JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Damn things sure are fun. Like having an SBR to play with but no year waiting for the damn OK and stupid stamp. The SB4 Brace is really nice too. Glad I went ahead and spent the money for it, very well made. I foresee a folding adapter from Santa for me:D:D:D
What did you do for your buffer system?

What did you do for your buffer system?
Same one that came with the Rifle kit I bought from 5D. I used the same lower I made, just took the stock and buffer tube off, the SD4 Brace came with a tube already on so just put the same set up into it. Seems to be working great. Empties are coming out very clean. So clean they look almost like the empties form my pistols. Going to need to order another one now so I can have both set up to go. UPS just dropped off 3 more lowers today !:D

Same one that came with the Rifle kit I bought from 5D. I used the same lower I made, just took the stock and buffer tube off, the SD4 Brace came with a tube already on so just put the same set up into it. Seems to be working great. Empties are coming out very clean. So clean they look almost like the empties form my pistols. Going to need to order another one now so I can have both set up to go. UPS just dropped off 3 more lowers today !:D
I was wondering about buffer weight and stuff. I ordered a dirty bird ar9 buffer. Its has an 8oz buffer, not sure what kind of spring. It also has a 6 position milspec buffer tube so I'm hoping there is an easy way to switch my sba3 back and forth off my other pistol

I was wondering about buffer weight and stuff. I ordered a dirty bird ar9 buffer. Its has an 8oz buffer, not sure what kind of spring. It also has a 6 position milspec buffer tube so I'm hoping there is an easy way to switch my sba3 back and forth off my other pistol

I can't remember what the weight was when I got the stuff from 5D. It was what they recommended for a 9mm so just went with it. In the rifle it did what all my other PCC's do, put a lot of soot on the brass. The SD4 I was going to try to take the brace off and see if it would fit the tube already on the lower. Could not get it off so gave up and just swapped the Tube with the brace. Need to mill out another lower now and get another buffer set up for the rifle. Primary seems to have all this stuff and I was sure happy with their service.

I can't remember what the weight was when I got the stuff from 5D. It was what they recommended for a 9mm so just went with it. In the rifle it did what all my other PCC's do, put a lot of soot on the brass. The SD4 I was going to try to take the brace off and see if it would fit the tube already on the lower. Could not get it off so gave up and just swapped the Tube with the brace. Need to mill out another lower now and get another buffer set up for the rifle. Primary seems to have all this stuff and I was sure happy with their service.
I looked up how to remove the sba3 brace from the buffer tube. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like you pull downwards on the lever and it pulls right off. Maybe it's the same for sba4.

I looked up how to remove the sba3 brace from the buffer tube. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like you pull downwards on the lever and it pulls right off. Maybe it's the same for sba4.

Well, damn that was easy now :D I was trying to get it the same way the M4 Stock worked and it's different. Lifted up like you said and it comes right off. Comparing the tube with the one from the Rifle and they are exactly the same size.

@Alexx1401,

That's a very nice looking pistol. I probably missed it upstream, but is that an FM lower? I have the 5D tactical jig and it is a nice piece. I don't regret spending the money at all. I need to get serious about completing a 9mm carbine though and get it done. Did that lower process ok in the 5D jig?

Thanks

@Alexx1401,

That's a very nice looking pistol. I probably missed it upstream, but is that an FM lower? I have the 5D tactical jig and it is a nice piece. I don't regret spending the money at all. I need to get serious about completing a 9mm carbine though and get it done. Did that lower process ok in the 5D jig?

Thanks
No its a lower that was an 80% from 5D. When I bought the jig I also bought a complete "kit", lower, lower kit from CMMG, rifle upper assembled, and M4 stock. Later I bought the FM upper and SD4 Brace from Primary. Bolted the FM upper and the brace on the lower I had already made. I just got a few more lowers in. Need to get one more finished so I will have the rifle and pistol at the same time.
The 5D jig is super easy to use. As others mentioned the only thing to do is just take your time at first. I was leery of trying it but they make it so anyone can do it by just following the directions. I watched that video 5D has on how to do it first then just followed the directions. Then looked at youtube to build the lower from the kit supplied and that too is super simple. I bought a DVD and book on it and never needed them it was so easy.
One thing I did change is the take down pins. Tried one by KNS that has a push button release. Liked it so much I bought several more. With those you don't have to use the detent's in your lower. this was one of the main things the instructions warned about. Loosing them while trying to build a lower. The pins are $18 a piece so pricey but, I liked the idea so much I am sold on them. It was a lot of fun building it and a ton of fun shooting it :D

One thing I did change is the take down pins. Tried one by KNS that has a push button release. Liked it so much I bought several more. With those you don't have to use the detent's in your lower. this was one of the main things the instructions warned about. Loosing them while trying to build a lower. The pins are $18 a piece so pricey but, I liked the idea so much I am sold on them. It was a lot of fun building it and a ton of fun shooting it :D
Got it, thanks for your help. Good tip on the pins!

I splurged on black Friday and pre black Friday deals. I just got my 5inch AR9 upper and my dirty bird PCC buffer delivered. Trying to set up my bench right now so I can mill out my first lower. I'm going to start on a $30 raw ar15 lower so if I have any problems I can chuck it. Then I'll mill out my AR9. Hopefully I can get it finished tonight but that's totally at the mercy of my 5 yr old daughter. Lol.

I splurged on black Friday and pre black Friday deals. I just got my 5inch AR9 upper and my dirty bird PCC buffer delivered. Trying to set up my bench right now so I can mill out my first lower. I'm going to start on a $30 raw ar15 lower so if I have any problems I can chuck it. Then I'll mill out my AR9. Hopefully I can get it finished tonight but that's totally at the mercy of my 5 yr old daughter. Lol.
Primary is impressive with how fast they get stuff out. When I tried them I saw them advertising it but figured, sure. They were not blowing smoke, they are almost on Amazon kind of speed :D
When I got my Jig it did have the added advantage of getting me to finally build a new bench for me. When we moved over a year ago I had some of the stuff. Every time I had a long weekend It was on the to do list and then I would not. I finally built it for that project and of course ever since use it daily. Wondering why I took so damn long to make another one:eek:
When I did my lower I did 1/2 depth passes each step since I was just sure I would screw up a $150 lower but it was amazingly easy with the jig. Have fun with it!!

Primary is impressive with how fast they get stuff out. When I tried them I saw them advertising it but figured, sure. They were not blowing smoke, they are almost on Amazon kind of speed :D
When I got my Jig it did have the added advantage of getting me to finally build a new bench for me. When we moved over a year ago I had some of the stuff. Every time I had a long weekend It was on the to do list and then I would not. I finally built it for that project and of course ever since use it daily. Wondering why I took so damn long to make another one:eek:
When I did my lower I did 1/2 depth passes each step since I was just sure I would screw up a $150 lower but it was amazingly easy with the jig. Have fun with it!!
I'm going to do half hash mark passes as well because my lowers are 7075 aluminum. I'm going to start in the morning when the family is all sleeping. Tried to start tonight but too many distractions so I gave up.

I'm going to do half hash mark passes as well because my lowers are 7075 aluminum. I'm going to start in the morning when the family is all sleeping. Tried to start tonight but too many distractions so I gave up.
It makes a lot of noise, family may not be friendly to the idea while sleeping:D
I hooked a small shop vac up to mine to help keep the mess down and it did, but of course adds to the noise level.:eek:

So finally started milling this morning. Everything good so far. The only problem I ran into was with my router. I bought a new Makita router so I could keep it set up for lowers. I started halfway on the first hash mark and was getting chatter and having a really tough time cutting. I put the router back in the depth template and it showed me on the 3rd hash mark! The guide was slipping because the bolts weren't tight enough out of the box. After I tightened those it's been smooth sailing.

Question though, is it better to drill the trigger and safety holes before, or after milling?

So finally started milling this morning. Everything good so far. The only problem I ran into was with my router. I bought a new Makita router so I could keep it set up for lowers. I started halfway on the first hash mark and was getting chatter and having a really tough time cutting. I put the router back in the depth template and it showed me on the 3rd hash mark! The guide was slipping because the bolts weren't tight enough out of the box. After I tightened those it's been smooth sailing.

Question though, is it better to drill the trigger and safety holes before, or after milling?
5D sells an endmill for this that threads to the router. They have them for many routers. I figured it was worth buying one since that is the other place some have had the same problem. Collet letting bit slip. When I did mine I drilled the holes last only because that was how they said to do it. Not sure it would matter if done first.
Once you get done it's VERY satisfying to have a lower that works!!:D

Question though, is it better to drill the trigger and safety holes before, or after milling
It can be done either way but I would prefer to drill the holes second to avoid the interrupted cut you'd get passing through the holes. Especially if you're using a router instead of a mill. You'll get a burr in the pocket if you drill last and in the hole if you mill last. With sharp tools, the burr is a minor consideration.

Avoid chatter if you can. That's what causes bits to loosen up and drop down...which causes chatter...which loosens the bit...repeat. Don't get in a hurry -- take little bites.

I've always done the pin and selector holes last.

Glad to hear it's going pretty well so far!

Here is my finished ar9. Started with an 80% Glock lower from AAO Mfg, Aero precision LPK. Foxtrot Mike's 5 inch fm-9 upper. Dirty bird PCC buffer kit and SBA3 brace. It looks pretty good, I wish the lower would have had a threaded pin for the bolt catch because I marred the finish some. I want to replace the takedown and pivot pin, and probably get some anti walk pins for trigger and hammer. I love how compact this thing is, probably going to put a Law tactical folder on it if the upper is compatible.

Edit: sorry for the poor image quality

20191202_200551.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews