JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm back at it.....took some time off to focus on my rifle and class I just took but I'm back to reloading 9mm this week.

Did a few tests this week using the formulas above. I thought I had the formula finally which is 3.4gr of titegroup at 1.16 COL but i just found I'm a little over on my goal velocity. Average for 15 rounds was 972 fps. I'm shooting for 925-950 so tomorrow I'm gonna try 3.2gr at 1.16.

This has been fun experimenting. Keeping me busy during a rather boring week (stupid rain).
1.160 in a Glock magazine is getting REALLY close to max. A few more thousandths and
you run the risk of rounds hanging in the mag. I load all my 147 coated bullet minor ammo at
1.145, fits and functions in everything so far.

Hi Everyone,

I'm still pretty new to Reloading, my Lee Manual has been great but I have a few questions that I cant find in the book.

First some data that may or may not matter...

Test Gun - Shadow Systems MR920 9mm Compensated w/5" Barrel (its a gucci glock 19)
Powder - Hodgdon Titegroup
Casing - Range Brass, but only using Winchester cases for this test. Checked the trim length on all the test cases. I would say the average length was .745
Bullet - Blue Bullet 147gr

Here is the load data I am using which I got from the Hodgdon Website
View attachment 1112260

I made 3 sets of 5 bullets based off of grain and shot them today testing the muzzle velocity.

3.2 grs Average Velocity = 957
3.4 grs Average Velocity = 999
3.6 grs Average Velocity = 1013

Average C.O.L. for the bullets was 1.090 - 1.095"

For this test, I checked and rechecked my powder measure for each set using a Frankford Arsenal digital scale (yes I calibrated it). So I feel my powder measuring was accurate.

So comparing my results above to the starting and max loads in the screenshot, I seem to be much higher than recommended. I guess I'm asking for advice, I'm assuming the max muzzle velocity I should have is 929 according to the max load above. Why am I higher than recommended? I feel like I am doing something wrong. Should I go lower than the 3.2 grs? Maybe try 2.8 to reach the starting velocity recommended by hodgdon?
OOPS! Soryy for the echo info, I didn't read thru the complete thread before posting this. :s0054:

Different bullet from load data and longer barrel, yours is 5 inch, data is 4 inch.
Coated bullets are way "slippier" than jacketed...coefficient of friction.
jmo,

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews