JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So if I manage to get it to 1-1.5 MOA (I don't care for sub moa) it'll keep that way? Tbh the first thing I'd do to it anyways is replace the barrel with a chrome-lined ones, that's with any rifle I get though.

At a $2k budget I don't think you will find much you don't like.
I have the CETME's,the father to the H&K91 and love them.Not a beauty but shoots very well. You can have 3 for 2k
But man,there is some nice 308 bullpups for the coin.Find a good dealer and see what fits perfect for you

BTW MAX budget for any keltec should be around $150:D

BTW MAX budget for any keltec should be around $150:D
What other .308 bullpups are there available within the budget? With the M1A I can just get the bullpup chassis/stock/whatever later on. But if there's already an affordable .308 bullpup I'd prefer that. I'm still new to the whole bullpup scene, but I like the concept of a full length (or at least not too short) barrel and still having it short enough to carry through brush without hassle.

Currently available rifles?

It would be an FN-FAL, preferably a DSA, probably a Para (folding stock).

Most popular 762x51 Battle Rifle in the world, used by many countries, easy to get parts, mags and mods for, comes in a number of different configurations ranging from a Para (or even an SBR or pistol) to a scout configuration to a Sniper configuration.

Designed by Browning's protege.

Has an adjustable gas port.

If you get the right configuration, you can get a top cover that allows you to reload via stripper clip (a big advantage IMO).

Note: If you want a folding stock configuration, get it that way first - it is more difficult and expensive to get one with a fixed stock and convert it to a folding stock.

Also, if you want one with the carrying handle, then you need the receiver that is cut for that.

Bullpup 762x51

Desert Tech MDR

http://deserttech.com/mdr.php

This is my future battle rifle (not on the market yet, will be next year).

DT accuracy so it will be a sniper rifle out of the box.

Ability to swap calibers, the first three chamberings being 556x45, 762x39 and 762x51, with others to come. Depending on config, street price is rumored to be somewhere between $1900 and $2200, with caliber swap kits about $700 to $1000?

namic_Rifle_Modular_Multi-Caliber_Semi-Auto_Bullpup_Anti-Materiel_Sniper_Rifle_Carbine_Systems_2.jpg

Much better than anything KelTec will ever make.

Bullpup conversions are okay, but can be iffy. I owned an AWC G2A (M1A bullpup) some years ago, and it was okay, but limited to a sniper rifle role.

What's iffy about them? Too new or?
Since the donor rifle was not initially designed to be a bullpup, adaptations and compromises are made to make the result work and be "affordable".

For example, the AWC G2 rifles had a number of variations as they were made, each variation being a bit different as the designers learned what worked and what didn't.

There were some issues with the stock, with the trigger mechanism (which work very well, but in combat, over a length of time, would have proven to be fragile due to the parts used), the action cover did away with stripper clip reloading which is one of the better features of the M1A/M14, the action cover had a support post that caused ejected brass to bounce back under the cover possibly causing a jam, the action cover is painted aluminum which got hot or cold (depending on ambient temp) and you put your face against it for a cheek weld, field stripping the rifle - taking the action out of the stock was discouraged because the bedding in the stock was fragile and it would make the bedding loose.

I am a collector of bullpups, including conversions - they are my favorite long gun design, but as I said, the conversions each have issues and quirks, and sometimes it takes a while and some use of the rifle for a critical eye to find these issues. Take for instance the issues with the KSG and the UTAS shotguns. Don't even get me going on the Muzzlelite piece of **** things.

Is this the Mega Maten MKM?? That is exactly the route I'm thinking of going for my AR10 build. Is that the extended length rail? What is the length of your barrel? Accuracy? Reliability??

Yes, mkm extended handguard. The barrel is a 16" mega barrel. Accuracy is very good, lives up to the sub MOA guarantee and very reliable.

Here's the build list: http://northwestexpeditions.blogspot.com/2014/03/mega-maten-build.html?m=1

and a link to my barrel review: http://northwestexpeditions.blogspot.com/2014/03/mega-308-barrel-review.html?m=1

So if I manage to get it to 1-1.5 MOA (I don't care for sub moa) it'll keep that way? Tbh the first thing I'd do to it anyways is replace the barrel with a chrome-lined ones, that's with any rifle I get though.

You would be much happier with an AR10 in my opinion. Getting an AR10 to shoot 1 - 1.5 MOA is very easy. And 18 inches has become a very popular barrel length for the AR10 now.

In my opinion, the best buy is easily the S&W M&P 10. I've seen some dealers offering it for only $1,350 online. Very accurate, and upgradeable with many standard AR parts and accessories, if you want to trick it out. Only negative is that it uses a proprietary barrel design. But people have been raving about how accurate the rifle is, so that is not much of a concern. Standard barrel is 18 inch chrome lined.

And best of all, the rifle only weighs 7.8 lbs unloaded. Check this video out, before you buy anything:

Another nice AR10 that is 100% generic DPMS pattern is Fulton Armory's FAR 308. You can get a model with an 18 inch chrome lined barrel for $1,688, and it weighs only 8.5 lbs. It is also available in a heavier stainless 18 inch barrel too, with weight increasing to 8.9 lbs.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/farifl...isionrifle-3-4-2-1-1-2-1-2-2-1-4-2-5-1-2.aspx

And you can trick an AR out so much with so many different awesome accessories that are available. Much more so than other types of 308's Very easy to mount sights on too.

And PMAG makes totally awesome AR10 mags in 20 and 25 round capacities, that can be used in either ot these rifle, and any other DPMS pattern AR10.

And DPMS itself has some great deals too. You can get one of their Generation 1 16 inch carbines for $800 to $900, and they weigh 8.3 lbs And they have new, improved Generation 2 models out now as well, that are also lighter weight, just like the S&W M&P I've seen them on sale for $1,299

For example, their Generation 2 Carbines with 16 inch barrels only weigh 7.3 lbs. So it is actually a little lighter than the Smith & Wesson, although they really are closer, since the Smith has an 18 inch barrel.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Last Edited:
the conversions each have issues and quirks, and sometimes it takes a while and some use of the rifle for a critical eye to find these issues.
Guess it means I'll just have to try it and see for myself really. Though I wouldn't be surprised if something does go wrong but meh, if you never try...

You would be much happier with an AR10 in my opinion. Getting an AR10 to shoot 1 - 1.5 MOA is very easy.
That's one of the rifles I'd eventually get when I decide to buy an 80% lower, but one AR in general is enough for now.

To be honest I pretty much made up my mind, since the local shops here (pawn shops, they get decent prices on their guns) have some M1As in stock, and they're pretty good at being able to get them when they don't. Just gotta wait till I can sell the PSL and the ammo.

The M1A is a good rifle for some purposes, especially if you are wanting a precision rifle, and you can get one out of the box that is "accurate".

However, I don't care for the design when compared to more modern military rifles. I always felt it was too vulnerable to stuff getting in the action behind the bolt. Also, the op rod is not the best design.

To each their own.

That's one of the rifles I'd eventually get when I decide to buy an 80% lower, but one AR in general is enough for now.

Well, but an AR-15 and an AR-10 are much different animals. 5.56mm and 7.62 NATO are in entirely different cartridge classes.

In my way of thinking, there are some big advantages in getting an AR-10 if you already own an AR-15. And that is because they operate the same. You would have instant familiarity and proficiency with the rifle, if you are already a capable AR-15 operator. Having affordable, reliable, and lightweight mags is also important to me. And PMAGS are great in all of these respects.

Plus there are so many different accessories on the market for AR's One can so easily customize and enhance them with all sorts of awesome stuff. Neither of my AR's look much like they did when they came from the factory.

And it is just so awkward to mount a scope on a M1A That alone is a deal killer for me.

But everyone has their own personal tastes in guns. Heck, a lot of people still love the 1911, and it is over 100 years old now.

There are many on this board more knowledgeable than myself. I own a PTR91, a couple of nice FN FAls and a M1A. In my limited experience I think the fn fal's are the best choice. Easy to clean and fire all the time. My M1A is the least reliable - the gas system is very fussy. perfect example , my PTR91 and FN's have no problem with federal white box 150Gr. FMJ bullets but my M1A will not cycle with that ammo as confirmed by my gunsmith and I. I reload my own ammo and one thing that the PTR91 series does well is screw up brass. You can pretty much get over reloading 308 brass from PTR91, between the flute and the ejection port dings the brass gets mangled. MY PTR 91 is reliable but has been a pain to mount a scope to and I don't know why yet. I think the FN FAL is my choice for a 308 battle rifle. I have been shooting M14's and M1A's longer than the FAL but in my short time the FAL wins for me. I do believe the M1A is more accurate at longer ranges.

You would be much happier with an AR10 in my opinion. Getting an AR10 to shoot 1 - 1.5 MOA is very easy. And 18 inches has become a very popular barrel length for the AR10 now.

In my opinion, the best buy is easily the S&W M&P 10. I've seen some dealers offering it for only $1,350 online. Very accurate, and upgradeable with many standard AR parts and accessories, if you want to trick it out. Only negative is that it uses a proprietary barrel design. But people have been raving about how accurate the rifle is, so that is not much of a concern. Standard barrel is 18 inch chrome lined.

And best of all, the rifle only weighs 7.8 lbs unloaded. Check this video out, before you buy anything:

Another nice AR10 that is 100% generic DPMS pattern is Fulton Armory's FAR 308. You can get a model with an 18 inch chrome lined barrel for $1,688, and it weighs only 8.5 lbs. It is also available in a heavier stainless 18 inch barrel too, with weight increasing to 8.9 lbs.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/farifl...isionrifle-3-4-2-1-1-2-1-2-2-1-4-2-5-1-2.aspx

And you can trick an AR out so much with so many different awesome accessories that are available. Much more so than other types of 308's Very easy to mount sights on too.

And PMAG makes totally awesome AR10 mags in 20 and 25 round capacities, that can be used in either ot these rifle, and any other DPMS pattern AR10.

And DPMS itself has some great deals too. You can get one of their Generation 1 16 inch carbines for $800 to $900, and they weigh 8.3 lbs And they have new, improved Generation 2 models out now as well, that are also lighter weight, just like the S&W M&P I've seen them on sale for $1,299

For example, their Generation 2 Carbines with 16 inch barrels only weigh 7.3 lbs. So it is actually a little lighter than the Smith & Wesson, although they really are closer, since the Smith has an 18 inch barrel.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

There is better people to listen to than nut boy

It is not difficult to mount a scope on a m1a unless you are talking a cheap mount. A sadlak was pretty straight forward but cost me over 200$ for the mount and rings.

It is not difficult to mount a scope on a m1a unless you are talking a cheap mount. A sadlak was pretty straight forward but cost me over 200$ for the mount and rings.

Sadlak, SEI, and Bassett are good choices.
The CASM line imported from Canada are also excellent mounts, but they replace the rear sight assembly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top