JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What are you not understanding? I was making a point about how far people demand other people go for their own safety. Loaded cond. 3 gun not enough? What is enough? A six shot .380? Compact .40? AR pistol? Armored car?

The OP's friend made a choice to buy a tiny .380 that carries well so he can take it anywhere. And he made a personal decision to keep things simple and safer by leaving the chamber empty. But that's not going to be tolerated because there is only one right way of doing things, and any consideration besides speed and (short range) accuracy is foolish and immature.
First time on the internet?

What are you not understanding? I was making a point about how far people demand other people go for their own safety. Loaded cond. 3 gun not enough? What is enough? A six shot .380? Compact .40? AR pistol? Armored car?

The OP's friend made a choice to buy a tiny .380 that carries well so he can take it anywhere. And he made a personal decision to keep things simple and safer by leaving the chamber empty. But that's not going to be tolerated because there is only one right way of doing things, and any consideration besides speed and (short range) accuracy is foolish and immature.
I don't think anybody said it wasn't tolerated. There's a lot of noise about practice, and if, in the very unlikely situation that you do need to use it, it's ready out of bed rather than having to wait for morning coffee.

I don't think anybody said it wasn't tolerated. There's a lot of noise about practice, and if, in the very unlikely situation that you do need to use it, it's ready out of bed rather than having to wait for morning coffee.
People bring up being scared, not training enough, having the wrong mindset, etc.

There is a subtext to these discussions that always reinforces whatever is (currently) consider orthodox, with that orthodoxy enforced with character attacks on competency and machismo. Most gun people really think that the current system has no downsides and has figured out all the angles. It is puzzlingly close minded, considering it mostly comes from marketing.

And you may miss, or be hit from behind, or run out of ammo, or not have lethal enough ammo, or be outnumbered.

Why would any sane person walk around with a handgun? Belt-fed light machinegun, full armor, gas mask, slash proof gloves, etc. Prepared or dead. No measure could ever be enough. Because there is never a balancing downside to extensive preparations for violence.
Right! Better yet, stay home indoors huddled under a bulletproof shield wearing...Wait. A fallout shelter. Just build yourself a fallout shelter and stay inside till you die.That's the way to live a long life.

I recall the reaction of my genetics mentor on reading a report that said that fruit fly males lived longer if kept separate from females. "It only feels longer."

This is understandable as pocket designs differ and some will allow for considerably safer and more secure carry than others.

Some coats/jackets have deeper, vertical style pockets which will safely secure a gun but some waist length, lighter styles have shallower, 'angular' style pockets which will not be the best for carrying.

A friend of mine was recently over and his snub nose S&W fell out of his pocket while he was sitting on a couch.
Right. And alas, women's clothes are especially deficient in the pocket department. Any pockets are usually much too small or shallow to carry anything in with any security. There is usually just one small shirt pocket and it is right over your left !%*#ouch!

I certainly was considering them. It's just that the vast majority of violent crimes against women are perpetrated by people they know and have reasons to trust.
No. Most rapes against women that are reported are by someone the woman knows, the largest number being by acquaintances, not intimates. Such as a guy in the neighborhood or at work she recognizes whose name she may or may not know but with whom she has no significant relationship. The idea that most reported rapes are committed by an intimate isn't correct. The standard statement that most reported rapes are committed by someone the woman knows includes both acquaintances and intimates and excludes only total strangers the women has no knowledge of ever meeting.

I'm going to take a different stance here...

Has your friend considered ditching the gun and carrying a sword instead? Any dangerous characters on the street would see it a mile away and steer clear. There's also classes avail in Portland. I know this just invites a whole new set of trouble. Trying to cross bridges and being challenged. Passing by windmills etc. Also the occasional visit to a Smith for maintenance and buying all the sword oils and cleaning supplies.
Overall it sounds like a nice sword might be a better fit for your buddy. He can even make his own scabbard and mark it with his family crest.

Let us know what he decides.

No. Most rapes against women that are reported are by someone the woman knows, the largest number being by acquaintances, not intimates. Such as a guy in the neighborhood or at work she recognizes whose name she may or may not know but with whom she has no significant relationship. The idea that most reported rapes are committed by an intimate isn't correct. The standard statement that most reported rapes are committed by someone the woman knows includes both acquaintances and intimates and excludes only total strangers the women has no knowledge of ever meeting.
I didn't say "intimates". The "trust" part indicates someone who is able to get close without arousing suspicion, getting inside the woman's defenses. That doesn't necessarily take a lot more than being friendly and previously talking - like a neighbor.

I didn't say "intimates". The "trust" part indicates someone who is able to get close without arousing suspicion, getting inside the woman's defenses. That doesn't necessarily take a lot more than being friendly and previously talking - like a neighbor.
Old broad seems more interested in proving people wrong about all things rape, than actually reading what people are posting.

Not just by dropping it in the pocket, otherwise you don't have pockets for long. Pocket holster not only help protect the gun and position it for drawing, they also save the pocket from being destroyed by the front sight.
In jeans, shorts and pants pockets, my gun sits in a holster. Have you ever tried to get a gun out of a holster in a coat pocket?
without the coat being snapped, buttoned, or zipped up tight, trying to pull the gun just drags the coat and pocket along with the gun. It fouls your draw more times than not! DR

He bought an LCP and made a nice holster with an attached mag pouch. He told me he was only going to carry it in places he deemed dangerous, like Portland. He also said he wasn't going to have a round in the chamber as I do. I told him that he was wrong on both counts and offered to show him a video of a man being murdered while trying to rack his slide. Oh well, I tried!
He'd probably be better off carrying pepper spray. At least, he won't have to waste time racking the slide...

I'd like to offer my sage advice and wisdom that comes from decades of life experience with firearms, surviving attacks on my life from strangers in nice parts of town and even my nextdoor neighbors in an affluent community . . . however, it would be understood by very few and accepted by even less.

Armchair Rambos be damned!

He has a couple of handguns but never shoots them.
This is a GIANT RED FLAG. Knowing how a device responds when used is the key to winning (surviving) an gunfight. Especially true of a hand-hopper like the LCP. Top complaint is pinching of the trigger finger during reset. A professional must know how to correct anything impeding the ability to handle a weapon during adrenaline overload. Prepare to win, or die.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top