JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while back i did a short comparison (python vs s&w model 10) . Obviously the colt had advantages (6 inch vs 4 and adjustable sights vs fixed). Luckily i was able to buy a unfired 1979 s&w model 28 highway patrolman off a fellow member. The following is my impressions of the two. The colt has a awesome finish, in fact it may be the best SS finish i have ever seen. The Smith has a decent blue finish nothing fancy. The model 28 was basically a no frills model 27 so it lacked the high end cosmetic details of the 27 but was identical internally. Finish colt wins. Both have adjustable sights Colt has a orange front blade the smith is all black. The colt rear sight is springy to the touch and although it doesn't seem to effect accuracy it bothers me nonetheless. The Smith is solid as a rock. Sights S&W wins. The colts single action trigger was 4.79 lbs and double action came in at 6.84 lbs. The S&W single action was 4.20 lbs and double was 10 lbs. The colts DA starts out light and gets a tad heavier at the end of pull (its a exceptional DA trigger) I was completely shocked that the S&W DA trigger came in at 10lbs. Although it is heavy initially it breaks really quick (it is by far the best 10 lbs trigger i have ever felt). Both SA triggers were very nice. Trigger I like them both. Firing was done at ranges of 10, 20 and 50 yards with both .38 and 357. These guns both shot lights out. The colt was easier to shoot in DA. The Smith had never been fired and like all Smiths that DA pull will get lighter with use. At 50 yards in SA i never failed to hit 18 inch steel plates with the smith or the colt. Hard pressed to say what gun i like best.

8B5782CA-53F9-49ED-B16A-7DB2456E006D.jpeg

The 28 would respond well to an action job. S&Ws are a lot easier to smooth and tune than a Colt. Given the difference in price, adding the action job to the S&W wouldn't really be skewing the results. Bending the mainspring and removing a couple of coils from the trigger return spring can lighten the DA pull noticeably without affecting reliability because if you go too far with the mainspring you can unbend it a little. Make sure that if you have an open coil on the trigger spring it goes into the rebound slide open end first.

Last Edited:
The 28 would respond well to an action job. S&Ws are a lot easier to smooth and tune than a Colt. Given the difference in price, adding the action job to the S&W wouldn't really be skewing the results. Bending the mainspring and removing a couple of coils from the trigger return spring can lighten the DA pull noticeably without affecting reliability because if you go too far with the mainspring you can unbend it a little. Make sure that if you have an open coil on the trigger spring it goes into the rebound slide open end first.
I really enjoy the gun as is. Although heavy the DA breaks super quick (like falling off a cliff). Dont think I will mess with the trigger.

Your 2020 Python trigger sure sounds sweet at 4.79 lbs single and double action at 6.84 lbs. I've read that Colt recently changed the spring for more reliable ignition and weights are a bit more now.

I'm done agonizing over whether to get a Python or a SW. I'm going to get both as soon as I can find them:)

I'm gravitating more to the k frame though.

Your 2020 Python trigger sure sounds sweet at 4.79 lbs single and double action at 6.84 lbs. I've read that Colt recently changed the spring for more reliable ignition and weights are a bit more now.

I'm done agonizing over whether to get a Python or a SW. I'm going to get both as soon as I can find them:)

I'm gravitating more to the k frame though.
when in doubt buy em both! love my K frame.

Apples and oranges. Python is Colt's top of the line revolver. The model 28 is a utility large N frame not
a refined finish. For the price of a Python you can get a Performance center 686 L frame 7 shot 357. This
would be a more fair comparison. I prefer my 686+ compared to my friends 6 inch Python. Fits my hand
and sights line up better. Also the rubber Hogue grips are very comfortable.
Uncle Jerry

Apples and oranges. Python is Colt's top of the line revolver. The model 28 is a utility large N frame not
a refined finish. For the price of a Python you can get a Performance center 686 L frame 7 shot 357. This
would be a more fair comparison. I prefer my 686+ compared to my friends 6 inch Python. Fits my hand
and sights line up better. Also the rubber Hogue grips are very comfortable.
Uncle Jerry
The PC 686 would suffer the same fate as the model 28 when it comes to finish. I have owned one and my older smiths were better built firearms. The older model 28 has case hardend hammer and trigger and no mim parts. Internally it was no different than the high end model 27.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top