JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At the James Murphy auction of a private collection of guns. Already underway, has several days to go. https://murphyauction.hibid.com/cat...-collection-and-outdoor-sculptures---online/?

Note auction conditions, FFL dealer will be on site to transfer guns to new owners. $40 fee for a long gun, $50 fee for a handgun or "modern" rifle. Of course due to Wash. state law, you won't be able to take your handgun or modern rifle home with you that day. Also note, 13% buyer's premium (fee). Which I've always thought was a rip-off because the auction company is already getting paid by the seller, but I guess if they can get away with it, they will. Don't forget approx. 10% state sales tax.

Also note that this is a "soft close" auction. Meaning, it doesn't have a definite closing time, they keep milking an item for as long as idiots will keep bidding on it.

I don't see any provision for previewing the merch. But maybe I missed it in the details. I'd hate to think what you see in that smallish picture is what you get, and maybe a whole lot more than you bargained for.

You can look through and see lots of ordinary stuff. Maybe the seller or his heirs already went through and cherry-picked out the really good stuff. Note Lot # 115, "1953 Winchester" then it says, "1895/70." That's one I've never heard of. It also notes, .30-40 - .30.06, so some kind of modified Model 1895.

How about Lot #118, an M1 Garand. Already up to $1,550. But wait, note the 7 Million serial number. The US gov't-made originals never go up into the 7,000,000 serial number range. This is a Springfield Armory, INC product. So don't go too high on this one. Or maybe they are collectible now in their own right, I don't think SAI makes them anymore.

It will be entertaining to see what the ammo and components go for.

This is a view of the future for your own holdings if you are a big rat-packer.

Holy moly!

Is that one man's pile of STUFF and guns or does it belong to a bunch of people?

Is it a LIVING estate/moving/downsizing sale or a dead person's estate sale?

Cate

At the James Murphy auction of a private collection of guns. Already underway, has several days to go. https://murphyauction.hibid.com/cat...-collection-and-outdoor-sculptures---online/?

Note auction conditions, FFL dealer will be on site to transfer guns to new owners. $40 fee for a long gun, $50 fee for a handgun or "modern" rifle. Of course due to Wash. state law, you won't be able to take your handgun or modern rifle home with you that day. Also note, 13% buyer's premium (fee). Which I've always thought was a rip-off because the auction company is already getting paid by the seller, but I guess if they can get away with it, they will. Don't forget approx. 10% state sales tax.

Also note that this is a "soft close" auction. Meaning, it doesn't have a definite closing time, they keep milking an item for as long as idiots will keep bidding on it.

I don't see any provision for previewing the merch. But maybe I missed it in the details. I'd hate to think what you see in that smallish picture is what you get, and maybe a whole lot more than you bargained for.

You can look through and see lots of ordinary stuff. Maybe the seller or his heirs already went through and cherry-picked out the really good stuff. Note Lot # 115, "1953 Winchester" then it says, "1895/70." That's one I've never heard of. It also notes, .30-40 - .30.06, so some kind of modified Model 1895.

How about Lot #118, an M1 Garand. Already up to $1,550. But wait, note the 7 Million serial number. The US gov't-made originals never go up into the 7,000,000 serial number range. This is a Springfield Armory, INC product. So don't go too high on this one. Or maybe they are collectible now in their own right, I don't think SAI makes them anymore.

It will be entertaining to see what the ammo and components go for.

This is a view of the future for your own holdings if you are a big rat-packer.
No rat packers here!

What does not get used on a regular basis or within a time frame goes bye bye!

Thanks for the link - it was interesting to look at.

Take care.

Cate

Winchester 1895 in 45-70 made by Miroku in Japan was the real deal. Not a cobbled up 1894. So the author of the article needs to do more research for his writing.
I didn't say anything about an 1894. The picture in the auction listing shows a very well-worn example of an 1895. I'd very, very surprised if the rifle shown is a Miroku. Which started being made in the 1980's. The auction listing is scant; the dual reference to chamber may mean it was originally .30-40, has been rechambered to .30-06. It has a five digit serial number that is unlike Miroku serial numbers.

What's the point of doing that?
They are AHOLES who enjoy running the bids up for their own or their buddies auctions. We saw it happen quite a bit when we were getting our foot in the door.

I haven't done any auctions...I assumed that they'd be a place to get some screaming deals every once in awhile...but every time I look, seems the prices are either in line with retail values or even over.

Lot 90. The Ruger mini 14 has a factory folding stock. The 183 prefix, to my limited expertise, is outside of civilian models. When trying to search the SN on Rugers web site, response comes back with no information. If this mini is indeed a LE limited distribution item, it will have collector value.

These type of auctions are a waste of time, people with no intentions to buy bid the items up.
They might pull this off in the initial phase when bids are still relatively low. But it becomes a dangerous game later when prices are up. They might wind up being top bidder by accident and have to unwind that problem.

Hmmm, so someone does have more guns than I do
And of course this may not be everything the person has/had.

I haven't done any auctions...I assumed that they'd be a place to get some screaming deals every once in awhile...but every time I look, seems the prices are either in line with retail values or even over.
Auctions used to be a better source for buyers (guns, cars, etc) than they are now. In my view, it has to do with the easy availability of information. People don't have to spend years becoming expert in some subject through experience. They can look up anything about anything in minutes on the internet.

Lot 90. The Ruger mini 14 has a factory folding stock. The 183 prefix, to my limited expertise, is outside of civilian models. When trying to search the SN on Rugers web site, response comes back with no information. If this mini is indeed a LE limited distribution item, it will have collector value.
I didn't look at that one. But I did look at the M16's. Which have Brownell lowers to keep them legal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top