JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been thinking of selling/trading my PSL to get a .308 rifle, preferably semi-automatic. I love my PSL, but at the same time I'd prefer a rifle with ammo that doesn't have to be imported, since most of the light ammo (150 gr and lower) are imported. So for a SHTF scenario, which may or may not happen, not exactly ideal... So....

Which .308 would be good?

How much do those go for? I'm trying to go for something under 2 grand. Was looking at a Kel-Tec RFB since for the most part it's under 2 grand and I like bullpups, but I also want to see the other options since that's still fairly new.

How much do those go for? I'm trying to go for something under 2 grand. Was looking at a Kel-Tec RFB since for the most part it's under 2 grand and I like bullpups, but I also want to see the other options since that's still fairly new.

Fal can be had for $800-$1400,G3 clones range around $700-$1200.
Gunbroker is probably your best bet unless you find one locally.

I'll go ahead and bite. What kind of performance could I get out of the Springfield M1A Scout? Are there 20 round magazines available? And, stupid question but I like bullpups so, will the bullpup chassis(es) work on it? The Fal is tempting, but the M1A also got my interest now. I'm just going to drop the RFB thought I already had.

M1A or one of the civilian M14s ... this is Angela
11074131_1107123062638214_5477919144712318466_n.jpg

TE2-Slung.JPG

Last Edited:
Are there 20 round magazines available?
And, stupid question but I like bullpups so, will the bullpup chassis(es) work on it?

NEW production USGI 20 & 25 round magazines are made by C.M.I. - they are excellent.

There are two different bull pup conversion kits available for the M14/M1A.
They are pretty cool, but the add too much weight to an already heavy rifle.

EasterPig.jpg

Weight is a non-issue, I'm used to carrying around a 12 pound rifle on hunting trips. It also helps that manual labor has been most of my life. ;) But back to the point... What should I expect of a M1A Scout out of box? 2-3 MOA? So far I'm leaning towards getting the M1A Scout, I just like the 18 inch barrel tbh.

IMHO, the 18" barrel is the BEST non standard length option. 2-3 MOA is probably the expected accuracy out
of the box, shimming the gas system, and experimenting with better ammunition should get MOA accuracy.

I'm afraid that I can't help you with Bullpups!

My full sized M1-A NM is easily capable of MOA. My old eyes are the snake in this wood pile! I hate the idea but I may have to scope it. :( One thing no one mentions is the rifles balance, which is IMHO supurb!
Heavy? Pishaw! Take an opponents head off if you butt stroke him! At the bench/hasty rest, heavy is good there too! I qualified Expert with the M-14 and carried one with an extra ammo pouch (40rnds) God knows how many miles and was able to shoot thousands of rounds in the service.
If you are interested in these fine rifles go to the M-14/M1-A forum and lurk around, great forum!

I have an FAL and AR10 and love them both for different reasons. The AR10 has the inherent familiarity with the AR15 :rolleyes:, a ton of aftermarket parts for customization for a particular need and 1 MOA accuracy can be had. The FAL just runs, and runs great. Piston driven, adjustable gas system, low recoil, great balance and very comfortable fit. There is limited aftermarket support and the accuracy I haven't found to be as good as the AR.

I'll go ahead and bite. What kind of performance could I get out of the Springfield M1A Scout? Are there 20 round magazines available? And, stupid question but I like bullpups so, will the bullpup chassis(es) work on it? The Fal is tempting, but the M1A also got my interest now. I'm just going to drop the RFB thought I already had.

Yeah you can get 20 round mags for M1A(civilian M14),but you can get 30 round magazines for a Fal.

Note:Fal pictured is not mine it is a pic I nabbed to show the 30 rounder for it.

DSCN0383.jpg

Well I'm pretty much set on a M1A. Though I heard that if you accurize it, it won't stay that way. Any truth to that?
None of that is true in this modern world, but some old school National Match mods did require some maintenance after each shooting season.

CMI makes 20 & 25 round USGI mags. If you need more, X Products makes a real nice 50 round drum mag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top