JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What makes dropping a gun in your pocket dangerous? What makes them more likely to be dropped?
I have to say I have pocket carried for near 40 years, without any problems. DR
Not just by dropping it in the pocket, otherwise you don't have pockets for long. Pocket holster not only help protect the gun and position it for drawing, they also save the pocket from being destroyed by the front sight.

People do win the lottery.
Sure. But I've known no one who has won the Powerball lottery. Right now the odds are about 1 in 292,000,000. I've known many women who have been raped or had to deal with an attempted rape by a stranger.

Internet info says 5 people from Oregon have won the Powerball lottery. Internet info says number murdered in Oregon from 2000 to 2009 ranged from 68 to 90 per year. So as an Oregonian you are much more than ten times as likely to be murdered as to win the Powerball lottery. The numbers for "forcible rape" are more than a thousand per year. Aggravated assault is above 5,000 a year. Of course not all those were done by strangers. But not all are reported either.

The % of reported rapes by strangers vs acquaintances and intimates seems to be about 10% to 25% depending on report. Using the lowest figure, that still gives you more than 100 forcible rapes done by strangers per year in Oregon--20X as many as the number of Oregonians who have ever won the lottery. And forcible rape is just one category of violent crime.

Last Edited:
Sure. But I've known no one who has won the Powerball lottery. Right now the odds are about 1 in 292,000,000. I've known many women who have been raped or had to deal with an attempted rape by a stranger.

Internet info says 5 people from Oregon have won the Powerball lottery. Internet info says number murdered in Oregon from 2000 to 2009 ranged from 68 to 90 per year. So as an Oregonian you are much more than ten times as likely to be murdered as to win the Powerball lottery. The numbers for "forcible rape" are more than a thousand per year. Aggravated assault is above 5,000 a year. Of course not all those were done by strangers. But not all are reported either.

The % of reported rapes by strangers vs acquaintances and intimates seems to be about 10% to 25% depending on report. Using the lowest figure, that still gives you more than 100 forcible rapes done by strangers per year in Oregon--20X as many as the number of Oregonians who have ever won the lottery. And forcible rape is just one category of violent crime.
So all of this happened because they didn't have time to rack the slide?

So all of this happened because they didn't have time to rack the slide?
I don't believe that @OldBroad44 ever said that or inferred it. In her stated experience, which seems to beat the statistics per @RX-79G, is that in one instance, she would not have had time to rack the slide if she weren't already packing a revolver.

That said, if you're a dude and you're smart about where to go, you will likely never experience a situation where you need to defend yourself with a firearm. Que lottery statistics.

I don't believe that @OldBroad44 ever said that or inferred it. In her stated experience, which seems to beat the statistics per @RX-79G, is that in one instance, she would not have had time to rack the slide if she weren't already packing a revolver.

That said, if you're a dude and you're smart about where to go, you will likely never experience a situation where you need to defend yourself with a firearm. Que lottery statistics.
And even if you do get into trouble, the fact that the chamber isn't loaded doesn't mean you'll fail. That's why this is being compared to the lottery - you have to be targeted, attacked, pull out your gun, have that fail to end the fight, have no time to rack the slide and still lose the fight.

Old Broad never needed to fire, so she has never even needed to rack the slide. A gun with an empty chamber would have worked in every case. So she still hasn't hit Powerball.

And even if you do get into trouble, the fact that the chamber isn't loaded doesn't mean you'll fail.
I have to respectfully disagree with this, it doesn't mean you will win either. There is no guarantee you will have time to rack the slide and this has in fact got the good guy killed. You might have time, you might not... there is no way to know. I think a better way to look at this is if you dont have time you will always lose.

I think the Powerball part of this is that have been TREMENDOUSLY unlucky, or you live in a terrible place. Most people (99.999%) will go their entire lives without being a target of violent crime from a stranger.
Depends. Up to about 20yo, I saw alot then from around 28 to 32 I saw a lot just working outside in LA.

Working construction I gained physical size and a strongly spoken, GFY, went a long way. Even that depended on what part of town I was in. The gun is a great tool that has to be used correctly to make it useful.

Portland makes @OldBroad44 point once again

Reminds me of the way that woman screamed that night. Scream suddenly cut off. I'll never forget that. It was stupid to go down and intervene. I had no idea how many men there were. Or if they were armed. I remember nothing between hearing the scream and being half way down the stairs, gun in my pocket, realizing I might be about to get myself killed. Sense of profound surprise at discovering I had no choice but to do what I was doing. There was enough time for just one additional thought. If I died right now, I would die defending my concept of civilization--not a bad way to die.

Many decades later, I read a novel titled Stone Song, based on the life of Oglala Sioux Indian warrior His Crazy Horse. A chant they used in battle was "This would be a good day to die." I think I understand.

1650423551139.png

Aloha, Mark

I have to respectfully disagree with this, it doesn't mean you will win either. There is no guarantee you will have time to rack the slide and this has in fact got the good guy killed. You might have time, you might not... there is no way to know. I think a better way to look at this is if you dont have time you will always lose.
And you may miss, or be hit from behind, or run out of ammo, or not have lethal enough ammo, or be outnumbered.

Why would any sane person walk around with a handgun? Belt-fed light machinegun, full armor, gas mask, slash proof gloves, etc. Prepared or dead. No measure could ever be enough. Because there is never a balancing downside to extensive preparations for violence.

Why would any sane person walk around with a handgun? Belt-fed light machinegun, full armor, gas mask, slash proof gloves, etc. Prepared or dead. No measure could ever be enough. Because there is never a balancing downside to extensive preparations for violence.
So is the mask off now? The reason why I've been following this thread was because the original question looked like bait.

So is the mask off now? The reason why I've been following this thread was because the original question looked like bait.
What are you not understanding? I was making a point about how far people demand other people go for their own safety. Loaded cond. 3 gun not enough? What is enough? A six shot .380? Compact .40? AR pistol? Armored car?

The OP's friend made a choice to buy a tiny .380 that carries well so he can take it anywhere. And he made a personal decision to keep things simple and safer by leaving the chamber empty. But that's not going to be tolerated because there is only one right way of doing things, and any consideration besides speed and (short range) accuracy is foolish and immature.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top