JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the quick read I did sounds like they are claiming only 15 of these were made. Since I am not going to spend that kind of cash on something I can't shoot even if I win the lotto did not read up on this. Assuming it really is one of 15 I can easily see it going much higher. When you get into "collecting" all price reality goes out the window. This is one of those guns that someone will buy and will never shoot. I have never been into owning a gun I can't shoot but what the hell. Someone will buy this. I have to wonder if the seller is the original buyer. If so it would be fun to see what they paid for it when they bought it compared to what it sells for.

How fortunate for the few that the masses don't think.

Collectors (and investors) will know exactly what I am saying here: 36K (or 75K) is to such a buyer as $36 or $75 is to some of us.

At the risk of encouraging "the masses" here to think, would you spend $36 for a near-certain double return? ( If the gun actually sold for 75K that proves the certainty of return).

And at our level, $36 for $75 is $39 tax-free income. Translates to about $55 if you had to work for it.

(for the Coyotes walking away from the "sour grapes" hanging on the tree, I shoot everything I own by the way: often to the horror of fellow collectors.)

I shoot everything I own
So do I.
While I 'could' afford some guns I admire and would like to have the fact they are being sold in 'unfired' condition (and should be left as such) so I have no desire to own them.

Like anything 'collectable' there are probably owners with safes full of 'unfired' guns - such as this 75K Colt.

I am no expert (fair novice) but I suspect there are some guns however that even if found 'NIB' MIGHT be ok to shoot as they don't have a lot of 'intrinsic' value.

An example is on another forum there is a gal (quite experienced with older/classic guns) who recently posted she had found a couple early three screw Ruger Single Sixes NIB, unfired and got them for very good prices and has decided to shoot them. Some agreed, some disagreed - I don't know in this case.

The subject gun discussed here typifies a recent and increasing trend in the collector arena. The big money ONLY wants absolute pristine guns: the best of the best. I am small potatoes among some very serious collectors that have been close friends for years, and even they are amazed and frustrated with the surge of big money in the field now: a noticeable portion of whom don't really study what they buy or care to learn about the guns. Many actually HIRE someone for the knowledge of what to buy and where to find it. (Perhaps this trend has modeled itself after the high dollar fine art market: it is an investment only.)

I can't honestly say I pity those with so much financial reserves, but I am dead certain they are missing all the fun of it.

Guns will sell at both crazy high and low prices...Just a matter of timing and finding the right buyer.

It is also important to remember that a gun's worth may not be the same as its dollar value.

Be that as it may...if I had $36, 000 -$75, 000 to spend on a gun it wouldn't be this particular Colt Python.
A original St. Louis made Sam Hawken , Hawken rifle...then oh yeah...sign me up.
Now if I only had the "problem" of having that gun budget....:D
Andy

The subject gun discussed here typifies a recent and increasing trend in the collector arena. The big money ONLY wants absolute pristine guns: the best of the best. I am small potatoes among some very serious collectors that have been close friends for years, and even they are amazed and frustrated with the surge of big money in the field now: a noticeable portion of whom don't really study what they buy or care to learn about the guns. Many actually HIRE someone for the knowledge of what to buy and where to find it. (Perhaps this trend has modeled itself after the high dollar fine art market: it is an investment only.)

I can't honestly say I pity those with so much financial reserves, but I am dead certain they are missing all the fun of it.
They may have fun with other things. Not to trivialize your frustration, of course, just that different things are fun to different people. You could hand me a playing card worth thousands of dollars and I'd appreciate nothing about it but the value.

Well 47 people seem to know something we don't

I would say that many bids are indicative of the true value of this gun and that it will probably only increase.

It's difficult for some to relate to $36 K plus for a gun (or anything for that matter) as that amount is like $360, or $36 for others.

My point being price is subjective and based on a previous selling price of the same item and what is currently being paid (or being bid) on another of the same item and, (importantly) the number willing to pay that price.

Take a look at what is being paid for Colt Paterson revolvers, or original 1860 Henry rifles and their are more than 15 of each of those.
This...

When I was a kid I wanted a colt anaconda for Christmas.
$400.00 new
Parents got me a smith .357
I got my anaconda 8 years ago.
Traded a bushmaster for it.
But blues guns are WAY better looking to me now.

So I guess some here would say I was crazy pirchasing a watch for $21,500 in 2011.

I wonder how many would change their mind when they find out I sold it for $51,500 5 months ago?

friggin crazy, man. A lotta scratch for ANY Python! The Python isnt that great, even in stainless. Make mine a Smith (or even Ruger)- in stainless for anything other than a safe queen and lord knows there are a few in the safe! That said, I had no clue that Colt made a stainless Python. Ive heard that Colt's retain their value, but this is astounding (in my world)..

friggin crazy, man. A lotta scratch for ANY Python! The Python isnt that great, even in stainless. Make mine a Smith (or even Ruger)- in stainless for anything other than a safe queen and lord knows there are a few in the safe! That said, I had no clue that Colt made a stainless Python. Ive heard that Colt's retain their value, but this is astounding (in my world)..
I think the python is much nicer than any other revolver

The finish on the Python is cool, but I decided to go with a Korth instead.

Korth Mongoose 357 9mm A.JPG

Nicest on the outside, and it's the best blued firearm I own. NOT so nice on the inside, hand-fitted parts and all too likely to wear with use. Sure it's smooth! Personal druthers after a lifetime of pistols and revolvers is the model 27 Smith, which can be smoothed, polished and replaced springs to get a slick feel... and will outlast a Python. No longer a fan of 4" .357's, have gained an appreciation for the 5"+ barrel since it's been awhile since duty-carry use and a 6" will allow the .357 to shine. For a beat-to-heck-and-gone revolver, a stainless Ruger .357 will outlast it's owner's lifetime, even if not so pretty by a long shot... My Python, purchased new in 1979-ish, still resides in the safe even tho that bugs me.. too valuable to carry, much less shoot! Shot a bit with .38's, a bit with .357s, mostly carried, and even more safe-time. Now, if I only could find the original box and original grips! I know they are around here SOMEwhere. Making do with Ruger and Smiths! JME&O, YMMV!
Hope ya'll had a great Christmas w/family and friends if not required to pull duty. Happy New Year! as we prepare to ring in 2020. Pray for our President and our beloved country!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top