JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought my first 9mm, and wondering what to use for it. I'm planning on making it my EDC once I shoot a few hundred through it. I use the Winchester PDX in my .40 and like them a lot, but am wondering about the Remmy golden sabres.

Thoughts?

Any of the quality defensive ammo made by any reputable maker will be a good choice. Just make SURE you gun cycles good with that ammo.

You will get a lot of X brand is better then Y brand but 99% of that is just personal choices. If there was 1 best round then that is all any one would make or carry.

^ +1 on the HST. I was unimpressed with the accuracy of golden sabre and gold dot. I carry HST now. CorBon's DPX ammo is supposed to be the cat's pajamas but it's awfully spendy, and didn't expand in the .380 variety I tested.

Pic pilfered from glocktalk at this thread: <broken link removed>

9mmtests.jpg

I especially like how the heavier 147gr stuff seems to expand as well as penetrate great instead of switching bullet weights for summer/winter.

I carry a 9mm very often for personal defense and I generally stick with corbon powerball, federal hydroshock and speer gold dot, doubletapdrew's chart is a good example of how your rounds will act on target but the best thing to do is figure out which one of these rounds you are most accurate with using your firearm.

I am a fan of the 147 grain Federal HST. I carry that in my Glock and the equivalent Federal round (in other calibers) in my other guns. I believe that a 147 grain round like the Federal HST goes a long way toward ending the .45 vs. 9mm debate.

As for the Golden Sabre, I have had troubles with it. I will not put the full blame on the ammo, as I was using it in a .32 auto and small caliber firearms can be a lot more finicky, but I had fail to feeds and extraction issues when I used it in my Kel Tec .32. About 1 in 5 shots resulted in a malfunction over a trial period of 2 boxes. I carry Federal HST 65 grains (if I remember the weight correctly) in that gun now and have had no problems with it (shot over 500-600 rounds with that type of ammo). In fact, I have shot many different types of ammo in that gun, including during the break-in period, and have never had a malfunction when using ammo other than the Golden Sabre.

DoubTap,
To make the picture legal, add:
Source: btfh.net
That came from the website where you got the picture.

Otherwise, I think Gold Dots and Fed HST are excellent rounds. I'd like to see a similar comparison including Hornady XTP and CorBon DPX

I like just about all the good brands though I'm carrying TAP 115 and 124 and will probably be switching to Grizzly Extreme 110gr(1350fps) as soon as Joe at NW Ammo strikes a deal with Mike at Grizzly.

That way, I can support two local businesses. You may have seen the Grizzly folks at the PDX gun shows selling ammo. Their 100&#37; copper bullets expand like CRAZY and they get some great velocities, too.

The extreme ammo doesn't seem to be on their site yet but contact Joe at NW Ammo for more info or email/call the folks at Grizzly. They are awesome people.

<broken link removed>

To be clear, I am not connected nor do I profit from any of this. I just got to hang out with Mike at SHOT 2010 and he's a great guy with a great outlook on shooting, life and in general.

^ +1 on the HST. I was unimpressed with the accuracy of golden sabre and gold dot. I carry HST now. CorBon's DPX ammo is supposed to be the cat's pajamas but it's awfully spendy, and didn't expand in the .380 variety I tested.

Pic pilfered from glocktalk at this thread: <broken link removed>

9mmtests.jpg

I especially like how the heavier 147gr stuff seems to expand as well as penetrate great instead of switching bullet weights for summer/winter.
Very nice. My personal choice is the RA9TA (Winchester Ranger Talon). Never a hiccup out of a G17, alot of stopping power for a 9mm.

+1 for Hornady Crit Defense.

Have both in .380 and 9mm and they are so reliable and expand everytime. After I saw them perform in various materials and always expand I was sold.

Note that the test results featured here are in WATER. That is only one indication of how a round will perform. The best tests are done in calibrated gelatin, behind layers of simulated clothing---to see if the cloth or leather would plug up the hollowpoint and prevent expansion. And another critical variable is the barrel length of the test weapon, as velocities are less in shorter barrels, which inhibits expansion.

If you have a few hours free just run a search engine for phrases like "9 mm ammunition test" and find dozens of sites and messageboards with testing results. Just pay attention to their testing method.

I suggest one site that features short-barrel results of gelatin testing: GoldenLoki.com He is a gunsmith that specializes in Kel-Tec pistol tuning.

Myself, I have studied many of these test sites and boards. Basically ALL of the premium US made big-brand names are excellent in performance. Plus P is always better, as is +P+ if your gun can handle it. If you can afford it, Corbon DPX is universally agreed to be the most effective. Remington +P Golden Saber is indeed very good. Most police agencies that still use 9mm seem to get contracts to use ("police only") Winchester Ranger Bonded +P+ 127gr 9mm, or Speer Gold Dot +P 124 gr 9mm.
I carry the latter because it is very available and not too expensive..........................elsullo

HST 147gr. On my HK P30L.

I have (3) box for sale. :)

But, Key Point is. It does not matter what's best on the market. It's what feed best on your gun. So try at least 200rd that you want use for HD.

Like I said, If it does not run well on your gun, It doesn't worth a dime.

HST 147gr. On my HK P30L.

I have (3) box for sale. :)

But, Key Point is. It does not matter what's best on the market. It's what feed best on your gun. So try at least 200rd that you want use for HD.

Like I said, If it does not run well on your gun, It doesn't worth a dime.

:s0155: Functionality is a key criteria. Judging by accuracy may not be the best rule of thumb since most SD shootings are at ranges under 10 yds. If you can't hit your target at those ranges with any ammo on the market you probably shouldn't be carrying.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top