JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just don't like going any smaller than an 18 inch barrel for .308/7.62 NATO rifles. Unfortunately the AR-10 I want comes with a 16 inch barrel, the only piston one I can find with an 18 inch barrel is the Sig 716.

Though for hunting I can almost see the need for a shorter rifle, but when you get used to carrying around a (roughly) 44 inch rifle, that sort of becomes a non-issue.

Well, with a more generic DI 308 AR, you would have more barrel options available to you. Many vendors over 18 in DI barrels, and Fulton Armory is offering Criterion barrels that are 18.5 inches long.

But the gas piston rifles just don't currently have the same level of options available. They are just too proprietary in design.

I had two Valmets (the Rolls Royce of AKs) in .308, one in heavy long barrel config - I also had several other AKs in 762x39 and 556. How I hated giving up those Valmets, but when the mags got to be $150 each and no more were coming into the country due to the AWB, I decided I should get something more conventional.

None of them ever did any better than 2.5 MOA regardless of type of manufacturer, chambering, ammo and scope mounts.

I am an AK fan, but I would really be surprised if anyone ever found a typical AK (i.e., not some special variant designed and made differently), put a scope on it, and got better than 2 MOA from it.

That just isn't what they are made for.

I agree, 2 MOA is good!

Wow, that must have hurt! Valmet's are the bomb!

A generalization like that is never valid. There are just too many variables involved.

And there are los of things that one can easily do with a 308 AR to mitigate recoil, from installing a good muzzle brake, to using a custom buffer and buffer spring, to installing an adjustable gas block.

A generalization can always be valid, but obviously not in every circumstance. That's what makes it a generalization.

In shooting my factory M14, FAL, and DI AR-10 with good muzzle brake all on the same day, the recoil and time to get back on target for follow up shots are higher when shooting the AR. That's my experience, on my rifles. YMMV.

A generalization can always be valid, but obviously not in every circumstance. That's what makes it a generalization.

In shooting my factory M14, FAL, and DI AR-10 with good muzzle brake all on the same day, the recoil and time to get back on target for follow up shots are higher when shooting the AR. That's my experience, on my rifles. YMMV.

No, generalizations like this one that you are making are indeed invalid, as not all 308 AR rifles are the same. Just look at all of the many companies making this type of rifle today. They can vary quite a bit in features, and key characteristics like barrel length and weight. Whereas a rifle like a FAL, is quite a standardized rifle.

I've honestly never seen anyone else make this argument that you are making. And felt recoil is such an extremely subjective thing. I would have to see something more than just an opinion by one person to give your assertion any credibility at all, other than to simply say that it is your opinion.

Seems that is what he was asking for.....opinions. My "opinion" is again based on my experience with my rifles, as stated in my other posts.

As for generalizations, if you want to break out the AR10 platform into sub-categories by "features, and key characteristics like barrel length and weight", be my guest. These two characteristics that are not unique to the AR-10 and fluctuate on nearly every rifle ever made and thats where generalizations come into play.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top