (which is legal but easier in a few other states). Though if you ever go to NC, beware because there are bubblegums who would indeed think guns should be banned, or have heavy restrictions (aren't they heavy enough?). Unfortunately, my late stepdad and his side of the family are like that. Though they don't visit anymore, I wonder why. :)

I rarely shoot past 600 meters so a 4x scope would be the way to go for me. Or a 1-4x scope. The AR-15 is for deer. The .308 is for the bigger stuff. Since most of the time, you'd be lucky to even see out to 60 yards where I live a scope isn't necessary here.

Though I'm a bit paranoid about Springfield's quality control...

There are now a number of 1-6x and 1-6.5x scopes available on the market now. Most of them are high end and really good scopes, but consequently pricey. I ended up getting a Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x Normally the cheapest one can find this scope retailing for is $1,200, but I found a popular discount camera store selling them for only $979. This is a real quality scope: super bright and sharp.

<broken link removed>

Vortex has a brand new 1-6x that is supposed to start shipping very soon, and it is only going to cost $329. Here is another camera dealer listing it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1111564-REG/vortex_se_1624_1_strike_eagle_1_6x24_ar_bdc.html

I've generally found that the big discount camera dealers like Adorama and B&H Photo will sell many quality riflescopes for less money than websites devoted to riflescopes or hunting gear will.

If you want a more compact and lighter scope, my other AR has a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R Riflescope with their FireDot Ballistic Illuminated Reticle. Very bright, sharp scope, with precise 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Costs $499.9 at B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1037967-REG/leupold_111233_vx_r_2_7x33_firedot_ballistic.html

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top