JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good on ya, Dun.

I have never owned a Python. When I was a young man I bought TWO MKIII Troopers (known as "The Poor Man's Python") the same day from the same store. Both brand new and Electroless Nickle finish.

One was a 6" .22lr. I gave it to my girlfriend for Christmas...

...Which justified buying the 8-3/8 .357 as MY present:

PC270103.JPG

A 2x M8 Leupold (bought off a gunshow table), Weaver cantilever mounts (ordered at jobber cost from a Weaver employee), Jay Scott Grips (discovered in a closeout bin at Payless Drugs when they decided to not carry guns anymore), some Blue Dot, some 140gr Speer JHP's and I was all set to dump a nice goat at 110yds. (got a turkey and a snake or two that year too, as you can see!).

I truly had a "Poor Man's Python" and had actually built the "Hunter Pack" (Hunting Python with the whole enchilada from the factory in a hard case) on a shoestring. (Excepting the girlfriend gun expense.)

These fat-barreled little bustards can shoot!

Last Edited:
Guns will sell at both crazy high and low prices...Just a matter of timing and finding the right buyer.

It is also important to remember that a gun's worth may not be the same as its dollar value.

Be that as it may...if I had $36, 000 -$75, 000 to spend on a gun it wouldn't be this particular Colt Python.
A original St. Louis made Sam Hawken , Hawken rifle...then oh yeah...sign me up.
Now if I only had the "problem" of having that gun budget....:D
Andy
Andy, Im surprised that you don't already own a small supply of original Hawkens:D and go hunting regular with them! We know how ya are with them black-powder thingies.
My own favorites are Mausers and have several

Last Edited:
Andy, Im surprised that you don't already own a small supply of original Hawkens:D and go hunting regular with them! We know how ya are with them black-powder thingies.
My own favorites are Mausers and have several

Original Hawken rifles don't come up for sale very often...But when they do..they can go for the price of the Python in the OP.
As for shooting or going hunting with one...Yep I would do that...if the rifle was sound and the weather nice.
It wouldn't be my regular shooter , but it still would be used as it was intended for on occasion.
I do take some of my originals out shooting and hunting...always nice to do good shooting with a old gun.

Mausers are very nice..I owned a few of those over the years...One can collect many different variations of those for sure.
Andy

Wow. That doesn't happen much
What watch was it

It was a Patek Philippe Nautilus.

The demand on these has greatly risen while the production which they purposely keep at a minimum has not met those demands. The MSRP is one thing which is on the lower end in comparison to quite a few of their watches that they produce. However what they are selling for on the open market is much greater than what they are retailing for at their MSRP or price at an AD or authorized dealer.

Typically to get one of these highly in demand watches whatever it is if you went into an AD where they just wouldn't have one these watches laying around. You would have to purchase a few other more expensive watches previously and still more than likely get in line. To purchase some of their much more expensive watches you actually have to put in an application and get permission as well as purchase some other watches first. I never have done this because we are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars for the much more limited and more expensive watches. But then again keep in mind they only make about 40,000 watches overall during the course of the year and their much more expensive watches are extremely limited. Their ADs might wish they would make more but Patek Phillipe will not. luxury watches are somewhat different or conduct their business differently than what most manufactures do to say the least.

I purchased my watches at a good time, maybe not the best time but a good time. Currently and for a little bit of time Rolex professional line of SS watches and Pateks Sport watch prices have gone through the roof on the grey market as they have kept their productions low while the demand has been even higher.

If you think all of this is ridiculous just keep in mind Patek Phillipe is still one of the only privately owned luxury watch makers besides Rolex and Patek Phillipe has been in business for a very long time. So far they have outlasted quartz watches and IPhones and go quite a ways back as so has Rolex but for a shorter period of time.

Sorry to ramble but I thought I would try and give some here an idea of just a little of what takes place with luxury watches. However the point I am trying to make is that when you get to a certain point where people are willing to pay luxury prices often the rules are much different than what they are for mass produced goods. Often when you get to a certain price point you are talking about a limited amount of goods. Sometimes this limit is artificial but then again in this case Patek understands it's in their best interest over the long haul to keep it as such. It's luxury and they are not looking to make it common place.

There were other reasons I purchased mainly Patek Phillipe and Rolex watches but they typically retain their value very well. Of course it varies a bit depending on model but overall those two brands over time have done very well. In my case I got lucky. Timing can also be very critical. Demand and the level at which that demand can change as consumers determine what they want more of. In this case I thought this might be temporary and although I really liked the watch I just couldn't overlook the opportunity to cash in. I figured it very possible this was a bubble and had no idea when that might burst. To look back after the fact and not do so now I figured I would have too many regrets if I didn't. It wasn't a rash decision however so I had been thinking about it for awhile. Like I said I really did like that watch and had no real intention of cashing it in so early. I had always thought it a possibility a little later in life however. So here again if I think at some point I might to lose out on the bubble just made no sense.

I have no idea what's going on with this Python, but commenting on it as easy as it maybe to do many may very well just turn out to also be ignorant as to what it may actually be worth.

Last Edited:
'...it's...'

You'd think that playing in that stratospheric marketplace the vendor would bother to write in correct English.

I'm pretty sure if you spend enough time you could find fault with any person or any thing. Maybe as important as grammar and spelling are it's possible if they had gotten that right the angle or light in which they took the pictures might offend you.

Seriously don't you have anything other than perfect grammar or spelling to add to the conversation?

I'm pretty sure if you spend enough time you could find fault with any person or any thing. Maybe as important as grammar and spelling are it's possible if they had gotten that right the angle or light in which they took the pictures might offend you.

Seriously don't you have anything other than perfect grammar or spelling to add to the conversation?

You could be right...for almost 45 years of my life I checked things to make sure they were right, so it's really a hard habit to break. As for 'adding to the conversation', I'm far too modest to ask you to look to the left-hand edge of this thread and see what I've contributed to this forum over the last few years. ;)

You could be right...for almost 45 years of my life I checked things to make sure they were right, so it's really a hard habit to break. As for 'adding to the conversation', I'm far too modest to ask you to look to the left-hand edge of this thread and see what I've contributed to this forum over the last few years. ;)

I saw that before I submitted my post. Regardless my comment wasn't about any of those It was in reference to the one I responded to. Sometimes even I can be just a little bit too picky. Anyway I thought we were talking about a very high priced gun.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top